Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Anyone Else Thinking of Indigo Prophecy? (SPOILERS)

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Undeadpool

So having watched today's Endurance Run part (VJ-137), I have to say there are some weirdly similar aspects to these two games. Consider this: 
    -Both were developed by fairly small companies. 
    -Both had unconventional/not very good controls. 
    -Both were about a very mysterious murder that was actually told very effectively in the context of the story.
    -Both murders involved a cult. 
    -Both go OFF THE FUCKING RAILS IN THE FINAL ACT. 
    I was actually finally starting to dig on the plot of Deadly Premonition, when...George turned into Akuma Mishima...and Kaysen turned into a giant...version of Kaysen. It can't just be a murder mystery, can it? I was even ready to accept the zombies were a result of the gas seeping into the ground and bringing back the dead, sure, why not? But then...George and the whole thing with Kaysen were just SO ridiculous! Anyone else get deja vu from this?

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By ashogo

Dude, don't talk to me about that disappointing train wreck of a game. 
    @Undeadpool said:

"Both go OFF THE FUCKING RAILS IN THE FINAL ACT."
    In Indigo Prophecy's case: In a very, very bad way. Generic ass sci-fi matrix ripoff is not entertaining. 
    At least DP's off the rails was entertaining, and even surprising. Everything that happens in the back-half of IP is just bland, predictable, or very poorly-written.
    It's kind of interesting to compare the two though, as a lot of people would say DP has terrible writing as well. Yet I enjoyed DP infinitely more.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Undeadpool
    @ashogo:  
    I agree that IP became horrendous, generic-assed Matrix rip-off, but I would also say that Deadly Premonition's was "generic ass Japanese boilerplate." Even the monsters looked ripped straight out of a Japanese storybook and they look like so many other villains from so many other games. (George LITERALLY looked like what would happen if you smashed Akuma together with Jinpachi Mishima). I'll definitely agree that DP was more interesting and fun to watch go off the rails, but it still took a RADICAL shift to both tone and subject at the very end of it.
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By I_smell

I've not played Indigo Prophecy, but the ending did remind me of Bioshock. All the mysteries get tied up at the end, and that's really what you're there for, but then they feel obligated to add in a big muscley boss fight that just barely makes sense story-wise. It's like an abrupt shift from telling a story to playing a game and those two things really rub against each other.

Kaysen's first beast form did two things: 1) Made Kaysen look like a fat useless idiot because he kept fallin over n yelling, and 2) Completely undermined the emotional scene of finding Emily as a quivering pile of post-rape trauma.

Actually a lot of games do that. FF7 killed off Aeris followed directly by a snowboarding minigame, GTA IV killed off Roman followed by a mission where you have to kill about 500 more people, Gears 2 had Dom get all weepy over his wife followed by *active reload* "Sweet!!"
    I read a thing about this a while ago, it's called "ludo-narrative dissonance" where the game and story bump into each other.

LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By LackingSaint

The final act of IP was insane, but I dug it. I don't get why everyone acts like it nullified what was great about it.

Khantael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Khantael

I think the big difference between Indigo Prophecy and Deadly Premonition, for me, is that Deadly Premonition is unapologetically nuts from the beginning. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and it doesn't mind showing that. Some events are foreshadowed a bit, but when it starts introducing new plot elements, the game just takes it in its stride and so does the player -because- the game does.

Indigo Prophecy does start off seriously, and so later plot elements come out of absolutely nowhere. They're not even really foreshadowed. It's like somebody wrote a scipt, then ripped out a mid-late portion, as there is no build up or reason for the insanity. If they'd built it up, it could have worked, but ultimately to me it falls flat as it just seems to decide to go in a totally inexplicable direction. And, given that you play as three characters, you miss important plotpoints (like that one with Lucas) as you aren't with them at the time, which makes it even more "wtf?" but not in a good way. For a game that seemed to take itself seriously, its ending seriously discredited it. 

Just a personal opinion, though.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By sixghost

I don't really factor what the actual bosses looked like into the overall story of DP. It's a japanese-ass game and there's certain stuff that you just expect. I loved the ending.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By gosukiller

What is this.. Indignant Prophanely? Don't you mean Fahrenheit?

In all seriousness, I liked both games, but the ending in Fahrenheit certainly didn't live up to the rest of the game.
    The DP ending certainly did.
    DP = Crazy japanese ending for a crazy japanese game
    Fahrenheit = Funky west game with a bad Matrix-style ending.

SonicBoyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By SonicBoyster

Deadly Premonition wins. 

In Farenheit the protagonist dies and gets resurrected, comes back with Dragonball Z superpowers, bangs the detective who has been looking for him, and has a super baby.  In Deadly Premonition the crazy guy sees really crazy things happen, and he stays crazy through the ending.  I like that better.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @gosukiller:   Fahrenheit wasn't American.

I don't see the comparison really, besides the fact that both games are crazy.
    ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By ashogo
    @Khantael said:

" I think the big difference between Indigo Prophecy and Deadly Premonition, for me, is that Deadly Premonition is unapologetically nuts from the beginning. It doesn't take itself too seriously, and it doesn't mind showing that. Some events are foreshadowed a bit, but when it starts introducing new plot elements, the game just takes it in its stride and so does the player -because- the game does.  Indigo Prophecy does start off seriously, and so later plot elements come out of absolutely nowhere. They're not even really foreshadowed. It's like somebody wrote a scipt, then ripped out a mid-late portion, as there is no build up or reason for the insanity. If they'd built it up, it could have worked, but ultimately to me it falls flat as it just seems to decide to go in a totally inexplicable direction. And, given that you play as three characters, you miss important plotpoints (like that one with Lucas) as you aren't with them at the time, which makes it even more "wtf?" but not in a good way. For a game that seemed to take itself seriously, its ending seriously discredited it.   Just a personal opinion, though. "

This is a definite part of it. DP, you already know going in that it's going to be something offbeat. The story is weirdly paced, and lots of things don't make sense. But even despite that, I feel like it has some real emotion somewhere. 
    Indigo Prophecy takes itself way too seriously for it's own good, without the story to back it up.
    Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Undeadpool

I'm not really trying to say one was better than the other (But Deadly Premonition was better than Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit), it just seems like both really abruptly went a little crazy. I get that DP was always a little bit crazy, but it was crazy in a very down to Earth Lynchian way, not so much "giant boss battles." I mean I can accept the fact that the seeds made Kaysen immortal and...then later a giant monster, or rather series of giant monsters, but seriously, where did the wall crawler ladies come from?

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

You forgot to add that both had ridiculously stupid long QTEs near the end of the game that had me cursing a bunch.
    DP: Running down(up?) the tower away from frog Kaysen
    IP: Fighting The Oracle on that rooftop, then running away from police helicopters.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lunar_Aura
    @Undeadpool said:

"where did the wall crawler ladies come from? "

The vents.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.