A record of what the Director's Cut has changed

• 118 results
#51 Edited by MetalGearSunny (7003 posts) -

Wow. Who okayed this? Who said, "Yup, this is ready for release!" That frame frame is god awful...

#52 Posted by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

Wow. Who okayed this? Who said, "Yup, this is ready for release!" That frame frame is god awful...

I have to imagine that they probably put in little effort because they assume the fans wouldn't care, considering how archaic the original version was anyway. Though there is also an awful lot of brands attached to this thing, so it's possible that they found development on the PS3 tricky... or this game was put through the grinder for the sake of laziness. What with the high price point, and even preorder bonuses of all things, I'd find it easy to believe that the publishers were dragging this along to see how much money they could wrangle out of people while keeping to a minimal effort.

#53 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@yummylee said:

Oh man, that's really disappointing to hear about the framerate. Though I'm sure it wasn't the smoothest, I recall that its original 360 version was certainly manageable. Enough that I can't remember much in the way of any framerate issues. That and the crappier lip syncing and weird save game hitches, despite the bonus content, is definitely portraying this to be the inferior version after all...

No, it was pretty shitty.

#54 Edited by Yummylee (22539 posts) -

@mordeaniischaos: The framerate was good enough that it was certainly playable on the 360, and on the PS3 I feel like the game is about to devolve into a slideshow it's that bad. I mean I completed Deadly Premonition while also finishing a great deal of the sidequests along the way as well, whereas after only an hour spent playing the PS3 version, I want nothing more to do with it.

It's a complete bastardisation of a game that was of course already kinda fucked to begin with.

#55 Edited by MetalGearSunny (7003 posts) -

@yummylee said:
@metalgearsunny said:

I have to imagine that they probably put in little effort because they assume the fans wouldn't care, considering how archaic the original version was anyway. Though there is also an awful lot of brands attached to this thing, so it's possible that they found development on the PS3 tricky... or this game was put through the grinder for the sake of laziness. What with the high price point, and even preorder bonuses of all things, I'd find it easy to believe that the publishers were dragging this along to see how much money they could wrangle out of people while keeping to a minimal effort.

I guess so. I just think it's crazy that, if the fact is that they found the development on PS3 difficult get someone in there to help or something. They put money into a product that's worse than the original product.

#56 Posted by OmegaPirate (5522 posts) -

wasnt it already released on ps3 at the same time as 360? called red seeds profile - but only in japan or something?

Wonder how that version stacks up against this rerelease?

#57 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@yummylee: I would disagree on that, it got really, really bad. Maybe it's worse, but driving was always a slideshow. A lot of things were.

#58 Posted by Bocam (3822 posts) -

I'm still pushing through it as I'm interested in the sequel hook that was added at the end of the game. It seems the longer I play it, the less fucked it becomes.

#59 Posted by MEATBALL (3475 posts) -

I'm most disappointed that you can hear York talking to someone else when he's talking about Tom & Jerry.

#60 Posted by benpicko (2005 posts) -

Should release it on the PC, then you'd get all the FPS.

All of it.

B-but I don't want all of the FPS. That's too much

#61 Posted by Kazona (3096 posts) -

Why anyone would want to buy this is beyond me. In my eyes it's telling the developer that it's okay to deliver a bad product.

#62 Edited by MEATBALL (3475 posts) -
@kazona said:

Why anyone would want to buy this is beyond me. In my eyes it's telling the developer that it's okay to deliver a bad product.

That's just part and parcel of the process of buying Deadly Premonition.

#63 Posted by coakroach (2492 posts) -

If any game deserved a re-release that made it actually worse, it was Deadly Premonition.

#64 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

Wow that framerate is terrible. I'm curious as to whether the original PS3 version was the same, or whether it's a new issue with the director's cut.

Also, Thomas' voice is way different. Why change that? It was a part of the weirdness of his character. Now he's pretty dull sounding.

#65 Edited by dekkadekkadekka (742 posts) -

@xyzygy:@omegapirate:

As someone who owns and has played through the original release on PS3, I'd say it was comparable to the Xbox 360 version. I could only play through the main story stuff since all that was in English so MAYBE some side stuff was busted, but I wouldn't have thought so.

#66 Edited by xyzygy (10078 posts) -

As someone who owns and has played through the original release on PS3, I'd say it was comparable to the Xbox 360 version. I could only play through the main story stuff since all that was in English so MAYBE some side stuff was busted, but I wouldn't have thought so.

This baffles me. How could this version have gone so wrong? I don't understand...

