Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

My Experience of Dead Space

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'm currently on chapter 9, of which there are 12 chapters. I can reasonably say I have seen most of what Dead Space has to offer, and was wondering if anybody had questions in their buying/rental decision. I will have a user review up tomorrow, with a planned score of 5/5 stars. So go ahead and ask some things, and I will give you an answer.

Edit: Guess since nobody really has any questions I'll actually add my experience, which I should have done in the first place. So far it's pretty interesting, I like the enemy variety and the brutality of the entire package. The backtracking is somewhat of a disappointment, where for example level 8 is the same as level 4 but different events. You also always backtrack through the current level to get back to the tram and move on. I've played for about 7 and a half hours, so the game should clock in at 9-11 hours for me on Easy. Upgrading everything will definitely take more than one playthrough, maybe even 2 or 2 and a half. Hard to tell.

I'm also going through the game with the Plasma Cutter only, for the achievement. It's such a unique weapon and limb dismemberment is incredibly useful, so decimating the game with a single weapon is good stuff.

Avatar image for disabilityfishy
    DisAbiLityFisHy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By DisAbiLityFisHy

Sounds great. Looks like your making progress, hope you get that achievement soon !
    Can't wait to pick this game up !

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Vinchenzo said:
    . Upgrading everything will definitely take more than one playthrough, maybe even 2 or 2 and a half. Hard to tell.
    So your equipment rolls over into the second playthrough a la Mass Effect?
    Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Demilich

I just have one question that nobody seems to be able to answer for me;

Is the highest difficulty setting available from the start?

Shawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Shawn

$60 worthy?

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Demilich said:
    "I just have one question that nobody seems to be able to answer for me;

Is the highest difficulty setting available from the start?"
    No. "Impossible" requires a play-through.

Shawn said:
    "$60 worthy?"
    If you have the cash for the holiday season. I'd recommend a rent, but when things die down it's a definite buy.

Sir_Ragnarok said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    . Upgrading everything will definitely take more than one playthrough, maybe even 2 or 2 and a half. Hard to tell.
    So your equipment rolls over into the second playthrough a la Mass Effect?"
    Yes. There is a "New Game+" or w/e. I believe you can also change difficulties, therefore Hard + Upgraded stuff = somewhat easier?
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Discorsi

How is the story?

Did any of the parts truly leave you creeped out or scared?

What is the meaning of life?

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Shadow

I'm playing through it right now.  Man, hard is HARD.  It probably would have been easier if in the first level, I realized you could destroy green crates to get stuff.  Ammo was in short supply that level.

Demilich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Demilich
    Shadow said:
    "I'm playing through it right now.  Man, hard is HARD.  It probably would have been easier if in the first level, I realized you could destroy green crates to get stuff.  Ammo was in short supply that level."
    Are you on /v/ right now...?
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By get2sammyb

I have a question - why do people play their games on easy the first play through? It just makes the experience seem so shallow, not what it should be and makes the game short. I know someone who played MGS4 on easy and just ran through it because he wanted to finish it quicker. Like, why?

Irritates me that does. I'll play through on hard first time - if it really is TOO hard then I'll replay on medium.

Just a thought. Anyway - game looks awesome... I want to be surprised so I'mma ask no questions.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Vinchenzo
    get2sammyb said:
    "I have a question - why do people play their games on easy the first play through? It just makes the experience seem so shallow, not what it should be and makes the game short. I know someone who played MGS4 on easy and just ran through it because he wanted to finish it quicker. Like, why?

Irritates me that does. I'll play through on hard first time - if it really is TOO hard then I'll replay on medium.

Just a thought. Anyway - game looks awesome... I want to be surprised so I'mma ask no questions."
    The reason I am playing on Easy is because I am doing the "One Gun" run-through. Which means I can only use the plasma cutter. So I was not sure how the game was going to be, how the weapons were, etc.

Discorsi said:
    "How is the story?

Did any of the parts truly leave you creeped out or scared?

What is the meaning of life?

