Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

European Release Announced.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By flaminghobo
    'Deadly Premonition, Access Games' creepy, low-budget survival horror adventure starring an insane FBI investigator, is on the way to Europe. Former Marvelous partner and "Home of Japanese Games" Rising Star Games will publish the surreal open-world Xbox 360 game in Europe this "autumn," for £24.99 ($39), which isn't quite as wallet-friendly as the North American release's $19.99 price point, but is still less than full price.

In the press release, Rising Star noted the unusual
    range of reactions from reviewers, including IGN's 2/10 review. Seriously, this quote is in the press release announcing the game: "Awful in nearly every way... Terrible controls. Terrible pacing. Terrible sound effects. Terrible visuals." Absolutely everything about this game is insane, even the people publishing it.' 

Taken from Joystiq's article.
    Teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Teclo

Just preordered it. Made me laugh to see them using Destructiod's 10/10 review on the cover. It's true that they gave it that, but they said it was technically terrible, had "atrocious graphics" and was a "trainwreck" - obviously they're not going to use those as the quote on the box, though.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

Sad to see the pricing. I probably won't get it when it releases, as 39$ will translate to 50$, when taxes are included, and that is a bit high for the amount of entertainment i would probably have with it. Sad. :(

Teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Teclo

I'm a bit confused, Jeust. Are you saying you're American and you're going to buy the European version? Why didn't you pick it up already? Even if you're not from America, why didn't you already get the American copy if you can play games from outside your region?

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jeust
    @Teclo said:

" I'm a bit confused, Jeust. Are you saying you're American and you're going to buy the European version? Why didn't you pick it up already? Even if you're not from America, why didn't you already get the American copy if you can play games from outside your region? "

I'm not american. I said i wouldn't get it now, in the sense that i am not going to buy it when it releases in Europe. Sorry for the confusion.   

It's a bit expensive; I'll might get it in second hand or when it goes on sale though. 
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

If the game isn't budget price, I wonder how the game will sell in Europe.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By HellBrendy
    @Teclo said:
    " Just preordered it. Made me laugh to see them using Destructiod's 10/10 review on the cover. It's true that they gave it that, but they said it was technically terrible, had "atrocious graphics" and was a "trainwreck" - obviously they're not going to use those as the quote on the box, though. "
    Then how in hell can the game get a 10/10?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jeust
    @HellBrendy said:
    " @Teclo said:
    " Just preordered it. Made me laugh to see them using Destructiod's 10/10 review on the cover. It's true that they gave it that, but they said it was technically terrible, had "atrocious graphics" and was a "trainwreck" - obviously they're not going to use those as the quote on the box, though. "
    Then how in hell can the game get a 10/10? "
    read the review and you'll see why. ^^
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#9  Edited By alistercat
    @JJOR64:  £25 is budget price for a new game.
    @Jeust:  Well most online retailers are selling it for £17.99 not the £25 RRP. What did you expect, £10?
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jeust
    @AlisterCat said:

" @JJOR64:  £25 is budget price for a new game.
    @Jeust:  Well most online retailers are selling it for £17.99 not the £25 RRP. What did you expect, £10? "

that's a better price. ^^ 

I have to see it when it launches. I expected to be sold at 20$, but i was naive to think it would came here with that price tag also.
    eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By eroticfishcake

I saw this a while ago but I don't know if it's just released on the 360 or the PS3 as well. Anyone know? Technically I could import the Japanese copy for the PS3 but isn't that in Japanese?

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#12  Edited By alistercat
    @Jeust:  We have to pay more for our games anyway, you know this. Don't think about American prices, taxes are very different here. £18 is a very reasonable price for this oddity considering it will sell almost nothing. I shouldn't complain because I have a £10 Amazon gift voucher and am only paying £8 for the game.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jeust
    @AlisterCat said:
    " @Jeust:  We have to pay more for our games anyway, you know this. Don't think about American prices, taxes are very different here. £18 is a very reasonable price for this oddity considering it will sell almost nothing. I shouldn't complain because I have a £10 Amazon gift voucher and am only paying £8 for the game. "
    yeah, I was expecting 20$ without taxes, and the initial price seemed a bit on the heavy side. I'll have to check out Amazon.  
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#14  Edited By Atlas

Ugh. Can't we please just let this bad game die? I was rather looking forward to it not coming out in Europe at all so I wouldn't be offended by its presence. Let's see how forgiving gamers are at £25 rather than $20. It's up for preorder at Amazon for £17, but honestly I can't imagine paying a penny over £10 for it.

Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By Animagess
    @eroticfishcake said:
    " I saw this a while ago but I don't know if it's just released on the 360 or the PS3 as well. Anyone know? Technically I could import the Japanese copy for the PS3 but isn't that in Japanese? "
     The PAL version is only being released on the 360 in the UK, except Australia won't get an official release because the rating board sucks.  The unlocalized PS3 version has English voice acting, but all the menus and dialogue text are in Japanese.  Nothing heavily plot-relevant is in text as there is a lot of talking, but a lot of the extra NPC interactions and adventure-style Observe text you'll have to puzzle out for yourself.  There might be a localized PS3 version someday, but no word from Ignition or Rising Star on that front.