#67 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (742 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@dekkadekkadekka said:

This baffles me. How could this version have gone so wrong? I don't understand...

It's entirely possible that they just bumped the renderer up to 720p from whatever it was before and didn't bother to optimise it. The framerate in the DC is unstable and you can see the framerate increase in smaller areas which would go some way to proving my theory.

#68 Posted by Bocam (3822 posts) -

They changed Kaysen's voice actor as well

#69 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@bocam: he was one fo the only VA I thought was really good, jeez.

#70 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

@bocam said:

They changed Kaysen's voice actor as well

WHAT?!

That's it. I can't play this now.

#71 Edited by Bocam (3822 posts) -
#72 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

@bocam said:

@animasta: @mooseymcman: It seems some scenes have his new VA while others have his old one.

Okay, that seems funny. Now I'm back on board.

And by back on board, I mean I might play it at some point after it goes down in price. Or, I guess theoretically they could patch it to fix the frame rate, but that won't happen.

#73 Posted by weegieanawrench (1943 posts) -

Why Swery, why? This sucks, I was all on board to buy this day one, but with all these issues, I really don't know. The frame rate is head ache inducing and the change in voice actors is disappointing. Until a drop in price, I'll just play the 360 version again.

I am a sad panda.

#74 Posted by PillClinton (3295 posts) -

@milkman said:

The fact that this version is actually worse than the original just seems like the best way this could have possibly gone.

Indeed. It just makes the whole legacy of DP all the more absurd and hilarious, and that's something I can get behind and... uh... DP?

And hey, at least the map's better. That seems like the only thing that was actually unusable before. Sucks about the framerate though.

I'll bet Swery's just having a big ol' laugh right now. He seems like that kind of dude.

#75 Posted by Bocam (3822 posts) -

@pillclinton: The map's not actually any better. The only change is the ability to access a bigger one while driving.

#76 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

I was actually gonna get this, but I probably won't after hearing about how bad the framerate is, hopefully they fix it.

#77 Edited by Rafaelfc (1458 posts) -

Guess i'll go track down the original 360 version of this game.

#78 Posted by Commander_Crichton (157 posts) -

I was really looking forward to this but I just can't get over how choppy that framerate is. I'll get it if they manage to patch both the framerate and the audio issues, which is probably not gonna happen.

#79 Posted by FoxMulder (1711 posts) -

Ah well...I forsee this not selling well and being $20 by the end of the year. I dont havea 360 so I want to atleast play a little bit of it. And who knows, maybe patches will be forthcoming...though I'd guess probably not!

#80 Posted by CornBREDX (5990 posts) -

Somehow, in the back of my mind, I suspected it might be worse.

That's a shame.

#81 Posted by jimmy_p (278 posts) -

On EU PSN preorder download date has been moved back to 4th of May, could this mean theyre working on a patch?

#82 Posted by Wolfgame (878 posts) -

To put it in perspective and a reminder Deadly Premonition was released on the ps3 where it performed just fine on the platform in Japan, atleast I never heard anyone talking about that version having frame rate or save issues. It would be interesting to know more detail now with these prevalent problems taking place, maybe someone can shed some light. I really hope that a patch lands shortly, this could be the breaking point and deciding factor on a real sequel to Deadly Premonition. I feel obligated to support it with a retail purchase(I don't even own a PS3) but I want it to be financially successful, having said that I want people new to the franchise to be able to enjoy their purchase. Every gamer deserves that right regardless of platform.

#83 Edited by Bocam (3822 posts) -

Anyone have the US version of the game? Is it just as bad?

#84 Posted by Wolfgame (878 posts) -

anyone know what happened to the page entry for the directors cut, I can't locate it.

#85 Posted by Dolphin_Butter (1917 posts) -

@bocam said:

Unfortunately, I can confirm that the performance issues are applicable to the US version as well (the PSN download, at least). I put a quick snippet below, and it's pretty much like-for-like with what you've uploaded.

Still, I think it's playable and the frame rate is only spotty in certain sections. I haven't gotten to the meat of the game, so I'll see what the driving looks like and maybe update this post with another clip.

#86 Posted by Wolfgame (878 posts) -

@bocam said:

Unfortunately, I can confirm that the performance issues are applicable to the US version as well (the PSN download, at least). I put a quick snippet below, and it's pretty much like-for-like with what you've uploaded.

Still, I think it's playable and the frame rate is only spotty in certain sections. I haven't gotten to the meat of the game, so I'll see what the driving looks like and maybe update this post with another clip.

