A record of what the Director's Cut has changed

• 118 results
#101 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

@jimmy_p said:
@mafolu said:

So, it apparently got delayed on the EU PSN Store again and will now be available on the 8th of May...

I have a feeling they're just gonna delay it again, for no apparent reason...

I feel like someone needs to release a formal statement for the numerous delays, more so because we've already been charged for the game.

Yeah, it's kinda frustrating not being able to access a game you've paid for, especially when it's already available at retail, however busted it might be.

#102 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

great! an even more busted version of DP was exactly what I was hoping for! The legacy remains intact.

Anyway, I pre-ordered. It came today and it's sitting on the table until Sunday when I actually have time to play.

#103 Posted by kerse (2118 posts) -

Have they said anything about the framerate? Like at least the generic "we are aware and looking into it" response? I'm curious if its something that will get fixed, or if they''ll just ignore it, would love to play this version.

#104 Posted by Renachan (137 posts) -

I guess as long as it's not TOO painful with the frame rate I'll enjoy having an easier option for enjoying the side quests, but either way I'm sorry to hear this. I have the original Japanese release at least for as I get better with the language...

#105 Posted by shivermetimbers (785 posts) -

Wow, I hate to be egotistic, but I completed the first level and.....the framerate was pretty damn smooth. I'd say even smoother than the Xbox version.

Keep in mind, I'm playing on an old school 80 gig PS3 and I haven't begun driving yet, will report on that later.

#106 Posted by cloudymusic (1230 posts) -

Yeah, watching these videos, in some spots, it seems much smoother than the Xbox version, almost jarringly so. But then, in other spots...it seems way worse. Sort of weird.

#107 Edited by Szlifier (512 posts) -

Wow, I hate to be egotistic, but I completed the first level and.....the framerate was pretty damn smooth. I'd say even smoother than the Xbox version.

Keep in mind, I'm playing on an old school 80 gig PS3 and I haven't begun driving yet, will report on that later.

I don't know, dude. I have Red Seeds Profile too and it works much better. Unfortunately I don't have any capture kit around.

#108 Edited by Rolyatkcinmai (2699 posts) -

The frame rate is horrible, but I can't tell if it's any worse than it was before.

The gameplay is still not great, but it's infinitely better than it was the first time. This is a playable game now. The original was not quite that. Some of the other changes you mention or "bugs" aren't actually there. The saving thing is not a weird hitch, it's just how saving works. The two bars install is common on PS3. The twins don't sound different (which isn't to say they aren't). The lip syncing is unchanged. The enemies are weaker, but that's intentional (up to you if you think that's better or worse).

What we have is essentially a re-release with some minor content changes and a bunch of control changes. It makes the game playable by a much wider audience. Whether or not that's worth $40 to you will vary from person to person. Even if I wasn't planning on playing this I'd still buy it just to give them $40. It's far from perfect, but why would anyone have expected anything with Deadly Premonition on the cover to be highly polished?

#109 Posted by tourgen (4542 posts) -

I finally got a chance to play tonight.

The framerate seems alright to me. It's about the same as the xbox version except a little smoother in some parts of the cut scenes. the driving framerate isn't great on the xbox version either. I didn't notice a difference.

Some texture are MUCH better. Posters and notes on walls and such. Others look the same. Still something up with the texture filtering or mipmaps tho because distant textures still sparkle like a motherfucker when the camera moves.

The added scenes seem alright. I like the new paper texture :) Twins sound exactly the same to me. Audio is mixed better in a few of the cutscenes. I didn't see a place to change the difficulty, and the base difficulty seems really easy.

I'm going to check out the move controls tomorrow.

#110 Posted by Demoskinos (15133 posts) -

So is there ANY possible reason to get this if you've got access to a 360? I can see PS3 only folk not having much say in the matter but the original is cheaper and by all accounts seems to run better for what seemingly amounts to scraps of new content.

#111 Edited by tourgen (4542 posts) -

Tried the motion controls. They are alright except for melee weapons. I was having trouble getting it to register a swing. It was bad enough I wasn't able to use melee weapons for much more than breaking boxes.

Overall a great version of the game. I wish they would have improved the framerate over the 360 version and maybe tweaked the driving controls a bit but not a big deal.

#112 Edited by thelsdj (44 posts) -

I played for a few hours last week. The game is totally playable. I don't normally play console games so I didn't notice any issues with framerate or anything else. I'll be playing some more tonight.

#113 Posted by thelsdj (44 posts) -

#114 Edited by probablytuna (3822 posts) -
@thelsdj said:

Haha I saw that as well as I was driving past Quint. Also when I was trying to track down the twins for a side quest, one of them was stuck inside the geometry. It was in a bush though, so he may be playing hide and seek...

#115 Posted by thelsdj (44 posts) -

@thelsdj said:

Haha I saw that as well as I was driving past Quint. Also when I was trying to track down the twins for a side quest, one of them was stuck inside the geometry. It was in a bush though, so he may be playing hide and seek...

If Lilly is at the bank, stand in front of the ATM and rotate the camera. If you do it just right you can clip through the bank and see her standing, facing the door, in a small black room.

#116 Edited by probablytuna (3822 posts) -
@thelsdj said:
@probablytuna said:
@thelsdj said:

If Lilly is at the bank, stand in front of the ATM and rotate the camera. If you do it just right you can clip through the bank and see her standing, facing the door, in a small black room.

I've been trying to find a way to get into the bank to see just what the heck Lilly is doing there since it is marked in red just like other places that can be visited. Thanks for providing an answer haha.

#117 Posted by thelsdj (44 posts) -

Just finished playing the Director's Cut tonight. As you all know, great game. I never played the original, and I don't normally play console games, but besides design issues, I never had any issues with bugs or framerate.

I played through the whole game after dinners with my wife, sister, cousin and her boyfriend. Everyone had a good time, and I will be starting Persona 4 this Friday after dinner of Pulled Pork and Thomas' Biscuits ( http://imgur.com/a/xR06i )

#118 Posted by audioBusting (1672 posts) -

A bit late to the party, but here's a cutscene comparison video for posterity's sake. Here's another one (dream sequence), and another (Sheriff's department). The visual differences between the versions are pretty clear when compared directly like that. (I didn't make these, by the way. I just saw them on Youtube.)

I kinda prefer the old version's weird coloring in the outdoors, but the new version does look easier to the eyes. The textures look so much better. The colors in the interiors look super washed out on the new version, though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.