"

Story is interesting, but it sometimes annoys me. Honestly, my character gets screwed so many times it's ridiculous. I was also only creeped out the first hour. Now when I see a "dead body" I approach with caution, I aim before I go through a door, and so on. Occasionally you see a nice scripted sequence which is where the main creepiness derives from.
    Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Subway

You can destroy the green crates and get stuff?! fuck....

Anyways I'm only on chapter 4, but I love this game, it's like BioShock, with better gameplay and a worse story.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By daniel_beck_90

this game for me is like Bioshock meats Doom meats resident evil 4

Subway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Subway
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "this game for me is like Bioshock meats Doom meats resident evil 4"
    Thats actually quite accurate, it takes so many ideas from BioShock its just about funny.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vinchenzo
    Subway said:
    "You can destroy the green crates and get stuff?! fuck....

Anyways I'm only on chapter 4, but I love this game, it's like BioShock, with better gameplay and a worse story."
    You should see the ending! Aha... going to write my review right now.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Vinchenzo

My review is up, so anybody interested in the game should check it out.

AaronBelfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AaronBelfast
    Vinchenzo said:
    "My review is up, so anybody interested in the game should check it out."
    Neat layout. The text wasn't too much nor too little. Might get this game, decisions...
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I left some pretty extensive impressions in my blog as well. Great, great game.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Vinchenzo

I've started an achievement guide, so if you feel like you want to add some information go ahead and message me. For now I am fleshing out the achievements.

Solid_SnakeXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Solid_SnakeXx

can you tell me how long is this game ( to beat)
    And is there any online mode?
    Does it have trophies?  custom soundtracks?

PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By PenguinNerd
    AaronBelfast said:
    "Vinchenzo said:
    "My review is up, so anybody interested in the game should check it out."
    Neat layout. The text wasn't too much nor too little. Might get this game, decisions..."
    No you WILL get this game...Solid_SnakeXx said:
    "can you tell me how long is this game ( to beat)
    And is there any online mode?
    Does it have trophies?  custom soundtracks?"
    no online, yes to trophies...pretty sure they are the exact same as achievements and no custom soundtracks...but seriously you sooo don't need it for this game
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By jakob187
    daniel_beck_90 said:
    "this game for me is like Bioshock meats Doom meats resident evil 4"
    That's a fairly accurate...if poorly spelled...description of the influences that are used to create the game.  There's also a good style of influence from Event Horizon and a handful of other sci-fi flicks, but gameplay-wise, I think those three are dead on the head of what I had thought in my first play-through.
    Vinchenzo said:
    "I'm currently on chapter 9, of which there are 12 chapters. I can reasonably say I have seen most of what Dead Space has to offer, and was wondering if anybody had questions in their buying/rental decision. I will have a user review up tomorrow, with a planned score of 5/5 stars. So go ahead and ask some things, and I will give you an answer.

Edit: Guess since nobody really has any questions I'll actually add my experience, which I should have done in the first place. So far it's pretty interesting, I like the enemy variety and the brutality of the entire package. The backtracking is somewhat of a disappointment, where for example level 8 is the same as level 4 but different events. You also always backtrack through the current level to get back to the tram and move on. I've played for about 7 and a half hours, so the game should clock in at 9-11 hours for me on Easy. Upgrading everything will definitely take more than one playthrough, maybe even 2 or 2 and a half. Hard to tell.

I'm also going through the game with the Plasma Cutter only, for the achievement. It's such a unique weapon and limb dismemberment is incredibly useful, so decimating the game with a single weapon is good stuff."
    Plasma Cutter can be done on Easy or Medium pretty easily, to be honest.  I've been doing my second playthrough on Medium with my fully upgraded Plasma Cutter, fully upgraded Rig, and fully upgraded Stasis module, and the PC just two and three shots a lot of the early shit.  Even the later durable slicers and shit, they aren't more than 4 or 5 shots.  Plus, a little trick for you:  if you dump all your other weapons into the safe and have ONLY the PC on you, then pretty much all ammo that drops will be energy for your PC.  Therefore, it makes running out of ammo almost impossible.

Personally, I think the PC is the best weapon in the game, which is kind of a shame, given that it's the FIRST weapon in the game and discourages you from playing with most of the others for anything other than vanity purpose and playing around with them.

