Dead Space , dead boring

#1 Posted by Rick (52 posts) -

Come on. Dead Space isn't that great a game. It's an ok-game. Nothing more, nothing less. The atmosphere was dark.. and there were some scary moments here and there. But it's not an innovating game. It's basically Doom 3 in third person. The story sucked. Not many different enemies. Apart from the balde cutter thing, weapons were not so good. The NPC were boring, just standing around, argueing all the time... why bother rescueing these people.
#2 Posted by atejas (3057 posts) -

Rick said:
But it's not an innovating game.

Because we all fucking loved Spore.
Rick said:
The story sucked. Not many different enemies. Apart from the balde cutter thing, weapons were not so good.
It's a horror game. Go play UT or something if you want rocket launchers and other weapons like that. And the story was pretty decent.

#3 Posted by Icemael (6363 posts) -
Rick said:
But it's not an innovating game. 
Since when do games have to be innovative to be good? Wipeout HD, Mega Man 9, Bioshock, Fallout 3 - none of those are innovative, and all of them are awesome...
The story sucked. 
Maybe in your opinion, but there are many who disagree.
Not many different enemies.
I agree with you here but still, it didn't ruin the game in any way.
 Apart from the balde cutter thing, weapons were not so good.
As atejas said, it's a horror game. The weapons were supposed to be stuff you'd expect to find in a mining ship, not rocket launchers and miniguns.
 The NPC were boring, just standing around, argueing all the time... why bother rescueing these people.
I don't know what you're complaining about here. What do you mean "why bother rescuing these people"? When did Isaac try to rescue them?
#4 Posted by hendersonman (161 posts) -

I found this game to be very awesome. For a new IP this game brought a lot of polish to it. It had a zero gravity idea that worked. The scares were awesome when you would expect something to happen to your right, instead it happens to your left. And the sound design was just ridiculous. Doom 3.. really... come on.

#5 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Uh, it actually did innovate guys. Remember? Cutscenes happening over your shoulder while action was still going on? Maybe it was so well integrated that we've all forgotten, but that shoulder monitor hologram thingy was awesome.

#6 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

I haven't played the game, myself. From the gameplay videos it really looked pretty standard and dull to me. I can't really judge from that, though. I'll probably buy it when it's cheap.

Either way, the people here are right. Innovation, while important to the industry, does not a good game make. In fact, sometimes I wish people would make more standard games with new and interesting settings and stories. Gameplay innovation is nice, but lets not ignore what is most important.

#7 Posted by Shazam (474 posts) -

Everyone else seems to have shot down your argument for me, but seriously dude, don't be so negative. I don't even like the horror genre and I loved it. The story keeps you guessing, the HUD display is very innovative and who needs weapons when you can stomp zombies?

#8 Edited by Voldy (100 posts) -
Rick said:
"
Come on. Dead Space isn't that great a game. It's an ok-game. Nothing more, nothing less. The atmosphere was dark.. and there were some scary moments here and there. But it's not an innovating game. It's basically Doom 3 in third person. The story sucked. Not many different enemies. Apart from the balde cutter thing, weapons were not so good. The NPC were boring, just standing around, argueing all the time... why bother rescueing these people."
I agree, the story isn't very good, weapons are boring. I wrote a review, my first one in years, I was that dissapointed with the game
#9 Posted by daniel_beck_90 (3159 posts) -

I Loved Dead Space , the game was a combination of  Doom 3 , Resident Evil 4 and Bioshock  but the result was a brand new experience never witnessed before .   Actually the aforementioned games never really scared me as much as Dead Space (specially Resident evil 4  which was as scary as Wii fit ) .  and it is not just gameplay that keep the player excited all the time (I personally  feel the adrenaline in my blood while playing Dead Space)  but also  the sound design and music were absolutely astounding  . I was not scared that much by playing a horror game in a long time  . (last time it was Silent hill 2   ) .
All and all Dead Space is a great game and I hope the developers work on a sequel or at least create another game like Dead Space .

#10 Posted by pause422 (6239 posts) -

Ok for one, this should be in the Dead Space forums , not general. For two, isn't the whole, disliking a certain game that plenty of other people liked, but taking the time to point out how "bad" you think it was, as if you're trying to convert people into agreeing with you fucking retarded and childish? Yes. Yes it is. You don't like the game, great. Don't play it then, no one cares to hear someone basically preaching their opinion on others hoping to change them.

#11 Posted by wrecks (2318 posts) -

Ricky just don't likey games dat much.  Dead Space is a super tight, well designed game. Lots of really cool innovations from the diismemberment gameplay, to the non-quicktime events, to the sound design, to the hud system, etc. Yes, the story is somewhat generic, but it's a horror story. Most horror stories follow the same generic pattern, its part of the charm.  The only flaws I found in the game were minor. Too bad it didn't sell all that well, probably won't see a sequel.

#12 Posted by Gunner612 (4338 posts) -

I can see why everyone loved the game, but i dont care for survival horror games so i didnt really enjoy it. Its a shame because it was the only game i could play for a month.

#13 Edited by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Everyone here has said this game is a horror but I really didn't find any of it scary at all. It's an incredibly gory game, yes, but that is not frightening. Also, the dismemberment was a failure. Rather than shooting the head off every time, you shoot the leg off every time. Not really that innovative.

#14 Posted by Red (5994 posts) -

Vinny needs to come and kill you.

#15 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I'm on Chapter 10 and I'm still liking this game, but your post changed my mind. I'll return it now... not.

#16 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1917 posts) -

The only thing I didn't like about the game was the backtracking. Otherwise, I had a great time with it; I even ended up playing through it two more times.

#17 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -

dude this is getting tired, you constantly troll w/ new threads about "POPULAR GAME X IS OVER RATED / BORING" 

Get a fucking life, that troll gimmick ended in 2001

#18 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
Hexpane said:
"dude this is getting tired, you constantly troll w/ new threads about "POPULAR GAME X IS OVER RATED / BORING" 

Get a fucking life, that troll gimmick ended in 2001"
Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's not a valid opinion.
#19 Posted by Hexpane (1397 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"Hexpane said:
"dude this is getting tired, you constantly troll w/ new threads about "POPULAR GAME X IS OVER RATED / BORING" 

Get a fucking life, that troll gimmick ended in 2001"
Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it's not a valid opinion."
Incorrect, I do agree that dead space (the demo) was boring.  All opinions are valid.

However have you noticed this user starts new threads specifically to say popular game X is boring/sucks?  That is called trolling 101
#20 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

This game was not that great. And it was not scary at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.