Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

A $20 Game Beats Out Blockbuster Titles

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

Edited By ttocs

No Caption Provided

Ever since I spent the $20 necessary to own the delightfully bad yet ultimately satisfying Deadly Premonition, I can't put it down.  Hell, I can't even stop thinking about it.  I sit at work right now thinking about whats going to happen next to Agent York and his town full of crazy last gen people.  I'm not sure why I like it so much, but I have put everything else on hold while I continue to play the game.  I have God of War, Final Fantasy 13, Splinter Cell Conviction...all of these games are secondary to Deadly Premonition.  A $20 game that has the most God awful controls and driving sequences is my favorite game of 2009 (behind ME2 of course).  I'm not exactly sure why, but I think I may have an inkling why this game is doing so well, not only with me, but with a lot of you out there.

For starters, the game doesn't take itself serious.  Every chance it gets it almost reminds us that it's a B Game.  By B Game, I referring to the B Movies of the 70's and 80's that were s
    No Caption Provided
    o bad they were good.   A lot of zombie flicks were like this.  Along with the constant reminders, it seems that everything in the game is so bad it's good.  How is that possible?  Well, it almost seems intentional.  We have moved on as a video game culture from the clunky design of PS1 era games, but Deadly Premonition almost mockingly throws it back at us like a s tubborn toddler flinging mashed potatoes at his mothers grandfather clock - at first infuriating, but later hysterical.  The bad parts all come together to form one cohesive unit and in the end, it ultimately works.  That is the best way I can describe it without going long winded and verbose about the game.

I'll continue playing it because I'm dying to see how the story ends.  The shallow characters I met in the beginning of the game are now becoming fully fleshed out about 3/4 of the way through and it's surprising to see how in depth their stories are - especially York's.  His sad tale is told in a cut scene about halfway through the game which I watched not too long ago. 

So, if you haven't picked up the game, be sure to do so.  For $20, this is the best game money can buy.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ttocs

No Caption Provided

Ever since I spent the $20 necessary to own the delightfully bad yet ultimately satisfying Deadly Premonition, I can't put it down.  Hell, I can't even stop thinking about it.  I sit at work right now thinking about whats going to happen next to Agent York and his town full of crazy last gen people.  I'm not sure why I like it so much, but I have put everything else on hold while I continue to play the game.  I have God of War, Final Fantasy 13, Splinter Cell Conviction...all of these games are secondary to Deadly Premonition.  A $20 game that has the most God awful controls and driving sequences is my favorite game of 2009 (behind ME2 of course).  I'm not exactly sure why, but I think I may have an inkling why this game is doing so well, not only with me, but with a lot of you out there.

For starters, the game doesn't take itself serious.  Every chance it gets it almost reminds us that it's a B Game.  By B Game, I referring to the B Movies of the 70's and 80's that were s
    No Caption Provided
    o bad they were good.   A lot of zombie flicks were like this.  Along with the constant reminders, it seems that everything in the game is so bad it's good.  How is that possible?  Well, it almost seems intentional.  We have moved on as a video game culture from the clunky design of PS1 era games, but Deadly Premonition almost mockingly throws it back at us like a s tubborn toddler flinging mashed potatoes at his mothers grandfather clock - at first infuriating, but later hysterical.  The bad parts all come together to form one cohesive unit and in the end, it ultimately works.  That is the best way I can describe it without going long winded and verbose about the game.

I'll continue playing it because I'm dying to see how the story ends.  The shallow characters I met in the beginning of the game are now becoming fully fleshed out about 3/4 of the way through and it's surprising to see how in depth their stories are - especially York's.  His sad tale is told in a cut scene about halfway through the game which I watched not too long ago. 

So, if you haven't picked up the game, be sure to do so.  For $20, this is the best game money can buy.
    lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By lead_farmer

I have been wanting to pick this up.  Might just do that this week.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#3  Edited By armaan8014

I LOVE YOU

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jeffsekai

nO

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CL60

I still don't see why everybody is praising it. 

