Endurance Run Stats! : Weekly Updated Progress and Time Recorded

• 81 results
#1 Edited by BulletStorm (488 posts) -

How it's going to work.  
  • Time recorded is on a "Time Recorded on the Website" basis, ie: the little white timer at the corner of the video.
  • Time recorded in an "xxx minutes. yy seconds" format, yes - every 60 seconds has been included as a minute. 
  • Progress is rewarded in 25 point integers, points are rewarded on a purely proportional system ie; Team VJ took two episodes to get to where Team BR had progressed in one; as such Team BR was awarded 50 progression points for a single episode whereas Team VJ was awarded 25 points per episode. 
  • Progress will not take in any sidequests into consideration.
  • Progress will not take any open-end exploration in consideration.
  • Progress = Story Progression
  • Game Crashes = Too Bad :(

And finally, here is the weekly conclusion.  
  •  As of 4/9/2010, Team BR is in the lead.  
  • As of 4/16/2010, Team BR is in the lead.
  • As of 4/23/2010, Team BR is in the lead.
  • As of 5/1/2010, Team BR is in the lead.
  • As of 5/12/2010, Team VJ is in the lead. <- OMG!
  • As of 5/15/2010, Team VJ is in the lead.
  • As of 5/22/2010, Team VJ is in the lead.
  • As of 5/26/2010, Team VJ has completed Deadly Premonition 
#2 Posted by FixerofDeath (322 posts) -

Wow, thats pretty cool.
#3 Posted by YellowKing (115 posts) -

I'm guessing you didn't factor in the time team VJ spent playing that was lost due to capture failure just prior to Ep. 3?

#4 Posted by Bones8677 (3278 posts) -

But Team VJ have mastered opening doors where as Team BR has not. Shouldn't that factor into the score?

#5 Posted by Gav47 (1542 posts) -
@BulletStorm:  Oh hell yes, are you the guy who did the graphs for the Persona 4 ER? In any case, graphs and stats are dope. 
#6 Posted by royale_alter (19 posts) -

Awesome graphs 
I think it's funny that VJ are entire episode behind, checkpoint wise

#7 Posted by IronPrefect (24 posts) -

Awesome post.

#8 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -
@BulletStorm: Sir, this is awesome. i love it.
#9 Edited by BulletStorm (488 posts) -
@Gav47: I am not, but I've done really, really huge pie charts before for this one podcast called Control Point. It ran for 100 episodes, 3-ish years, all about Team Fortress 2.  

Anyways - Brad and Ryan's progress bar is subject to change as - I don't really know how much further they got. The progress Team BR makes completely depends on the progress Team VJ makes. 

@YellowKing: I'm afraid not, we can't say for sure how much time was lost and the number of minutes each team accumulates it based on the length of the video recorded that day.  
#10 Posted by RobotHamster (4177 posts) -
@BulletStorm: This is awesome man, good job.
#11 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -
@BulletStorm said:
"
How it's going to work.  
  • Time recorded is on a "Time Recorded on the Website" basis, ie: the little white timer at the corner of the video.
  • Time recorded in an "xxx minutes. yy seconds" format, yes - every 60 seconds has been included as a minute. 
  • Progress is rewarded in 25 point integers, points are rewarded on a purely proportional system ie; Team VJ took two episodes to get to where Team BR had progressed in one; as such Team BR was awarded 50 progression points for a single episode whereas Team VJ was awarded 25 points per episode. 
  • Progress points awarded at the end of the week - to the team in the lead, are subject to change as it is unclear how far they have progressed. 

And finally, here is the weekly conclusion.  
  •  As of 4/9/2010, Team BR is in the lead.  
"
You either need to get out more or stay in all together.
#12 Posted by TurboMan (7734 posts) -

I want to see this every week.

#13 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

team VJ needs to do a really long episode like 2 hours to catch up and get a bit a head.
#14 Posted by OroJackson (680 posts) -

Two things I love: Mathematical Statistics and the Endurance Run are now toghether in one big juicy graph

I love this website

#15 Posted by gla55jAw (2697 posts) -

Graphs rule!

#16 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I believe the gauntlet has been thrown.  The race is now afoot.

#17 Posted by FireSketch (827 posts) -
@scarace360: The teams need to do 2 hour episodes anyway, loving this ER!
#18 Posted by Atomasist (2818 posts) -

Math!

#19 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -

@RiotBananas: You might be surprised to know that this took less than an hour to make and publish, also graphs are neat to look at.

@TurboMan: You should expect to see an updated graph every friday or saturday depending on my schedule.  

#20 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -

Don't know how taboo bumps are, but I hope we can make an exception so Week #2's graph can see the light of day.

#21 Posted by pirate_republic (1117 posts) -

This is such a cool idea.

#22 Posted by Urmean (599 posts) -

I think Jeff and Vinny are still in the lead in spirit, considering they went non-linear for a while before entering the mill.

#23 Posted by takua108 (1483 posts) -
@BulletStorm said:
" Don't know how taboo bumps are, but I hope we can make an exception so Week #2's graph can see the light of day. "
Hell, if you update the graphs in a timely manner, this should be a pinned topic.
#24 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -

Hey yall. Week numero two coming to an end, one last chart update will come - probably saturday - gonna call it early - TEAM BR is in the lead in both progress and best progress to time ratio.

