Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dead Space

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Oct 14, 2008

Engineer Isaac Clarke battles a polymorphic virus-like alien infestation that turns human corpses into grotesque undead alien monsters called "Necromorphs" while trying to survive on board an infested interstellar mining ship named the USG Ishimura.

SPOILER! So, who pushed the button?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

SPOILER!

Okay, so Nicole was never actually there. But at one point in the game, Isaac has to defend her from monsters and she opens a door for him. How did the door really open? Who or what actually pushed the button?  I never got that. The vision of Nicole physically interacted with the environment. What's the deal with that sequence? Does the marker create solid visions?

Satune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Satune

Maby the door was open the whole time and Isaac was just hallucinating that the door was closed.
    And remember, isnt it Nicole who jumps him at the very end when he's escaping the planet?

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Seedofpower
    @Satune said:
    "Maby the door was open the whole time and Isaac was just hallucinating that the door was closed. And remember, isnt it Nicole who jumps him at the very end when he's escaping the planet? "

Yes. 

It could have been some other person who was able to stay live and he was just hallucinating that it was her.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@Satune said:

" Maby the door was open the whole time and Isaac was just hallucinating that the door was closed. And remember, isnt it Nicole who jumps him at the very end when he's escaping the planet? "

I see. Yes, I suppose it could have been that evil Nicole all along. That theory could work. However, I see that second ending more as as a tacked on scare to give the player a proper sendoff, somewhat outside of the main narrative.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain

Wow, this same discussion was had a little while ago. 

Basicly, a bunch of people came to a bunch of ridiculous conclusions, but Achems razor dictates the simplest is the most likely, and imo the simplest solution (and the most likely in my own opinion as well) was that he simply halucinated before shooting the junction box where she was supposedly stood. Or he stood there halucinating until the door malfunctioned on its own. Or as has been suggested, it was already open. 

Basicly, the simplest answer is it was a simple halucination. Given the ending, and EA's confirmation that Isaac is still alive, i'd say that further backs up the idea it was a halucination. 

As for your theory on the ending, no, it's a simple plot device designed to simultaneously set the game up for a sequel, and wrap it up incase it doesn't get one. With that one ending, you can make a sequel and say it was a halucination and Isaac is still alive (or it wasn't, and he miraculously fought her off), whereas if the suits don't sign you for a sequel, you say he died and it was real. Simple. It's not 'outside the main narrative' you just aren't told which of the two possibilities is true. Although given they confirmed he's still alive for the sequel, i'm guessing it was option A, halucination.

ZAPBoston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By ZAPBoston

The_A-Drain makes sense with his explanation of the second ending.

I think I heard a sequel had been approved. That's awesome. 

At first, I thought Nicole was real and there was a chance for Isaac to rescue her but by mid-game I had a strong feeling she was gone. Very sad.

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Damien

I just finished this game and man, I did not see this coming at all.  I believe that the door was open or malfunctioning at the time, and Isaac hallucinated Nicole there until the door opened.  

And I agree with A Drain, the last scene's purpose was to either wrap-up the storyline or bridge to the sequel.  With Dead Space 2 basically a sure thing, I believe "Necrole" won't be a hallucination, but Isaac will finish her off.  He still had his suit on and he had just fought many things tougher than her walking down a hallway.  Also, his tools couldn't be that far away.  It would be a shame for him to die after all that and kinda like a bitch, relatively speaking.

Vitefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Vitefish
    Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By CaptainTightPants
    @Strongba1: You know a bunny wabbit dies every time you use the spoiler buttons with no spoilers :P
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Damien
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By breadfan
    @Damien said:
    " @Strongba1 said:
    "
    "
    How do you use these? "
    Write something, highlight it, and then pick the new red button on the toolbar.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By jakob187
    @The_A_Drain: Wait wait wait...EA confirmed that Isaac is still alive?!  WHEN?!
    Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.