As for 5/5...I can't give it that, as it's not perfect.  There are some things that drive me insane...but it's definitely a hell of a high-rating game to me.  =  /  I'll have my review up sometime this weekend, hopefully...depending how work goes.
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vinchenzo
    jakob187 said:
     Plasma Cutter can be done on Easy or Medium pretty easily, to be honest.  I've been doing my second playthrough on Medium with my fully upgraded Plasma Cutter, fully upgraded Rig, and fully upgraded Stasis module, and the PC just two and three shots a lot of the early shit.  Even the later durable slicers and shit, they aren't more than 4 or 5 shots.  Plus, a little trick for you:  if you dump all your other weapons into the safe and have ONLY the PC on you, then pretty much all ammo that drops will be energy for your PC.  Therefore, it makes running out of ammo almost impossible.

Personally, I think the PC is the best weapon in the game, which is kind of a shame, given that it's the FIRST weapon in the game and discourages you from playing with most of the others for anything other than vanity purpose and playing around with them.

As for 5/5...I can't give it that, as it's not perfect.  There are some things that drive me insane...but it's definitely a hell of a high-rating game to me.  =  /  I'll have my review up sometime this weekend, hopefully...depending how work goes."
    I think it deserves 5 stars. It's a well-made game that is extremely polished. If I gave it a score, I'd say a 8.75 -- it deserves recognition for being a unique game that is just a shitload of fun while it lasts. Hey if Halo can get a 9.5, then a better game can get an appropriate score. The only achievement I'm missing now is beating on Impossible, and it is quite Impossible. Finally finished my achievement guide as well, which is getting a decent amount of hits. A lot from Google surprisingly.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187

Well, nvm any comments I've made on other threads about secret achievements.  Vinchenzo apparently is a God of achievements, LOL.

To each their own opinion for ratings, as always.  I just can't give it anything perfect.  lol  Hell, only time I ever reviewed anything with a perfect score was Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube (couldn't even give the PS2 one a perfect score, lol).
    Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Vinchenzo
    jakob187 said:
    "Well, nvm any comments I've made on other threads about secret achievements.  Vinchenzo apparently is a God of achievements, LOL.
    To each their own opinion for ratings, as always.  I just can't give it anything perfect.  lol  Hell, only time I ever reviewed anything with a perfect score was Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube (couldn't even give the PS2 one a perfect score, lol).
    "
    If you'll remember, 5 stars does not mean it's perfect. It is the general range of "awesome" games. I usually give games a 2 or 3 stars, though.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187

My review is up.  Hope it helps everyone.

And Vinchenzo, great review, sir.
    Bkorns4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Bkorns4

I only finished through chapter 3, and overall i freakin LOVE this game. This game is what survivor horror is meant to be (I'm sorry, but RE:4 felt more like an action game than a true survival horror). This game does so many things right. The interface in this game is so clean, it really keeps you in the game rather than be distracted by a clunky interface.

This game seems to me like a mix between Metroid and Bioshock. This seems like a great game for any Metroid fan who has grown up, and is into more mature/dark games.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By clubsandwich

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I can't wait to get Dead Space, from what I've heard is one of the greatest survival-horror games in the last years, so that got me even more pumped for this game.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187
    clubsandwich said:
    "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I can't wait to get Dead Space, from what I've heard is one of the greatest survival-horror games in the last years, so that got me even more pumped for this game."
    One of the greatest survival-horror games in the last years?  No.  Try one of the greatest to ever come into existance.  This game is a very strong debut of an original IP.  People not going out and buying this game is a goddamn shame.
    So I'm on my second playthrough of the game still (didn't play much last night), but in the short time I've been playing my second playthrough, I've only clocked about 3 hours onto the time meter and I'm in Chapter 9.  It could easily take another hour or two to beat it a second time, and this is on medium.  Needless to say, that's still a fair amount of replay.

