IGN reviews Deadly Creatures

#1 Edited by Meowayne (6084 posts) -

The IGN review for THQs "Deadly Creatures" is up, continuing the Wii's great 2009 after HotD: Overkill and Tenchu.
Matt gave the game a 8/10, criticising only the lack of polish and the relatively limited content.

I'll bet you've unloaded millions of bullets, shot down thousands of nondescript terrorists and blown up countless facilities. So why not take a break from the cliche videogame action experience just this once -- it'll still be there when you get back -- and try on something refreshingly different?

my hat is off to Rainbow Studios not only for taking the care to create an original, altogether interesting property, but also for treating the Wii console with respect and really attempting to maximize its potential. I'm not just referring to making use of the Wii remote in intuitive manners, which Deadly Creatures does, but also milking the admittedly less powerful hardware from a technical level in order surround the experience in great presentation, be it an intriguing storyline, beautiful graphics or amazing audio.

some of the best visuals on Nintendo's system.

The pointer-based controls feel very good. And I also love the scorpion's cinematic finishers. When you've depleted a foe's health, you'll be able to tap the C button to trigger a quicktime sequence in which you must complete two or three gestures for a gruesome animation -- for instance, the creature will stab its stinger into a rat's head in a bloody execution. Scenes like these reinforce the fact that Deadly Creatures is not for youngsters.

This is a game for Wii owners who want something refreshingly different. It's powered by a dark, intelligent storyline, boasts great production values through and through, and features smart, fun controls (that use the Wii remote well), not to mention some unexpectedly engrossing exploration elements. The game's got a few polish issues -- camera and framerate hiccups and some frustrating bugs of the technical nature -- but it's still engrossing from beginning to end. THQ's creepy Wii exclusive action-adventure is not just a console showpiece, overflowing with cutting-edge graphic design and ultra-ambient audio, but one of the few titles for the system available whose main characters will give you goose bumps, let alone the supporting cast.

If you complain that Wii never gets high-quality third-party games and you don't buy Deadly Creatures, you've only yourself to blame.
http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/950/950897p1.html
#2 Posted by BlackWaterCO (1574 posts) -

Seems very different

edit: I don't even remember editing this page....huh

#3 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -

Something about that game just doesn't seem right. Oh well, I'll buy to support quality titles on the Wii.

#4 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
BoG said:
"Something about that game just doesn't seem right. "
Its weird that neither in the text, nor in the video review you get to know what you're actually doing in Deadly Creatures. Is there platforming? Is there anything to the combat other than pressing A? It seems like all you do is run around and kill bugs while Thornton and Hopper are seen in the background telling a story. If that is so, what is it that makes Deadly Creatures "special" or different from other games? I always want to play games that try something new, and while Matt says that Deadly Creatures is one of these game, it isn't really clear in what way it is.

#5 Posted by BoG (5192 posts) -
Meowayne said:
"BoG said:
"Something about that game just doesn't seem right. "
Its weird that neither in the text, nor in the video review you get to know what you're actually doing in Deadly Creatures. Is there platforming? Is there anything to the combat other than pressing A? It seems like all you do is run around and kill bugs while Thornton and Hopper are seen in the background telling a story. If that is so, what is it that makes Deadly Creatures "special" or different from other games? I always want to play games that try something new, and while Matt says that Deadly Creatures is one of these game, it isn't really clear in what way it is.

"
Exactly. I can't seem to figure out how it is new, how the story and gameplay connect at all, and why these bugs are following around these dudes.
#6 Posted by bartholomew999 (171 posts) -

Wasn't Cassamina the same dude who was guaranteeing a Kid Icarus announcement at E3 last year?

Anyhoo, the game looks okay, I don't see dusting off my Wii (lulz I love saying that) unless a Zelda drops.

#7 Posted by Dark_Link142 (377 posts) -

Looks good! Hopefully it sells well.

#8 Posted by TEAMHOLT (438 posts) -

I had been given the impression that Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thornton voiced the arachnids, and it was the arachnids that were on a search for gold. I don't know if I'm disappointed or not about that not being the case.

#9 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

Looks cool. Dennis Hopper = buy.

