Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Dead Space = Game of the Year 2008?

Gigastormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 1

Edited By Gigastormz

On Monday night I finished Dead Space and I'm currently on my 2nd playthrough. (That for me is pretty rare, I don't often play a game more than once). I can honestly say, this is the best game I've played in quite some time and it currently gets my vote for Game of the Year 2008. If you've been living under a rock for the past few months, Dead Space is a survival horror game that takes place on a stranded spacecraft. You play as an engineer, Isaac Clarke, who is part of a rescue team sent to investigate a distress signal received by the USG Ishimura, which is a mining ship stuck in orbit over the planet Aegis 7. When you dock with the Ishimura you soon realize that things have gone horribly wrong and you spend the game fending off necromorphs while trying to figure out what the hell happened as you try and get the Ishimura up and running again.

This game is all about atmosphere. The mood, the look, the sounds, the ambience, the lighting, the interface and the graphics all come together in perfect harmony to suck you in and creep the hell out of you. This game isn't the "jump out and scare you" type of game, it's just creepy all around. If I had to compare the creepyness to another game, it would be most like Silent Hill. The sounds, music and lighting are what scare you, not monsters jumping out in front of you, although that does happen every once in awhile.

Dead Space does a great job of engrossing you in its world. Once you start up a game, you are never taken out of the world and always feel like a part of it. While there are menus in the game, they appear in the game itself. Your health bar and stasis bar are on Isaac's back. Your inventory screen, map screen and objective screens are all projected holographically by Isaac in the game. Messages from crew members will be projected in front of Isaac in the game itself. You always feel like a part of the game this way. It may seem a little weird at first, but you will quickly get used to it. I absolutely love it and it really adds to the experience.

I am always on edge while playing Dead Space and the sound is the main reason for this. You are constantly hearing strange noises while walking around the Ishimura and you always think somethings going to be around the next corner. The sound in this game is perfection. It's hard to explain sound effects in text, but you will hear rumblings in the distance, moans, screams, whispers, objects rattling and the walls creaking. The music itself also adds to the fear. It is often subtle ambience, but when a necromorph appears the music gets much louder and heightens the tension. The sound and music are really something you have to experience for yourself. I recommend you turn the volume way, way up. If Dead Space wins any awards at all, at the very least it should win an award for best sound design. It is that good.

The graphics are some of the best I've ever seen and probably the best I've experienced on my HDTV that was purchased this past summer. I highly recommend playing this game on a large TV if you have the ability to do so.

The creatures themselves are like a cross between the abominations in John Carpenter's The Thing, and the nightmarish things in Silent Hill. They are all extremely creepy and they scare the shit out of you when you see one coming straight for you. That's right, these things run, they don't always walk. They are not zombies or parasites, rather alien in origin. One unique thing about the creatures in Dead Space is that you can't kill them easily by just blowing their heads off, or just shooting in their direction. The quickest way to kill them is to sever their limbs. Shoot off a leg, shoot off an arm, and they go down much easier. There are some exceptions to this rule though. A few of the tougher enemies will punish you if you don't shoot in the right area. I won't spoil the fun, but just keep an eye out.

You may have heard some of the negative comments about Dead Space, but I think they are all horse shit. Some people have said the game is nothing more than Resident Evil 4 but in space. Whoever says this is an idiot and should be shot in the kneecaps. It is nothing like Resident Evil. Just because it is a survival horror type game and uses a similar over the shoulder camera view doesn't mean its a Resident Evil clone. Clearly these people aren't even paying attention to the game they are playing. Or they haven't even played it themselves. Other people have said Dead Space uses inventory management and lack of ammo to add to the tension. Inventory can become an issue, this is true, but I don't think it adds to the tension. If anything, running out of ammo in a firefight and spending precious seconds reloading your weapon are what really causes the tension.

Inventory can become an issue if you aren't playing the game right. In Dead Space you can carry around up to 4 weapons at a time. What will happen if you do this, is that you will begin to pick up ammo for the 1 or 2 weapons you aren't using when you really need ammo for the ones you do like using. You will naturally find a couple weapons that you like and carry a couple extra for emergency purposes. I had this issue at first, but I have a solution: I decided to carry around only 3 weapons. 2 main ones and then 1 for emergencies. Later in the game, I found I was getting tons of drops for the 1 weapon I didn't like to use much. That extra ammo fills up space I could be using for other things. Then I decided to just carry 2 weapons around (my 2 upgraded ones). This completely solved the problem and I never again had an issue with inventory management.

Aside from this one minor problem, there is nothing negative I can say about this game. Overall the game is fantastic. It's as close to perfection as you can get. I've had an absolute blast playing this game and I highly recommend it to everyone. I feel like this is 2008's BioShock, only Dead Space is suffering by being released around the time when other huge sequels are coming out like Saints Row 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Resistance 2, Gears of Wars 2 and several others. BioShock did it right by releasing in August when you weren't being barraged by dozens of other AAA titles. Its a shame really, because this game deserves as much attention as those other games are receiving, if not more so. Do yourself a favor and check this game out.

Gigastormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Gigastormz

On Monday night I finished Dead Space and I'm currently on my 2nd playthrough. (That for me is pretty rare, I don't often play a game more than once). I can honestly say, this is the best game I've played in quite some time and it currently gets my vote for Game of the Year 2008. If you've been living under a rock for the past few months, Dead Space is a survival horror game that takes place on a stranded spacecraft. You play as an engineer, Isaac Clarke, who is part of a rescue team sent to investigate a distress signal received by the USG Ishimura, which is a mining ship stuck in orbit over the planet Aegis 7. When you dock with the Ishimura you soon realize that things have gone horribly wrong and you spend the game fending off necromorphs while trying to figure out what the hell happened as you try and get the Ishimura up and running again.

This game is all about atmosphere. The mood, the look, the sounds, the ambience, the lighting, the interface and the graphics all come together in perfect harmony to suck you in and creep the hell out of you. This game isn't the "jump out and scare you" type of game, it's just creepy all around. If I had to compare the creepyness to another game, it would be most like Silent Hill. The sounds, music and lighting are what scare you, not monsters jumping out in front of you, although that does happen every once in awhile.

Dead Space does a great job of engrossing you in its world. Once you start up a game, you are never taken out of the world and always feel like a part of it. While there are menus in the game, they appear in the game itself. Your health bar and stasis bar are on Isaac's back. Your inventory screen, map screen and objective screens are all projected holographically by Isaac in the game. Messages from crew members will be projected in front of Isaac in the game itself. You always feel like a part of the game this way. It may seem a little weird at first, but you will quickly get used to it. I absolutely love it and it really adds to the experience.

I am always on edge while playing Dead Space and the sound is the main reason for this. You are constantly hearing strange noises while walking around the Ishimura and you always think somethings going to be around the next corner. The sound in this game is perfection. It's hard to explain sound effects in text, but you will hear rumblings in the distance, moans, screams, whispers, objects rattling and the walls creaking. The music itself also adds to the fear. It is often subtle ambience, but when a necromorph appears the music gets much louder and heightens the tension. The sound and music are really something you have to experience for yourself. I recommend you turn the volume way, way up. If Dead Space wins any awards at all, at the very least it should win an award for best sound design. It is that good.

The graphics are some of the best I've ever seen and probably the best I've experienced on my HDTV that was purchased this past summer. I highly recommend playing this game on a large TV if you have the ability to do so.

The creatures themselves are like a cross between the abominations in John Carpenter's The Thing, and the nightmarish things in Silent Hill. They are all extremely creepy and they scare the shit out of you when you see one coming straight for you. That's right, these things run, they don't always walk. They are not zombies or parasites, rather alien in origin. One unique thing about the creatures in Dead Space is that you can't kill them easily by just blowing their heads off, or just shooting in their direction. The quickest way to kill them is to sever their limbs. Shoot off a leg, shoot off an arm, and they go down much easier. There are some exceptions to this rule though. A few of the tougher enemies will punish you if you don't shoot in the right area. I won't spoil the fun, but just keep an eye out.

You may have heard some of the negative comments about Dead Space, but I think they are all horse shit. Some people have said the game is nothing more than Resident Evil 4 but in space. Whoever says this is an idiot and should be shot in the kneecaps. It is nothing like Resident Evil. Just because it is a survival horror type game and uses a similar over the shoulder camera view doesn't mean its a Resident Evil clone. Clearly these people aren't even paying attention to the game they are playing. Or they haven't even played it themselves. Other people have said Dead Space uses inventory management and lack of ammo to add to the tension. Inventory can become an issue, this is true, but I don't think it adds to the tension. If anything, running out of ammo in a firefight and spending precious seconds reloading your weapon are what really causes the tension.

Inventory can become an issue if you aren't playing the game right. In Dead Space you can carry around up to 4 weapons at a time. What will happen if you do this, is that you will begin to pick up ammo for the 1 or 2 weapons you aren't using when you really need ammo for the ones you do like using. You will naturally find a couple weapons that you like and carry a couple extra for emergency purposes. I had this issue at first, but I have a solution: I decided to carry around only 3 weapons. 2 main ones and then 1 for emergencies. Later in the game, I found I was getting tons of drops for the 1 weapon I didn't like to use much. That extra ammo fills up space I could be using for other things. Then I decided to just carry 2 weapons around (my 2 upgraded ones). This completely solved the problem and I never again had an issue with inventory management.

