Who is getting the Deadliest Warrior?

• 51 results
Posted by Jeust (10815 posts) -

Speaking truthfully I never really followed the show, despite liking the few episodes i saw, 

But i'm thinking of getting the game...  

The game seems bare, with only height fighters and five stages. But it will take a "realistic" (as much as video games come) to fighting, with one-hit kills, close and long distance fights, bleeding to "death", realistic weaponry, fighting styles, mini-games and fighter customization. Also online play, For just 800 points. It looks good for me. 

A sneak-pick: 

And a preview from Kotaku that turned into a review.

Is anyone else thinking of getting it in June 14th?
#1 Edited by Jeust (10815 posts) -

Speaking truthfully I never really followed the show, despite liking the few episodes i saw, 

But i'm thinking of getting the game...  

The game seems bare, with only height fighters and five stages. But it will take a "realistic" (as much as video games come) to fighting, with one-hit kills, close and long distance fights, bleeding to "death", realistic weaponry, fighting styles, mini-games and fighter customization. Also online play, For just 800 points. It looks good for me. 

A sneak-pick: 

And a preview from Kotaku that turned into a review.

Is anyone else thinking of getting it in June 14th?
#2 Posted by Bones8677 (3271 posts) -

Don't waste your hard earned money.

#3 Posted by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@Bones8677 said:
" Don't waste your hard earned money. "
True, but it seems a good deal. 
#4 Posted by SuicidalSnowman (396 posts) -

See, it is the 'realism' on that show that kills me.  They never take into account the reasons so many of the weapons and techniques were developed, such as on the CIA v. KGB episode.  They figured the CIA had a better SMG than the KGB, and disposed of it that way, but in reality, neither of those two forces stood face to face and unloaded. 

Same with Samurai v. Viking.  The Samurai box and arrow was vastly superior to the Viking thrown spear.  So anytime the two are more than 20 yards apart, the Samurai should be all set.  But is that even how these two would fight? 

Having said that, I wouldn't mind a game that is very physics based that simulates real fighters from different eras.  Something like the new UFC striking model, or that one medieval quick look they did where guys wore shields on their backs, because it would deflect arrows fired from that direction.

#5 Edited by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@SuicidalSnowman said:

" See, it is the 'realism' on that show that kills me.  They never take into account the reasons so many of the weapons and techniques were developed, such as on the CIA v. KGB episode.  They figured the CIA had a better SMG than the KGB, and disposed of it that way, but in reality, neither of those two forces stood face to face and unloaded.  Same with Samurai v. Viking.  The Samurai box and arrow was vastly superior to the Viking thrown spear.  So anytime the two are more than 20 yards apart, the Samurai should be all set.  But is that even how these two would fight?  Having said that, I wouldn't mind a game that is very physics based that simulates real fighters from different eras.  Something like the new UFC striking model, or that one medieval quick look they did where guys wore shields on their backs, because it would deflect arrows fired from that direction. "

hum hum i agree, but i think that is the motto of the show: "How would different fighters with different styles and weaponry fight each other for the very first time?". From what i've seen in the final fights, it makes it look like they are facing each other for the first time, so there aren't any strategies of how to overcome the adversary, they resort their usual moves.  
#6 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11435 posts) -

Schmeh. 

#7 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -

My 10 bucks will be spent elsewhere.  Like on Summer of Arcade and Deathspank.

#8 Posted by DarkShaper (1346 posts) -
#9 Posted by armaan8014 (5435 posts) -
@Jeust: 
I was waiting pretty bad for this game. I've seen every episode of the show and was excited for it. I even created the Giantbomb page for the game!
But it isn't for PC, so no, can't get it. Also, the pics that have come out look a little disappointing :(
#10 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

Previews thus far have been pretty much entirely negative and the gameplay footage certainly seems to support this.
Get the trial to check it out, but I think the best bet would be to save your money for the Summer of Arcade, or Deathspank.

