Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

am i insane??

D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By D34dM4n

so, with the endurance run we've been getting a fantastic look at shittacular Deadly Premonition. but for some reason, after having watched both teams VJ and BR play it, i have the strange urge to play this game for myself. have i lost wat little sanity i have left?

cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By cap123

you are not alone

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By Claude

Yeah, I've become afraid to watch because I want to play it myself. At first, I thought the game was a joke when everyone was talking about it, but I've been swayed. I'm torn. Do I watch or play? Maybe one more dual episode, yeah, that's the ticket.

jtmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By jtmosh

Maybe because *gasp* it's not a bad game?!

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By veektarius

The vibe I'm getting from the ER is that Deadly Premonition has a good story and develops it in a good way and has a pretty good sense of humor but none of the "game" part is actually any good. 

havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By havelava

Not at all, a lot of people like this game.

YellowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By YellowKing
    @D34dM4n: You're no crazier than anyone who likes the Rocky Horror Picture Show or the occasional bad anime.

I'm watching, but this is all stuff I've played before given that I'm about 15 hours in.  If you get a copy now, you can get ahead of the ER within a few dedicated hours of play and easily stay ahead thereafter if you still want to play it yourself.

@Veektarius: I've argued this point before but it bears repeating.  The controls for the game are clunky, but manageable.  You can't fix York, but you can buy new and better cars to compensate for the crappy police vehicles.
    The structure is pretty brilliant in terms of stringing you along and encouraging side missions.
    So the gameplay itself is somewhere in between given that both the controls and structure factor in.  And that's to say nothing of the writing.

Deadly Premonition's weird in that its controls are its biggest stumbling point.  Usually, a good game trips over story or structure but still controls well.   That's not to say that the weapons don't work and aren't designed appropriately, they're just finicky.  If I recall correctly, Bioshock had some of the same problems, good pacing and story, but iffy controls.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really enjoying my playthrough of this game. I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm sane however. But I wouldn't say that you're entirely crazy either.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#9  Edited By Yummylee

I'd be playing it now if I could. Not because of the ER mind you though, had my fascination attached to this game for a while now.
    veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By veektarius
    @YellowKing:
    Well, the driving might be manageable, but it's certainly not going to be fun, and lacks all sorts of things like, visible damage, anything destructable in the environment, rear view mirrors..  The weapons and combat system might be good enough that you can get through those sections without getting frustrated, but the effects are gratifying and the controls are weird.  You're right to put Bioshock in the same category, but Bioshock is a much milder example, because for all its flaws, there are a lot of *good* things about that game's combat (plasmids, the weapon sounds, hacking turrets and cameras to turn a room to your advantage...).  I think you'd be hard-pressed to come up with a list of any length for Deadly Premonition.  It's a game that might have worked better as an anime (if anime weren't so damned entrenched in its art style and ridiculous humor) from what I can tell.
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Jost1
    @JTMosh said:
    " Maybe because *gasp* it's not a bad game?! "
    The part where you PLAY THE GAME seems pretty bad.
    The rest is awesome though.
    s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By s-a-n-JR

I have no desire whatsoever to to play this crapola. I do enjoy VJ+BR commentary on it though.

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KimParnage

To me, this game is fun to watch, but only to watch... i would hate to play through it myself... the store seems interresting but the controls and gameplay overall seems terrible..

YellowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By YellowKing
    @Veektarius:  Some things are destructible when driving, just not to the extent of GTA4.  There are a lot of invisible walls, but you can crash through wooden fences blocking off trails or knock down the occasional streetlight.  I didn't pick Bioshock as an example because it was just like Deadly Premonition, but it's the closest thing I can compare it to, except maybe Metal Gear Solid.  That might actually be closer given that it's a story-heavy game with clunky Japanese controls.
    Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#15  Edited By Jazz
    @D34dM4n said:
    " so, with the endurance run we've been getting a fantastic look at shittacular Deadly Premonition. but for some reason, after having watched both teams VJ and BR play it, i have the strange urge to play this game for myself. have i lost wat little sanity i have left? "
    If you have to ask..you'll never know. 
    and sometimes my arms bend backwards.....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.