Thanks for the clip, I suppose now the big question is gonna be when can PS3 owners expect a patch. This release is gonna be dead on arrival if these issues are not corrected.

#87 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

I take it the bad framerate is PS3 exclusive.

#88 Posted by ryvythed (27 posts) -

What's up with the Move controls?

#89 Edited by thelsdj (44 posts) -

@wolfgame said:

@dolphin_butter said:

@bocam said:

Thanks for the clip, I suppose now the big question is gonna be when can PS3 owners expect a patch. This release is gonna be dead on arrival if these issues are not corrected.

I'll bet you 0.05 Bitcoins that there is never a patch.

#90 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11393 posts) -

@thelsdj said:

@wolfgame said:

@dolphin_butter said:

@bocam said:

I'll bet you 0.05 Bitcoins that there is never a patch.

Well I bet 20 Brad Bucks that there is a patch, but it doesn't fix it as well as it should.

#91 Posted by Wolfgame (878 posts) -

I'm not wanting to start speculating in here. but I think GB is kinda running a bit of cover for the new deadly premonition. By that I mean the game was listed as a individual title with a wiki page providing it front page status on giantbomb.com as a new release , once negative circulation of these performance issues was discovered the title was placed under the original game. I think GB is trying to downplay it's initial release in favor of helping out swery while they consider better ways to implement a patch. Which would also explain why a quick look for the director's cut has not yet occurred.

#92 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

So, it apparently got delayed on the EU PSN Store again and will now be available on the 8th of May...
I have a feeling they're just gonna delay it again, for no apparent reason...

#93 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1270 posts) -

@wolfgame said:

I'm not wanting to start speculating in here. but I think GB is kinda running a bit of cover for the new deadly premonition. By that I mean the game was listed as a individual title with a wiki page providing it front page status on giantbomb.com as a new release , once negative circulation of these performance issues was discovered the title was placed under the original game. I think GB is trying to downplay it's initial release in favor of helping out swery while they consider better ways to implement a patch. Which would also explain why a quick look for the director's cut has not yet occurred.

That's really quick to have a conspiracy theory. That sort of idea is against the very idea of journalistic integrity that Giantbomb was founded upon. Anyway, here's the thread that shows why the page was deleted and combined into the regular page.

#94 Posted by Bane122 (811 posts) -

@wolfgame: What use would a quick look really be? The new content is spaced out through the whole game, the graphics aren't that different, and the most they could do with the controls is explain how they're different. What are you really going to learn about this version that you don't already know?

#95 Edited by laserbolts (5365 posts) -

@jeanluc said:

@yummylee said:

Oh man, that's really disappointing to hear about the framerate. Though I'm sure it wasn't the smoothest, I recall that its original 360 version was certainly manageable. Enough that I can't remember much in the way of any framerate issues. That and the crappier lip syncing and weird save game hitches, despite the bonus content, is definitely portraying this to be the inferior version after all...

Call me a weirdo, but the idea of this version being somehow worse sounds almost better in a weird way.

Doesn't sound weird at all. People are fans of this game because of how shitty it is.

#96 Edited by jimmy_p (278 posts) -
@mafolu said:

So, it apparently got delayed on the EU PSN Store again and will now be available on the 8th of May...

I have a feeling they're just gonna delay it again, for no apparent reason...

I feel like someone needs to release a formal statement for the numerous delays, more so because we've already been charged for the game.

#97 Edited by cloudymusic (1230 posts) -

@wolfgame said:

Oh yes, you're on to their clever plan! I think the Bilderberg Group might be in on it, too.

More likely, someone decided that a slightly-touched up port should be listed as a sub-release under the main game wiki page (as it is now), and not a separate page.

#98 Posted by Wolfgame (878 posts) -

I realize what I said carried negative indications of GB staff, what I mean to say is I think they are waiting to cover the game when the product better represents the long term presentation of the product and not what are just currently temporary errors to be patched. The way in which I said it made it appear as though shady practices had taken place when they haven't.

#99 Edited by DeeGee (2139 posts) -

@wolfgame: Jeff has said that they don't have a copy of the game yet and that they will try and pick one up and do something with it soon. There's no grand conspiracy here.

#100 Edited by Superkenon (1506 posts) -

@wolfgame: Either way, the wiki stuff is because the users and mods decided it wasn't enough of an enhancement to warrant a new page (staying consistent with most other re-releases like this). I'd say the only reason it doesn't have a QL is because it's just not exactly a priority. Frankly I'm surprised to hear they intend to do anything with it at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.