#11 Posted by pwnasaurus (1286 posts) -
@SuicidalSnowman said:
" See, it is the 'realism' on that show that kills me.  They never take into account the reasons so many of the weapons and techniques were developed, such as on the CIA v. KGB episode.  They figured the CIA had a better SMG than the KGB, and disposed of it that way, but in reality, neither of those two forces stood face to face and unloaded.  Same with Samurai v. Viking.  The Samurai box and arrow was vastly superior to the Viking thrown spear.  So anytime the two are more than 20 yards apart, the Samurai should be all set.  But is that even how these two would fight?  Having said that, I wouldn't mind a game that is very physics based that simulates real fighters from different eras.  Something like the new UFC striking model, or that one medieval quick look they did where guys wore shields on their backs, because it would deflect arrows fired from that direction. "
buy mount and blade war band you wont be disappointed. 
#12 Posted by schizogony (975 posts) -

I am very intrigued buy Deadliest Warrior and will play the demo and give serious consideration to buying. 

Unless it's total butt, of course.

#13 Edited by Brodehouse (10106 posts) -

That looks like Bushido Blade with modern graphics.

Which is to say, that looks as janky as a polygonal fighter from 1995.

And don't get me wrong, I love Bushido Blade.  But it was 1995.

edit: At the same time, good on them making it a 10 dollar thing.  At 60, this was going to be destined for failure.  They'll sell more than six times the amount of copies at 10 dollars than 60.  The hit detection looks a little jacked up and weird, but 10 dollars is an acceptable price for something different.  I've made worse use of 10 dollars.

#14 Posted by memo (421 posts) -

I will most likely play the demo (if available) and then go from there.

#15 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I doubt it will be any good but I plan on trying the demo.

#16 Posted by Druxk (38 posts) -

Please don't buy this.

#17 Posted by mazik765 (2316 posts) -
@SuicidalSnowman said:
Couldn't agree more. But the fake competition and crappy reenactment during the last 5 minutes are not why I even occasionally watch that show. I just enjoy watching them beat the crap out of dummies with oldschool weapons :)
#18 Posted by Metric_Outlaw (1172 posts) -

It looked kind of cool until I saw the pirate.

#19 Edited by DanielJW (4915 posts) -

I'm actually quite interested. If the demo is good I'll buy it. Though it does reek of something that will be broken two days after launch. Someone will find some lame exploit on the Ninja, and nobody will play anything but the Ninja online, sucking all the fun out of it. 

Wonder if I can use my fight stick...

#20 Posted by Landon (4164 posts) -

It looks like an interesting fighting game, but I doubt it will be any good.

#21 Posted by fugie7 (1109 posts) -

the game looks alright, but i rather spend my points on something else.

#22 Posted by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@armaan8014 said:
" @Jeust:  I was waiting pretty bad for this game. I've seen every episode of the show and was excited for it. I even created the Giantbomb page for the game! But it isn't for PC, so no, can't get it. Also, the pics that have come out look a little disappointing :( "
Yeah! From the article of Kotaku it seems pretty good still. But there will probably never going to be a port for the pc. :(
#23 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I could think of better things to buy.

#24 Posted by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" I could think of better things to buy. "
Like what?
#25 Posted by Liono88 (368 posts) -

Yeah the game looks decent for 10 bucks. Multiple people have already said it but the god awful "Re-enactments" on the show are total bs, Aztec dude would have rocked the African Warrior and his penis blade. Best part of the show is the testing of the weapons, that's where the value is.

#26 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
#27 Posted by tranquilchaos (575 posts) -

Hell no.

#28 Edited by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@Axxol said:

" @Jeust said:

" @Axxol said:

Like what? "
Oh no!!! This is a difficult question. Not really: 

Limbo 
A cheesburger 
Deathspank 
Castlevania: Harmony of Despair 
Monkey Island Burritos  Should I keep going? "
  • Limbo is a platformer, for which stands one question: How long will the feeling of novelty last? 
  • Can't argue with that. 
  • Deathspank might be good, but i already have Torchlight, and Monkey Island didn't quite grab me.
  • Castlevania: Harmony of Despair, doesn't seem like a full fledge game, but a collection of levels and characters to celebrate past entries, with a focus on multiplayer.
  • Monkey Island, it didn't grab my attention, when i played it before. Point and click games are too boring for me.
#29 Posted by Vendetta (434 posts) -

I'll actually be making an active effort to see and hear as little about this game as possible.