#10 Posted by Snipzor (3317 posts) -

I really want to play this, I really do, but I have arachnophobia and have similar issues with scorpions. But damn, Dennis Hopper and Billy Bob Thornton, I might give it an attempt. Afterall, I did get through the  Resident Evil remake with only a few issues with those damn giant spiders.

#11 Posted by Dalai (7074 posts) -

I'm not sure what to make of Deadly Creatures and I'm waiting for more reviews, but it looks like it's not really a long single player game so I might wait until the price drops.

#12 Edited by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

Another solid THQ Wii game, hurray. Also, what do you mean you don't get what you do in the game? The gameplay videos are pretty clear to me. You go from A to B while dismembering other insects and rodents and reptiles on the way.

In simple words, It's an action (or beat 'em up?)  title where instead of controlling a god of war with giant divine bosses you're controlling a scorpion or tarantula with snakes and other such bosses.

What did you all think it was going to be?

#13 Posted by Meowayne (6084 posts) -
Al3xand3r said:
"What did you all think it was going to be?"
I didn't think anything of the game, but Matt says it's something special, something I have not done before. Running from A to B killing stuff is the exact opposite of that.
#14 Posted by Al3xand3r (7574 posts) -

All he says hasn't been done is that here you kill insects instead of the usual terrorists or aliens or whatever, and have a surprisingly good storyline to follow, I don't see him calling this the second coming of gaming. Obviously using your insect skills (the fact you can crawl around anywhere alone is pretty cool) is different to controlling a humanoid with its own other set of skills. My A to B thing is exagerating a little, but hey, that's what most action games boil down to if you think about it, even if it's actually A to C with a detour for B before going to C or whatever. You just move around killing stuff. Open world sandbox elements aside (like say, No More Heroes' city), which I don't think anyone thought this game has, all action games have that type of formula.

#15 Posted by strangeling (1260 posts) -

I'm thinking the gameplay isn't going to be much different from other games.  It's special in the same way Madworld is special.  It's how they're presented, not how they're played.

I'm not sure what the "story" is with the creatures, but they're doing their thing while intersecting with the background human story.  For the most part, your actions as the spider & scorpion don't effect the background story.  You just happen to be in the vicinity of the humans.  Though I'm thinking this game may not end well for the humans, with us playing as "deadly creatures."
#16 Posted by clarke0 (1077 posts) -

Looks interesting but I have a lot of other games to play. It's cool that someone actually put a little effort into a Wii game.

#17 Posted by Marzy (675 posts) -

I got my copy yesterday.

I've played through a good seven chapters of the game and I'm really enjoying it.

The visuals look fantastic. There are many different creatures throughout the game that you have to fight. All of them have lots of detail put into them, not only how they look, but also how they move and fight. The huge environments look incredible too, especially when you see the huge humans towering above you.

The gameplay works really well a lot of the time, but there are a few bugs which I noticed. Sometimes it can suffer from a bit slowdown, but it's not too bad. The camera also can be a problem in places and sometimes swings into strange positions, but it doesn't affect gameplay too much. I also found the Wii-mote controls to be a bit unresponsive and sometimes the game would lose connection to my Wii-mote, which has resulted in me having to reconnect it two times so far. Overall though, I find the controls to be quite good and I found it to be like a blend of No More Heroes wrestling moves, but with creatures.

The soundtrack and voice work are very fitting. Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Hooper provide the voice work for the two story driven characters and they fit perfectly into their roles. The soundtrack has a scary overtone to it and it fits well with the game and its environments.

You can pick the game up for £24.99 at most online shops and I would definitely recommend this if you're looking for something fresh and most importantly, another good game on the Wii.

#18 Posted by Linkyshinks (9880 posts) -

I am getting this..

strangeling
said:

"I'm thinking the gameplay isn't going to be much different from other games.  It's special in the same way Madworld is special.  It's how they're presented, not how they're played.
I'm not sure what the "story" is with the creatures, but they're doing their thing while intersecting with the background human story.  For the most part, your actions as the spider & scorpion don't effect the background story.  You just happen to be in the vicinity of the humans.  Though I'm thinking this game may not end well for the humans, with us playing as "deadly creatures."
"

MadWorld plays nothing like any other game of it's type according to those that played it at Comic Con NY.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.