Director cut announced

#1 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -

LOS ANGELES - Oct 16, 2012 - Acclaimed publisher Rising Star Games Inc today announced that the cult phenomenon hit, Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut, will be released in the US and Europe Q1 2013 exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system. High-definition graphics, fresh content and updated controls provide a whole new, outrageous gameplay experience for diehard fans and newcomers alike.

Playing as special agent Francis York Morgan (just call him York -- everyone else does), players must investigate the brutal murder of a young local beauty. Amidst the backdrop of soaring mountains and a small American town, York must solve the mystery of the Red Seed Murders and stay alive in a place where supernatural creatures and a killer seek to end his investigation.

The award-winning suspense-horror, action-adventure game gives players an open-world experience featuring detailed interactions with Greenvale locals, as well as numerous side quests and mini games to help solve the murders and uncover hidden town secrets.

"Love it or hate it, Deadly Premonition has been a phenomenon; 'cult' does not begin to do its success justice," said Martin Defries, President of Rising Star Games. "With the enhancements Swery and his team are making to this new PS3™ version, I am delighted to confirm Rising Star Games' involvement with this fantastic game that should engage fans new and old alike."

"I'm very happy Rising Star Games gave me the chance to work on Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut," said Hidetaka 'Swery' Suehiro, Director of Deadly Premonition. "It's been a while since Deadly Premonition was released, but I'm still receiving so many messages of support from fans around the world. I'm writing some exciting new scenarios and adding some new features. All will be revealed over the coming months and I'm confident I can deliver an unforgettable experience for you all."

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut includes the following new features:

● New scenario from the game’s director, Hidetaka “Swery” Suehiro
● HD graphics
● Reworked control system allowing for an even better combat experience
● Downloadable content to expand the mystery beyond the original game

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2012/10/deadly-premonition-directors-cut-ps3.html

With "high-definition graphics". Whatever that means.  

My body is ready.
#2 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

omg YESSSS

I read everything about this game and became totally immersed in its fiction without having played it at all. It'll be so cool to actually experience it! My fangirl body is ready too :D

#3 Posted by Brodehouse (9521 posts) -

What do you do no nights you can't sleep, York?

#4 Posted by BlackLagoon (1375 posts) -

It's so great seeing Swery getting back into doing what he's best at - since DP shipped he's kinda been stuck doing low budget Monster Hunter clones for Square Enix.

#5 Posted by Animasta (14640 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

What do you do no nights you can't sleep, York?

it's not that I don't sleep

it's that I just don't want to

#6 Posted by iAmJohn (6107 posts) -

Clear as a crisp spring morning!

#7 Posted by AndrewB (7453 posts) -
...announced that the cult phenomenon hit, Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut, will be released in the US and Europe Q1 2013...

: ) !

... exclusively for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system.

: ( !

No Fk-ing in the coffee for me.

This comes at a time where I've been watching that ER again for the past few weeks for no reason at all.

#8 Posted by WMWA (1160 posts) -

YESSSSS

#9 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I wonder what the price will be.

No way it will be $20 again.

#10 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1724 posts) -

Finally! Thank you based SWERY!

#11 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4674 posts) -

I hope they don't change the graphics. The dreamcast visuals have a charm to them. As does the wonky control scheme. The game may suffer if those things are changed. Less likely for the controls but we shall see.

#12 Posted by Make_Me_Mad (3002 posts) -

This is the best news. The idea of more Deadly Premonition is great.

#13 Posted by The_Nubster (2037 posts) -

This is pretty great news. Hearing that the controls are going to be tweaked makes this a buy for me. Even though I've watched the ER, I've always been curious as to how it actually plays, so I'll pick this up when it comes out. And even if it isn't fun to play, I'd like to show Swery my support, because he tried to do something not a lot of developers do.

#15 Posted by JackSukeru (5898 posts) -

Well that's a shame that they cut the director, I thought he was the best part.

#16 Posted by BooDoug187 (339 posts) -

Well, I still havent beaten the import version I got awhile back, maybe I need to do that before this comes out.

#17 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

I've been holding out for a chance to watch the Endurance Run for Deadly Premonition because I really wanted to play it first. Importing Red Seeds Profile was my last hope until this announcement came. Just a little while longer...

#18 Posted by Undeadpool (4903 posts) -

@JackSukeru said:

Well that's a shame that they cut the director, I thought he was the best part.

Ba-dum-BUM! But seriously guys, York's the kind of man we need to elect President, I mean he found a way to create hundreds of jobs JUST FOR HIMSELF! York/Zack 2012!

#19 Posted by Ramone (2956 posts) -

The phrase "Get Hype" has never been more appropriate.

#20 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

this is probably a good time to finally play that copy i've had for like, two years now

#21 Posted by Oscar__Explosion (2181 posts) -

Wasn't this announced at the beginning of the year? I remember hearing something about this before.

#22 Posted by psylah (2161 posts) -

In this one you will be able to choose if Zach is male or female, and there will be new romance options.

#23 Posted by TheVideoHustler (406 posts) -

I need a new pair of pants after reading this.

#24 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@psylah said:

In this one you will be able to choose if Zach is male or female, and there will be new romance options.

There's a new alternate-reality story hook wherein you can romance yourself, as well.

#25 Posted by psylah (2161 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@psylah said:

There's a new alternate-reality story hook wherein you can romance yourself, as well.

Brought to you by Lubriderm™

#26 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

Here's hoping for a Vinny and Jeff Quick Look. The nostalgia overload would be amazing.

#27 Posted by Bocam (3669 posts) -

@McGhee said:

Here's hoping for a Vinny and Jeff Quick Look. The nostalgia overload would be amazing.

Don't you mean a BRVJ Quick Look?

#28 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@McGhee said:

No, because BR totally sucked.

#29 Posted by TurboMan (7344 posts) -

Finally, I have a chance to play this on my PS3 without importing it.

#30 Posted by Village_Guy (2484 posts) -

Haven't we known they were looking into this for a long time? Either way it is awesome that it finally is "real".

I have a copy of the original Deadly Premonition that I haven't opened, and with the possibility of this having a better control scheme I might never open the original...

#31 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

This one will have the weird stuff in it.

#32 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

I was expecting the director's cut to be on both consoles. What a shame!

#33 Posted by Piqued_Interest (63 posts) -

I kind of feel like the original game was already a directors cut.

#34 Posted by gumdealer (96 posts) -

@Bocam said:

@McGhee said:

My wish would be for two separate quick looks, one for each team.

#35 Posted by mustachioeugene (498 posts) -

This is pretty awesome news

#36 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@psylah said:

@Ravenlight said:

@psylah said:

Brought to you by Lubriderm™

"We're having a good time now, aren't we Zach?"

#37 Posted by Taku128 (787 posts) -

@Oscar__Explosion said:

Wasn't this announced at the beginning of the year? I remember hearing something about this before.

It was, but not in an official capacity like this. Swery had talked about it at points but there was never a press release or anything.

Happy this wasn't cancelled, a bit bummed this isn't coming to 360 too since that's my preferred platform, but honestly I'd re-re-buy this game if they released the Director's Cut for 360 at a later date.

#38 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3770 posts) -

PS3 exclusive? Lame. :(

#39 Posted by Sackmanjones (4650 posts) -

This is wonderful news, isn't it Zach?

#40 Posted by Phatmac (5720 posts) -

This is great news, right Zack?

#41 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

PS3, in my coffee.

#42 Posted by Bucketdeth (8003 posts) -

I can finally pick up this......masterpiece.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.