Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

Do you think Necromorphs are scary?

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

Edited By insanejedi

1up and other publications said the monsters in Dead Space are more like ridiculous looking plants. Personally i think after finishing the game, Necromorphs are one of the most horrifying creatures I've ever seen in any media. Unlike zombies they are very fast, and unlike many other horror monsters decapitation or shooting someone in the head doesn't work.

During the game, I've always thought I was in tense danger, none that i couldn't deal with, but even the most basic necromorph, I was always in the mindset of "I don't want that thing to get anywhere near me."

I dunno, what do you think?

insanejedi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#1  Edited By insanejedi

1up and other publications said the monsters in Dead Space are more like ridiculous looking plants. Personally i think after finishing the game, Necromorphs are one of the most horrifying creatures I've ever seen in any media. Unlike zombies they are very fast, and unlike many other horror monsters decapitation or shooting someone in the head doesn't work.

During the game, I've always thought I was in tense danger, none that i couldn't deal with, but even the most basic necromorph, I was always in the mindset of "I don't want that thing to get anywhere near me."

I dunno, what do you think?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By get2sammyb

I've read a few reviews saying that the Dead Space "zombies" were laughable but - nuh-uh I don't agree. To say they were absolutely horrific would be an exaggeration but I still think they were brilliantly designed and the first time I played the first few chapters I jumped several times.

A game has never made me jump before.

MasterSplinter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MasterSplinter

Necrophiliacs are much scarier...  =O

I think after you see the main crop of monsters the first few times it loses its "scare" factor a bit, but I suppose that can be said for most games of the genre, no? Maybe if there were more of them, the tension would have increased.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HandsomeDead

They're gruesome, but due to the high volume, you get desensitised too quick.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

I don't really think they're scary at all...the creatures etc weren't that scary in the game. The scariness brought on by Dead Space comes from the atmosphere, sound and overall mood it puts you in. It's one of the best games in that department!

drik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By drik

I have a problem considering things that think with their legs dangerous. So by not finding them dangerous didn`t quite think they`re scary. Howerer, whoever wrote that they look like plants clearly have some f`ed up shit growing in their attics. I find them looking more like an overgrown STD virus... :|

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sarnecki

They become pedestrian when you see them several times in a few minutes.  The baby fetus monster had you on edge the first time you saw it.  Admit it, you did not want to go into that fetus chamber at all..  Down the line, it's simply a matter of thank god that's a fetus and not a super fast necro or something.  Quick line gun round and he's dead.

I think the fact that necros have stalks is why they consider them plant like.  Silly comparison.

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Subway

I thought they were kinda scary.

r3b3lr0b0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By r3b3lr0b0t

The only ones that freaked me the freak out were the really tall ones wearing the rags... I ran into one of those in silent space and nearly fell out of my chair.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Linkyshinks
    HandsomeDead said:
    "They're gruesome, but due to the high volume, you get desensitised too quick."
    What he said.

I do think they are scary but the lack of extreme and subtle variation lessens the effect greatly. I think some are beautifully designed and could easily be the work of HR Giger, in fact I am almost certain the babies were inspired by his work..

1up are lame.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TwoOneFive
    drik said:
    "I have a problem considering things that think with their legs dangerous. So by not finding them dangerous didn`t quite think they`re scary. Howerer, whoever wrote that they look like plants clearly have some f`ed up shit growing in their attics. I find them looking more like an overgrown STD virus... :|"
    you can say fuck. just wanted to say that.
    anyways, the soldier necromorphs are very scary. all super fast and twitchy 

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#13  Edited By Vinchenzo

Scary, sure, but due to the whole desensitization thing not so much. The real reason they are scary is because their disfigurations are human. Whenever you take a human design and twist it in such a way that it still retains the human features, but is not much of a human anymore, is the primary factor of scariness. At least that's what I figure. What I do believe is that games can be scarier, but would go well over the current rating system and into AO territory. I honestly want to see people rip themselves apart with their fingernails. In this current day and age, over-the-top is not enough.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Vinchenzo said:
    "Scary, sure, but due to the whole desensitization thing not so much. The real reason they are scary is because their disfigurations are human. Whenever you take a human design and twist it in such a way that it still retains the human features, but is not much of a human anymore, is the primary factor of scariness. At least that's what I figure. What I do believe is that games can be scarier, but would go well over the current rating system and into AO territory. I honestly want to see people rip themselves apart with their fingernails. In this current day and age, over-the-top is not enough."
    the movie alien was scary as fuck because the alien had a human-like figure, but looked insanely ALIEN. extremely scary when that came out, right after jaws, which was the scariest movie at the time. must have been amazing to see that when it first came out. 
    elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By elbow

I thought what made them scary wasn't so much their appearance, which was more disgusting than anything, but it was their absolutely relentless persuit of you that made them somewhat scary.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Sarnecki

Super fast and in your grill isn't scary.  That's a different sort of emotion.  Startling maybe.

MetalRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MetalRocker

My heart races at the thought of one of them charging at me out of no where, but they aren't terrifying, more adrenaline inducing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.