#30 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" @Jeust said:
" @Axxol said:
Like what? "

Limbo 
A cheesburger 
Deathspank 
Should everybody else have the same opinion as you? You don't have to be such an ass about it.
#31 Edited by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@CL60 said:

" @Axxol said:

" @Jeust said:
" @Axxol said:
Like what? "

Limbo 
A cheesburger 
Deathspank 
Should everybody else have the same opinion as you? You don't have to be such an ass about it. "
It seem that people actively dislike the game. what is kind of curious. 
#32 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @CL60 said:

" @Axxol said:

" @Jeust said:
" @Axxol said:
Like what? "

Limbo 
A cheesburger 
Deathspank 
Should everybody else have the same opinion as you? You don't have to be such an ass about it. "
It seem that people actively dislike the game. what is kind of curious.  "
I was talking to Axxol.
#33 Edited by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -
#34 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -
@CL60 said:
" @Axxol said:
" @Jeust said:
" @Axxol said:
Like what? "

Limbo 
A cheesburger 
Deathspank 
I didn't say that everyone should have the same opinion as me; it doesn't say that anywhere in my post. I'm simply stating my opinion, you may take my statement as me being an ass but I was joking. 
#35 Posted by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@mordecaix7 said:
" @Jeust said:

" @Axxol said:

Like what? "
Just a few, like:  DeathSpank, Castle Crashers, Magic The Gathering, Tales of Monkey Island, Castlevania Symphony of The Night, Braid, Castlevania Harmony of Despair, Limbo, Hydro Thunder Hurricane, Trials HD, Toy Soldiers, Worms, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, Puzzle Quest 2, Perfect Dark, Shadow Complex, Splosion Man, Banjo and Kazooie, Space Invaders Extreme, Uno, Geometry Wars 2, Doom 2, Bomberman Live, N+, The Maw, Ikaruga, Zeno Clash, just to name a few.  At least play the demo for Deadliest Warrior before you drop your hard earned cash on it. "
Of course i will. But according to Kotaku the game is actually pretty cool. 
#36 Posted by TheGreatGuero (9130 posts) -

I have a feeling it will be a really bad game. I do enjoy the show, however.

#37 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -

Is this the game by Crytek, I remember them showing something looking like this at E3.

#38 Posted by mordecaix7 (657 posts) -
@Jeust said:
"Of course i will. But according to Kotaku the game is actually pretty cool.  "
Check more than Kotaku.  I don't know who else has reviewed it yet but I frequently disagree with Kotaku's reviews.  Especially their Darksiders review.
#39 Posted by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@mordecaix7 said:
" @Jeust said:
"Of course i will. But according to Kotaku the game is actually pretty cool.  "
Check more than Kotaku.  I don't know who else has reviewed it yet but I frequently disagree with Kotaku's reviews.  Especially their Darksiders review. "
Yeah, i will try the demo, still it looks pretty good for what it aims for. 
#40 Posted by jkz (4049 posts) -
@ErrorOperator said:
" Is this the game by Crytek, I remember them showing something looking like this at E3. "
No, this is a game based on a based on the show Deadliest Warrior; it's developed by Pipeworks software. 

The new game by Crytek is "Codename: Kingdoms". They haven't announced anything outside the name and the reveal trailer.
#41 Posted by Jimbo (9931 posts) -

Sure, this looks bad, but not as bad as the Bear Gryll's Man vs. Wild game.

#42 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
@schizogony said:
"Unless it's total butt, of course. "
Definitely my favourite of the Empire spin offs.
#43 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6789 posts) -

Before I saw the trailer, I was not interested at all, but that actually looks like it could be sort of fun.

#44 Posted by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@xobballox said:
" Before I saw the trailer, I was not interested at all, but that actually looks like it could be sort of fun. "
It does! That's why i'm tempted to get it. :)
#45 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Apparently, it's not that bad.

#46 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

Pirates vs. Ninjas? =0  SOLD! 

In all seriousness, I'm not making any predictions as to the games quality, but it should make for a fun Quick Look.

#47 Posted by Ferginator4k (737 posts) -

I really like the show, and for the price id definitely check it out. Were there a PC version on steam.

#48 Edited by Jeust (10815 posts) -
@Ferginator4k said:

" I really like the show, and for the price id definitely check it out. Were there a PC version on steam. "

No there isn't. I think that version, and PSN version too, are pending and depend the success of the Xbox Live version. 
#49 Posted by YoThatLimp (1931 posts) -

Anyone wanna play on the 360? GT: Jeffticles906

#50 Posted by ISuperGamerI (1880 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" Don't waste your hard earned money. "
True, but it seems a good deal.  "
It's a good thing GB has a quick look on this game cause it looks like a waste of time.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.