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By sixghost
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " nO "

fuck off back to the street fighter forum.

I'm finding it kind of hard to play for extended periods in the down periods of the game. The end of CH2 and beginning of CH3 was pretty awesome because the pace just took off like crazy. But after playing that section for like 5-6 hours straight I haven't been able to play for more than 45-60 mins at a time because it's slowed down a ton. Although I guess that's pretty consistent with the whole TV show pacing it seems like their going for.

I really hope the story stays strong to the end unlike 99% of games out there.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Symphony

It's awesome that so many people are enjoying it, but the notion that it's the best game $20 can buy is just silly especially considering it's major selling point is "it's so bad it's good". 

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ttocs
    @Symphony said:
    " It's awesome that so many people are enjoying it, but the notion that it's the best game $20 can buy is just silly especially considering it's major selling point is "it's so bad it's good".  "
    I understand why you would say that, but to me this is the best game for 20 bucks.  The game is long, clocking in well over 30 hours.  You'll be hard pressed to find longevity like that.  Plus, when I say it's so bad it's good, I'm not referring to it's entire package.  It's bad parts kind of come together to make a single cohesive good unit.  It's really hard to explain unless you have played it. I bought it looking to make fun of it mostly and sell it on ebay.  I was shocked to actually find myself loving every minute of it.   My fiance and I joke about it and whistle the theme song when we are out to get a good laugh.  She was in the room when the "F.K. in the coffee" line was ready and she almost lost it.  

I highly recommend you try it out, if you hate it, oh well...it's only 20 bucks.  I'd pick this game over anything on the XBLA/PSN priced at 20 bucks.  More games should come out like this at this price point.
    emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By emkeighcameron

Nice read. The value proposition for DP is amazing, $20 for hours upon hours of "entertainment" is pretty good, in my eyes. Me and a couple of my friends have been doing our own endurance run of the game and we're all pretty captivated by it. Both by how shitty it is, and how amazingly weird it is at the same time.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#10  Edited By Symphony
    @ttocs said:
    " @Symphony said:
    " It's awesome that so many people are enjoying it, but the notion that it's the best game $20 can buy is just silly especially considering it's major selling point is "it's so bad it's good".  "
      I highly recommend you try it out, if you hate it, oh well...it's only 20 bucks. "
    Or I could buy $20 worth of sushi with that money and not have any chance of regret whatsoever. Mmm sushi.  

Seriously though, I understand where you're coming from and I'm sure it's well worth it for many people (though, personally, I think there are games such as Portal that deserve a purchase before DP if one hasn't played them yet). Having followed the ERs I can say without a doubt I would absolutely hate playing it. Heck, I find myself not actually watching the ERs most of the time now, instead just listening to their commentary as watching the game holds little enjoyment for me, but listening to their commentary is great.  But that's just me, and I certainly can't speak for others.
    Avatar image for princess_isabela
    Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Princess_Isabela

It's funny, because I have gow3, ffxiii and they are waiting in the corner because of deadly preomonition. 
    Game is super gripping.
    Some people are logging in nearly 50+ hours(with side quests and all). 
    Reviews in Japan are also very positive (even though game costs $60+ there customer reviews are high on the praise).

DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By DavidSnakes

Definitely a case of less is more in so many ways.  God of War 3 pulls out pretty much every stop to try and wow me, and I find myself more captivated by George's awkward gesturing or York discussing the Prom Queen.  Couldn't care less about ripping Kronos apart or whatever, I'd rather drive around Greenvale fishing for bullets.

RonnyLee19881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By RonnyLee19881

You and me think a lot alike!

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By George_Hukas

This game actually achieves what a game like Matt Hazard only could dream of doing. 

Deadly Premonition is one of the funniest experiences I've had in a while.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RsistncE

I can't fathom the sheer stupidity driving people to like this game. It's pretty damn horrible and it seems that the only logic (if you can even call it logic) which people are utilizing to defend their love for this game is that, it's so bad it's good.