#25 Posted by armaan8014 (5452 posts) -

Oh my god this must have taken a lot of time!!

#26 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -

Week 2 Stats complete!!! 

Team VJ is closing the gap, their Progress to Time ratio is only .004 off from Team BR's Progress to Time Ratio. 

#27 Posted by Dalai (7070 posts) -

These graphs are the work of a crazy person. Don't you agree, Zach?

#28 Posted by wolf_blitzer85 (5293 posts) -

Cool stuff man! Love me some bar graphs.

#29 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -
@Dalai: Crazy for charts I suppose - this also answers all of those "Who's doing better?" questions. I just wish there was a bit more buzz around this thread - I guess people aren't intrigued by "Updated Progress and Time Recorded", I really wish I had used the word graph but whatever. 

Vinny and Jeff have to get into it a little more I think before they can pass Brad and Ryan, VJ has experience but BR has heart :D
#30 Posted by PK_Koopa (583 posts) -

I love this idea!
Nice of you to take the initiative to do this.

#31 Posted by ajamafalous (12160 posts) -

Looking forward to this being updated weekly.

#32 Posted by KingBroly (1645 posts) -

I would think the team that endures the longest is the winner.  The goal is to endure as long as possible, correct?

#33 Posted by HistoryInRust (6407 posts) -
@BulletStorm said:
" @Gav47: I am not, but I've done really, really huge pie charts before for this one podcast called Control Point. It ran for 100 episodes, 3-ish years, all about Team Fortress 2.  

Anyways - Brad and Ryan's progress bar is subject to change as - I don't really know how much further they got. The progress Team BR makes completely depends on the progress Team VJ makes. 

@YellowKing: I'm afraid not, we can't say for sure how much time was lost and the number of minutes each team accumulates it based on the length of the video recorded that day.   "
Wait, so BR films their portion after VJ does their's?

Good to know. I wonder how difficult it is for one group to avoid the other's spoilers.
#34 Posted by dudeglove (8297 posts) -

Is Brad really "in the lead"? I mean, c'mon.

#35 Posted by Piglet (129 posts) -

Loving the updates...keep them coming

#36 Posted by WindFall259 (369 posts) -

Fantastic work. This man deserves an achievement.

#37 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -

Okay, now the post is pinned - I promise to update on a weekly basis but because I can't keep myself from making graphs I'll probably update more frequently than that. A graph might show up today or tomorrow while I break out the week 3 numbers.

#38 Posted by Tactical_Kill (1695 posts) -

This is really cool dude, keep up the great work.

#39 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -

New format I might work with for week three - black background good?  chrome template bad? shiny bars good? let me know.
#40 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1438 posts) -

This is awesome. I only watch Team BR, because I want to see whats going on in the story. I watch team VJ because they are funnier.
#41 Posted by Zanthox (239 posts) -

Nice! I was expecting a chart of their cash earned and ingame scores but this is epic!

#42 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -

A little bit behind schedule because of how late BR-12 was, or because I never got around to finding BR-12 in the Endurance Run Videos Tab... 

In any case - I've decided to stick to the old white template - but keep the shiny bars. I also think that this bar graph is actually a histogram ... anyone know for sure?

#43 Posted by TurboMan (7734 posts) -

VJ will come back, I promise.

#44 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -

Week 3 DONE. 

Team VJ Closed the time gap - but fell behind in plot progression.  I am rooting for a Team VJ comeback!

#45 Edited by Fbomb (1168 posts) -
@BulletStorm said:

"

New format I might work with for week three - black background good?  chrome template bad? shiny bars good? let me know. "

It's not so much the formatting with regard to the colours, but your graph makes it somewhat difficult to compare data. Have you thought of putting the time on a primary axis and progress on a secondary? Or create a pareto chart with progress detailed by chapter length for each of the teams? As an analyst who creates charts like these on adaily basis, I approve, but it's difficult to compare what's actually going on with these in their current grouping.

Also, splitting the time and progress into secondary axis will allow you to use a percentage, rather than an arbitrary point system that matches with time. Just a thought.
#46 Posted by Fbomb (1168 posts) -
@BulletStorm said:
" A little bit behind schedule because of how late BR-12 was, or because I never got around to finding BR-12 in the Endurance Run Videos Tab...  In any case - I've decided to stick to the old white template - but keep the shiny bars. I also think that this bar graph is actually a histogram ... anyone know for sure? "
It's not a histogram, because you're measuring so many different things, and haven't created consistent "buckets" for your results to fit into. This is a horizontal bar graph.
#47 Posted by armaan8014 (5452 posts) -
@BulletStorm: How about this kind of a graph? Excuse the looks please :)

#48 Posted by supermike6 (3645 posts) -

The fact that side-missions don't count really puts this in br's favour.

#49 Posted by BulletStorm (488 posts) -
@Fbomb: I'll try something new for week 4 but I'll definitely try to rerelease week 3's graph with your suggestions.
#50 Edited by Fbomb (1168 posts) -

Here's a simple mock-up of what I mean (progress is above time spent for each episode, and teams are side-by-side to make direct comparisons easier). The numbers are made up, but hopefully you get the gist of it...

Edit: I'm not trying to be critical, I just really like the idea, and thought I'd put in my two cents.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.