I want to go to Hard, but I don't want to miss out on all my upgrades.  =  (  Vinchenzo, you got any new info on the New Game+ stuff?  
    PenguinNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PenguinNerd
    jakob187 said:
    "clubsandwich said:
    "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, I can't wait to get Dead Space, from what I've heard is one of the greatest survival-horror games in the last years, so that got me even more pumped for this game."
    One of the greatest survival-horror games in the last years?  No.  Try one of the greatest to ever come into existance.  This game is a very strong debut of an original IP.  People not going out and buying this game is a goddamn shame.
    So I'm on my second playthrough of the game still (didn't play much last night), but in the short time I've been playing my second playthrough, I've only clocked about 3 hours onto the time meter and I'm in Chapter 9.  It could easily take another hour or two to beat it a second time, and this is on medium.  Needless to say, that's still a fair amount of replay.

I want to go to Hard, but I don't want to miss out on all my upgrades.  =  (  Vinchenzo, you got any new info on the New Game+ stuff?  
    "
    Exactly.  I was just going to rent this but decided to go ahead and buy it when Blockbuster didn't have it.  Now I can't believe I ever considered NOT buying this.  Easily one of the best games I've played this year :D
    DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By DukeTogo

In regards to comparisons to Bioshock, the game has much more in common to that games predecessor - System Shock 2.

The storyline is almost a direct ripoff (not meant in a bad way) of SS2 from how the creatures came to be, how they look (generally) and what their motivations are.  Even the betrayal is there (albeit in human form) and the way you organize inventory and power up.  Even the set pieces like the ships, hanging bodies, gore and corpses, scrawled-in-blood messages on walls.  There are points  where it diverges, but it's very clear where the inspiration came from, one of the producers or designers admitted it in a Game Informer article last year.  This is as close to a remake of SS2 you're going to get.  EA owns the SS brand, which is probably why that fan-made SS2 project got squashed by them a year or so ago, because this was already in production.

Bear in mind I love the game and it's about as good as I'd expect in a modern SS game with toned-down complexity.  Just like Bioshock reduced the complexity, it had to evolve or then it's just the same game but prettier.  I do hope a sequel or similarly-themed game is planned.  A few allusions were made in the game that other Markers existed.

I will advise you to play the game first, then check out the comic and DVD after.  The game's story is much more suspenseful when you don't know what happened before you got there.  I'm glad I practiced my usual routine of going into a subject, be it game/movie/book cold, so I'm experiencing the story the way the author intended.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187
    DukeTogo said:
    "In regards to comparisons to Bioshock, the game has much more in common to that games predecessor - System Shock 2.

The storyline is almost a direct ripoff (not meant in a bad way) of SS2 from how the creatures came to be, how they look (generally) and what their motivations are.  Even the betrayal is there (albeit in human form) and the way you organize inventory and power up.  Even the set pieces like the ships, hanging bodies, gore and corpses, scrawled-in-blood messages on walls.  There are points  where it diverges, but it's very clear where the inspiration came from, one of the producers or designers admitted it in a Game Informer article last year.  This is as close to a remake of SS2 you're going to get.  EA owns the SS brand, which is probably why that fan-made SS2 project got squashed by them a year or so ago, because this was already in production.

Bear in mind I love the game and it's about as good as I'd expect in a modern SS game with toned-down complexity.  Just like Bioshock reduced the complexity, it had to evolve or then it's just the same game but prettier.  I do hope a sequel or similarly-themed game is planned.  A few allusions were made in the game that other Markers existed.

I will advise you to play the game first, then check out the comic and DVD after.  The game's story is much more suspenseful when you don't know what happened before you got there.  I'm glad I practiced my usual routine of going into a subject, be it game/movie/book cold, so I'm experiencing the story the way the author intended.
    "
    Seriously, was your whole purpose of joining the forums just to constantly say "Dead Space is SS2 redux"?  People get the point the FIRST time you post it...so you don't have to go to EVERY damn thread and state it.
    I'm glad that you love SS2...and I'm glad that you like Dead Space...but posting the same stuff five times is a bit overkill.
    Wolswor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Wolswor
    DukeTogo said:
    "In regards to comparisons to Bioshock, the game has much more in common to that games predecessor - System Shock 2.

"
    Wow, really?  I could friggen link any game using your mentality.  In almost every post you make here you have to mention "OGM DIS IS LIKE SS2!1!!"  By the way, those horror elements are always in horror games because well....there's not really a lot else to do now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.