Deadly Premonition in Game Developer magazine (august)

#1 Posted by Spectreman (232 posts) -
#2 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

On the cover too. Damn.

#3 Posted by KarateLincoln (54 posts) -

Willie is an extremely important character with a huge backstory?

oh god, swery, never change

#4 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -

Amazing.  Must get a print copy, then fly to Japan, find SWERY and get him to sign it.  And then maybe kidnap him.  If he has coffee, alcohol and a stack of old movies to watch, he'll be fine, right?  Just like keeping a rabbit.

Just kidding, SWERY.  No rabbit could make a game like Deadly Premonition.

#5 Posted by jos4 (97 posts) -
#6 Posted by armaan8014 (5319 posts) -
@Animagess said:
" Amazing.  Must get a print copy, then fly to Japan, find SWERY and KISS HIM.  And then maybe kidnap him.  If he has coffee, alcohol and a stack of old movies to watch, he'll be fine, right?  Just like keeping a rabbit.  Just kidding, SWERY.  No rabbit could make a game like Deadly Premonition. "
That's what I'd like to do
#7 Posted by VisariLoyalist (2990 posts) -

it was a bad game, people just thought it was so hilarious they made it into a sort of meme.

#8 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -
@VisariLoyalist:  Nope, it's un-ironically an excellent game.  Are you that fat guy who who keeps stopping me at store counters when I'm trying to buy copies of it for my friends and tries to talk me out of it?  Because it's not working.
#9 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

This is great, isn't it Zach.

#10 Posted by Evilsbane (4519 posts) -

Fantastic the more that game is exposed the better because DP2 will be AMAZING!!!

#11 Posted by FalconCritical (224 posts) -

Chances are DP2 will be good, and therefore average and forgettable.

#12 Posted by KarateLincoln (54 posts) -

if DP2 is made, I will be incredibly surprised

#13 Posted by Dalai (6980 posts) -

Great! Amazing! Nice shot! 

Oh the times we had.

#14 Posted by Origina1Penguin (3500 posts) -
#15 Edited by Animagess (157 posts) -
@Origina1Penguin: Yeah, we know.  I think there's a thread for it.  The point is, I wouldn't complain if every magazine had something DP-related on the cover, even if there wasn't an article inside.  Like you could have one of the Shadows sticking its hand down someone's throat while bending over backwards on the cover of Cosmopolitan with the caption "77 Sex Positions to Drive Your Man Wild".  Hey, I'd subscribe.
#16 Edited by kevinski (456 posts) -
#17 Posted by RobotHamster (4170 posts) -

Amazing!

#18 Posted by sully (69 posts) -

Headshot! 

Well, it is a picture of his face.

#19 Posted by MadnessHero (2 posts) -

This is pretty sweet.  I was incredibly surprised with how much I enjoyed the game.  It's great to see more positive press about the game.

#20 Posted by Alphazero (1533 posts) -
@sully said:
" Headshot!  Well, it is a picture of his face. "
Headshots are ruining magazine covers. 

I bought the game (At $20, I think I'm losing money if I don't buy it) but haven't had the heart to put it in yet. Maybe I'll wait for a wall lady cheat code.
#21 Posted by I_smell (3925 posts) -

I love that the cover of the magazine looks completely awful. It suits the game.
@FalconCritical said:

" Chances are DP2 will be good, and therefore average and forgettable. "
That's probably sadly true.
#22 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -
@Alphazero said:
" @sully said:
" Headshot!  Well, it is a picture of his face. "
Headshots are ruining magazine covers.  I bought the game (At $20, I think I'm losing money if I don't buy it) but haven't had the heart to put it in yet. Maybe I'll wait for a wall lady cheat code. "
There's about a million ways to circumvent the problems that BR and VJ had playing the game, if that's what's turning you off.  Pretty much all the infinite weapons and upgrades you can get wayyy before the wall missus, and I think there's one strategy for killing them in one go (have to research that, forget where I heard it).  

Really, if you bother to do as many sidequests as possible in episode 2, I think you'll be fine- if the combat is what's worrying you.
#23 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

Why is this horrible game getting so much attention?

#24 Edited by RedEyesBlueBunny (1011 posts) -

i am so glad york isn't smiling there...or am i?

#25 Edited by Animagess (157 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:

" Why is this horrible game getting so much attention? "

1Up: "One of the best examples of game writing I've ever seen."
G4: "Strange and uncompromising.
X-Play: #9 on their Games of the Year So Far 2010 ilst
Metacritic: Majority of scores are safely above 60.

$20.  What have you got to lose?

EDIT: To more directly answer your question, the storytelling and characters it offers are excellent to a particular brand of taste, which applies to more people than you think.  Myself included.
#26 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -
@Animagess: Yes, but the gameplay itself is horrible.
#27 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
" @Animagess: Yes, but the gameplay itself is horrible. "

#28 Edited by Animagess (157 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny: 
Have you played it?  First of all, it's not at all terrible if you know what you're doing.  Second, the so-called flaws in the gameplay added a certain texture to the experience that you would never find in a more polished title, which I don't expect everyone to understand.  But clearly I'm not the only person who was able to deal with the quirky controls, so take that as you will.  I understand gameplay is the end all be all to some people, but not everyone plays games that way, and I maintain my position that the gameplay suits Deadly Premonition in ways no other game would have been able to overcome.

Also the story could never have worked as well as it did in a movie or novel, so it's not like it would have been better suited to a different medium, either.

EDIT: I'm curious to know how many people commenting on this board actually played the game, and how many are responding based on watching the Endurance Runs.  I loved the ERs, but I didn't find out about them until after I played the game, and I think there's a bit of a loss in doing it the other way around.
#29 Posted by Bistromath (583 posts) -

The atmosphere Deadly Premonition has is thick and full of crazy.  
If you really can't appreciate DP as a whole I just feel sorry for you.

#30 Edited by Ratfoot (199 posts) -

I had no idea about the amount of development hell that this game went through, Access Games really deserves more praise for breaking out of the DNF-style delay cycle.

#31 Posted by glitznglam_style (111 posts) -
@Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"@Animagess: Yes, but the gameplay itself is horrible. "

But it has a good story. Not like you'd be interested in a good story going by your avatar, right?
#32 Posted by ravuya (2 posts) -

I'm actually a little disappointed in myself that I haven't gotten through a certain near-end boss in Deadly Premonition yet. I need to know how it ends! 

I should've tried harder to get the infinite weapons. I mostly spent my side-quest time working on fetching car upgrades and going for jaunts in the convertible.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.