Aside from this one minor problem, there is nothing negative I can say about this game. Overall the game is fantastic. It's as close to perfection as you can get. I've had an absolute blast playing this game and I highly recommend it to everyone. I feel like this is 2008's BioShock, only Dead Space is suffering by being released around the time when other huge sequels are coming out like Saints Row 2, Fable 2, Fallout 3, Resistance 2, Gears of Wars 2 and several others. BioShock did it right by releasing in August when you weren't being barraged by dozens of other AAA titles. Its a shame really, because this game deserves as much attention as those other games are receiving, if not more so. Do yourself a favor and check this game out.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Pibo47

Oh my fucking god.....giga has come to giantbomb. People run and hide, things are about to get ulgy. And i have to disagree with you giga. Deadspace was alright, but it was just another shooter were you play a badass on a neat ship. The atmosphere was great, but the game wasnt scary and the bad guys were to easy to kill. The story was predictable, but interesting. I really liked the game, but it just wasnt what i hoping it to be, because i was hoping that it would be scary.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

It's definitely the best new IP this year if nothing else.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Pibo47
    get2sammyb said:
    "It's definitely the best new IP this year if nothing else."
    I wouldnt even say that. Their are still new IP's coming out with much promise.
    samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By samcotts
    get2sammyb said:
    LittleBigPlanet?
    jimb0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jimb0

Right on, dude. I don't even think I'll be able to pick my favourite this year from what I've played, and there are still a couple months left to go!

I need to finish my second playthrough myself. Did you continue from your end-game save, or are you tackling Impossible??

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I agree. My GOTY thus far for sure.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jayge_

I would never nominate a survival/horror or anything/horror game for game of the year.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGTAvaccine
    Jayge said:
    "I would never nominate a survival/horror or anything/horror game for game of the year."
    Why not? Or do you mean just YOU personally?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
    TheGTAvaccine said:
    "Jayge said:
    "I would never nominate a survival/horror or anything/horror game for game of the year."
    Why not? Or do you mean just YOU personally?"
    Me. I would never. Ever.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Hamz

I wouldn't say Dead Space is GOTY for me, but its looking like a strong contender.

Gigastormz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gigastormz

jimb0: I continued from my end game save so I could see the military suit, and try and get some of the other achievements.  I also want to try and play it through using only the plasma cutter (for that achievement as well).  The Orange Box had an achievement like that, where you use only the gravity gun for HL2:Episode 1.  I did that and it was quite challenging but also very enjoyable.  I would like to try impossible, but I think I'll save that for a later date.

My opinion could certainly change about Dead Space being the game of the year, since I have yet to play Fallout 3 (just got it today), Gears of War 2 and Resistance 2 among other things, but as of this second I say it is my 2008 game of the year.

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By stucket

hmm....Dead space has a chance to be goty

got to see,fallout 3 aint that big,neither is red alert 3 ,nor Fable 2....spore is horribly short....so yea, High chance , oh yea Gears of war 2 and Resistance too,forgot about those

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By pause422

I think its a great new game(though hearing it could of just been a system shock before dead space made me feel uncomfortable a bit) but it will hardly be called GOTY by anyone I'd have to say. It will be between the big RPGs and big shooters this year. Though I honestly hate GOTY talk in general because no one single site/mag has some all out 100% right GOTY, they all choose different ones, and are just opinions.

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stucket
    MadBootsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By MadBootsy

Dead Space was indeed awesome. I'd say it's one of my personal favorites of the year. Probably wouldn't say its my "GOTY" though....too early to tell. :P

Avatar image for lightwarrior179
    lightwarrior179

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lightwarrior179

Can't say it would be the popular choice for GotY 2008 but as an underdog Dead Space is definitely up there.
    I personally think that neither of the "perfect" games-- MGS4 nor GTA IV will get GotY this year the reason being that both the series have never been the preferential choice for the GotY ever.
    LittleBigPlanet's got a chance. So has Fallout 3. Gears 2 is definitely looking to mow down on the competition....so yeah,difficult to predict right now. :P

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TwoOneFive

best new franchise no doubt, but maybe not goty

i stil think mgs4 has a chance along with games like LBP
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Bulldog19892

It's a great game for sure, but there have been, and probably will be a ton of great games released this year. GOTY 2008 is going to be a difficult one.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20  Edited By Kazona

I still haven't played Dead Space. Went with Saints Row 2 and Fallout 3 instead. I want to play it though, but too many games, too little money. Bah.

stucket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stucket

i agree,no money

Game prices go up
    Economy goes down
    our money goes down
    How to pay for them!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb
    samcotts said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    LittleBigPlanet?"
    Oh poo yeah.

Well certainly LBP, Dead Space and Mirrors Edge are among the very best new franchises. Then I suppose you have the likes of L4D (if it's out this year) etc. So yeah.

There's no doubt about it that it's up there anyway.
    synt4x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#23  Edited By synt4x
    samcotts said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    LittleBigPlanet?"
    Meh
    100th_bullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 100th_bullet

[deleted]

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks

I think it's simply a great game, one with a lot of style and some very cool aspects, some of which aid and propel the genre forward.  As much as I like the game I do not think it deserves GOTY just yet, I think we need to wait a little while longer before trying to assess which game deserves that accolade,

SpinCookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26  Edited By SpinCookie

Probably been said already but I think either MGS4 or GTA4 will win GOTY at most outlets.  I'd personally go with MGS4, although I haven't played Dead Space yet.  Its on it's way from GameFly now.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Captain_Fookup

As far as right now I'd have to say it has my GOTY thumbs up, then again that may change come tomorrow when I pick up Gears of War 2.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.