Jesus! I've been missing out on so many awesome games then! Better go grab a Superman 64 cart off of EBay!

/rant

Seriously though, I just don't get it.

RonnyLee19881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RonnyLee19881

It is not so bad it is good... it is great to begin with. I guess it helps to be a fan of X-files, Twin Peaks and mystery Novels. People love this game for its characters, story and mid 90's vibe it gives off.  It brings back memories of the good old days when games weren't interactive movies and were genuinely fun for just being a game... not some innovative monstrosity that seems to be the goal of every developer this generation. I guess the new kids in gaming have started with games like Modern Warfare, Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect  expecting games to have production values that would could run a small country and pass off the quirky budget titles as shovel ware. I swear i just hate smug gamers. I find the Wii the best console ever and some people just can't understand why because they think just because it isn't HD it doesn't stand a chance or doesn't deserve a chance at be the best...

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
    deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@RsistncE said:
    " I can't fathom the sheer stupidity driving people to like this game. It's pretty damn horrible and it seems that the only logic (if you can even call it logic) which people are utilizing to defend their love for this game is that, it's so bad it's good.  Jesus! I've been missing out on so many awesome games then! Better go grab a Superman 64 cart off of EBay!  /rant  Seriously though, I just don't get it. "

Two things I want to say: 
    1) A game doesn't have to be well made to be a lot of fun.

2) Horses for courses
    rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#18  Edited By rjayb89

I bought this game, but I ain't gonna play it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By JJOR64
    @sixghost said:
    " @Jeffsekai said:
    " nO "

fuck off back to the street fighter forum.

No Caption Provided
    MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#20  Edited By MormonWarrior

I don't like bad games. I really don't get "So bad it's good." That makes no sense.

RonnyLee19881

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RonnyLee19881
    @MormonWarrior said:
    " I don't like bad games. I really don't get "So bad it's good." That makes no sense. "

Ill do it again:

It is not so bad it is good... it is great to begin with. I guess it helps to be a fan of X-files, Twin Peaks and mystery Novels. People love this game for its characters, story and mid 90's vibe it gives off. It brings back memories of the good old days when games weren't interactive movies and were genuinely fun for just being a game... not some innovative monstrosity that seems to be the goal of every developer this generation. I guess the new kids in gaming have started with games like Modern Warfare, Uncharted 2 and Mass Effect expecting games to have production values that would could run a small country and pass off the quirky budget titles as shovel ware. I swear i just hate smug gamers. I find the Wii the best console ever and some people just can't understand why because they think just because it isn't HD it doesn't stand a chance or doesn't deserve a chance at be the best...

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By ashogo

people keep saying "It's so bad it's good". But from what I've seen and heard, there are actually a lot of reasons to like this game because it's actually...good, good.

fishmicmuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By fishmicmuffin
    @ashogo said:
    " people keep saying "It's so bad it's good". But from what I've seen and heard, there are actually a lot of reasons to like this game because it's actually...good, good. "
    I think what people mean is that the production values are terrible. My understanding is that the story is awesome and the gameplay is serviceable. I plan on watching the endurance run, not sure about actually buying the game though.
    ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ttocs
    @MormonWarrior said:
    " I don't like bad games. I really don't get "So bad it's good." That makes no sense. "
    Please, go rent it.  You can't understand it until you play it.  It's not a bad game by any means.  There are parts of the game that are intentionally bad for effect.  

Put it this way.  Did you ever watch an old horror movie with fake blood that is so easily discernible as fake it's funny...but in some god awful way the movie is hilariously good?  That's sort of how Deadly Premonition is.  It's a long game with good characters and a decent story, but some of the parts of the game, like the cheesy conversations, funny music playing during serious situations, stuff like that just makes it great.   Try it out and you'll see it too.  I was just like you were and didn't understand, so I bought it on a whim and I love it!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.