@Atlas: 
     Bite your tongue, heathen.  I paid $30 Canadian for this little gem and I'd have easily paid twice that much, no joking.  Would it surprise you to learn I'm not the only one who feels that way?  And if you're talking how much mileage in minutes you're going to get for your dollar... It was a much better deal than the $70 I dropped for Alan Wake.

I also bought a copy for my siblings... And I'd buy another if I had other friends who actually played video games, besides the one who already played it with me.
    Teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Teclo
    @HellBrendy said:

Then how in hell can the game get a 10/10? " 

Jim Sterling was making the point that numerical ratings are a pretty bad way to represent how someone feels about a game (or anything for that matter). EDGE magazine makes similar points. He said something along the lines that if he rated it for its actual quality, like its graphics, gameplay etc, then it would get a very bad mark. If he rated it for how it made him feel, it would get a 10/10 despite not technically being in the league of "accepted" classics like Half Life 2 or Deus Ex (my examples, not his). Me and my friends usually refer to these sorts of games as "6/10 games". That is, you know they kind of suck and can't honestly be compared to a AAA title, but you just love them for some inexplicable reason and find them very enjoyable. For us, that's games like the Fatal Frame series, Drakengard and Dynasty Warriors. They usually get 6/10 in magazines (or worse) but they're as dear to our hearts as any widely accepted 10/10 game.

Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Urmean

10/10, game of the year.
    Of all years.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By c1337us
    @Teclo said:
    Ha ha they used that on the game box? I imported it a while ago but good news for people who dont like to do so I guess.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By Ramone
    @HellBrendy:  Because destructoid sucks. I know its sorta funny to watch and playthrough but actually giving the game 10/10 is ridiculous, this webite is supposes to be informing people's choices not giving them joke reviews.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee
    @Atlas said:
    " Ugh. Can't we please just let this bad game die? I was rather looking forward to it not coming out in Europe at all so I wouldn't be offended by its presence. Let's see how forgiving gamers are at £25 rather than $20. It's up for preorder at Amazon for £17, but honestly I can't imagine paying a penny over £10 for it. "
    Can't you please realise that not everyone see's it as a bad game?
    BunkerBuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By BunkerBuster

Here's hoping you guys get some bonus content from the price raise.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By WalkerTR77

I know that Deadly premonition isn't good, but I can see myself getting it and possibly even finding something to like about it.

Teclo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Teclo
    @Jonny7892: Way to miss the point. The idea can be summed up with the following example: the quality of a game like Halo 3 means it should deserve 9/10 or 10/10. It's made to a very high level, it's polished as hell, the weapons and gameplay has been refined throughout the franchise, etc etc. However, what if you don't like the idea of the enemies being aliens that make silly noises, rather than actual humans? What if you think it's kind of cheesy to play as a SUPER CYBORG WARRIOR DUDE rather than a normal soldier? Plenty of people have a problem with elements like that, in fact pretty much all of my friends don't like sci-fi and so they don't like Halo. Keep the game exactly the same but only change it to a setting with soldiers fighting in a real war, and they'd like it. In each case, it would technically be the same 10/10 game but it would make them feel more into the game if it was a real setting rather than a kind of comic book America vs the Univese kind of setting.

As I already said, I can see that a game like Drakengard is technically poor and I wouldn't expect many other people to like it. However, I had more fun playing that game and felt my experience was very unique and worthwhile. I did not get that feeling while playing supposedly 10/10, "must play" games like Mario Galaxy, GTA4 or any of the Call of Duty games. So to me, and people like me, we can see that something like Modern Warfare is a very well made game and it doesn't surprise us to see it getting high numerical scores, however nothing about the gameplay or the way the 10/10 reviews describe it makes us like it at all. That Destructoid review of Deadly Premonition as well as the 1UP review really made sense to me, and I completely agreed with how Jim gave it a 10 because it made him feel really happy to play and was totally unique, rather than giving a 10 to just another very polished FPS.
    Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Animagess
    @WalkerTR77 said:
    " I know that Deadly premonition isn't good, but I can see myself getting it and possibly even finding something to like about it. "
    You won't be alone if you do.  Did you already watch the ERs, then?
    Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By Azteck
    @Atlas said:
    " Ugh. Can't we please just let this bad game die? I was rather looking forward to it not coming out in Europe at all so I wouldn't be offended by its presence. Let's see how forgiving gamers are at £25 rather than $20. It's up for preorder at Amazon for £17, but honestly I can't imagine paying a penny over £10 for it. "
    "Offended by it's presence"? Are you really that pathetic that a box on a shelf makes you feel offended? Get over yourself, man. It's just a game and besides, not everyone finds it as revolting as you do. I can see where you're coming from since it's technically not polished and so forth but still.
    Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Animagess

I think he just confused Deadly Premonition with Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing.  Put it that way and his post makes a lot more sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.