First Review: IGN - 2/10

• 52 results
#1 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -
http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1070909p1.html  

Closing Comments
Awful in nearly every way. The Twin Peaks meets Resident Evil with a dash of Grand Theft Auto formula sounds pretty great, but it was well beyond the capabilities of this development team. Terrible controls. Terrible pacing. Terrible sound effects. Terrible visuals. Maybe you can convince yourself that these things don't matter as you work through this surreal and quirky storyline. The rest of us will be off playing better videogames. "

2.0/10

I feel a quick look is in order for this one! Should be good... 

#2 Posted by Andorski (5311 posts) -

I got a chuckle out of the US IGN review.

Deadly Premonition is the definition of a system seller. Once you play it, you'll want to go sell your system. - Erik Brudvig

#3 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

Sounds about right. I've seen the trailers, and they look truly awful.

#4 Posted by EpicSteve (6487 posts) -

Doesn't look too good.

#5 Edited by ProfessorEss (7378 posts) -

I gotta add that "Deadly Premonition" is one horrible, horrible ass name.

#6 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -

Sadly it hasn't got a release date for the UK at the moment... I was going to buy it day one, as well! Darn.

#7 Edited by Melvargh (496 posts) -

I didn't know anything about this game, other than the fact it exists...at least I think I remember hearing the name at one point.

Quick look required.

#8 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11753 posts) -

This game seems like quick look material to me.

#9 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
@ArbitraryWater said:
" This game seems like quick look material to me. "
YESSSSS
#10 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said: 

" I gotta add that "Deadly Premonition" is one horrible, horrible ass name. "

If you think that's bad, you should know it's called Red Seeds Profile in Japan, and used to be called Rainy Woods. At least the name Deadly Premonition, crappy though it may be, makes the game's intent clear: it aims to be some kind of horror game.
#11 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -

That gameplay footage was atrocious.

#12 Posted by HatKing (5956 posts) -

It looks awful. I want to see a Quick Look of it. lol 

I feel like Quick Looks are less of showing us what the game is and more just us laughing at what the Giant Bomb team is willing to put up with.  It is usually the bad games or the good games they play wrong that make them hilarious.

#13 Posted by Driadon (2998 posts) -

I saw a couple gameplay videos and now I am sold; I MUST rent this, if only to laugh and laugh and laugh...

#14 Posted by PenguinDoctor (293 posts) -

Shocked!
#15 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

Hey, at least it's only 19.99.

#16 Posted by Rayfield (2097 posts) -

Ignition Entertainment are all set for an awesome 2010 by spending money to publish this apparently awful piece of shit.

I remember the trailer and was blown away by how bad it looked. 

Shane Bettenhausen now works for Ignition, and his twitter recently linked to...this: 

#17 Posted by Red (5995 posts) -

Endurance Run please.

#18 Posted by pause422 (6188 posts) -

Seeing as I've never heard of the game, I can't say I'm surprised.

#19 Posted by ZombieHunterOG (3530 posts) -
@pause422 said:
" Seeing as I've never heard of the game, I can't say I'm surprised. "
Same here
#20 Posted by Hailinel (24856 posts) -
@Kbm600 said:
" That gameplay footage was atrocious. "
I honestly couldn't believe how long that drive was.  Ever time I thought they were about to get to their destination, another turn in the road appeared.  It makes the overworld in No More Heroes look like GTAIV by comparison.
#21 Posted by Kbm600 (446 posts) -
@Hailinel said:
" @Kbm600 said:
" That gameplay footage was atrocious. "
I honestly couldn't believe how long that drive was.  Ever time I thought they were about to get to their destination, another turn in the road appeared.  It makes the overworld in No More Heroes look like GTAIV by comparison. "
I think the music and dialogue is what got me. That voice acting is some of the worst I've heard in years.
#22 Posted by Bones8677 (3246 posts) -
@Andorski said:
" I got a chuckle out of the US IGN review.

Deadly Premonition is the definition of a system seller. Once you play it, you'll want to go sell your system. - Erik Brudvig "
HAHAHAHA

That's pretty good. ^.^
#23 Posted by Vlaphor (197 posts) -

Honestly, though I do agree with the 2/10 rating, I'm still enjoying this game.  I love these kinds of games, namely low budget, experimental Japanese games.  Something about the low production values help me overlook the gameplay issues and the twenty dollar price tag makes it easier to recommend.  The combat is functional (not that exciting, but not bad in any way), the dialog is awesome ("I'm as shocked as a weasel in an electric chair."), the menu system is easy to navigate, and the qte scenes aren't that bad. 

The only really terrible thing is the navigation, which is pretty broken.  You can bring up a map by hitting back, but it has several problems.  Not only can you not see the whole world at once on the map, the part you can see is pretty small.  The map rotates based on whichever way you are facing, which is confusing as hell.  You are an arrow on the map, always pointing up, so when you change direction, the map rotates.  There is no way to manually rotate the map.  Another problem is that even though you can cycle through various hotpoints on the map with the two triggers, there is no way to connect the hotpoint with where you are.  You have to look at where the point is, see what street it is on, see what major street it is near, then go back to your location on the map and try to figure out how to get to the same street from where you are.  It's like trying to use a map in real life, except for the fact that the map is constantly changing direction each time you check it.

Another problem is that the game is kind of hard to get into.  For the first couple of hours, you are constantly being herded along from one point to another, unable to take the time to explore the open world.  Alot of the places don't even open until after the town meeting scene, which is about four hours into the game.  The first four hours aren't really that bad, but it runs contrary to the rest of the spirit of the game.  

However, as I have said, I'm actually enjoying this game.  It is horribly outdated, but I can enjoy games from back then and I feel this game has been rewarding enough for the eight or so hours I've put into it to see it to the end.  For what it is worth, the game has really short load times and a smooth frame rate, so that doesn't get in the way.  I'll probably write a full size review when I beat the game, which I hope is soon, as I want to play Heavy Rain tomorrow as well

#24 Posted by ArchV1le (232 posts) -

Can someone explain why the graphics look like garbage? Did they actually think this looked modern or were they going for a shitty "retro" (aka ps2 era) look to go with the gameplay?

#25 Posted by Vlaphor (197 posts) -
@ArchV1le: 

Game was first shown in 2005 and was done by a small developer.
#26 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -

So this is 20 bucks of easy achievements? 

I'll wait for a copy to show up used.

#27 Posted by immike (714 posts) -

lol, the game trailer on GB didn't exactly look good at all. It had little in the form of gameplay or what was actually going on..haha.

#28 Posted by demontium (4709 posts) -
@iizcallum: Im going to buy it ASAP.
#29 Posted by Bubahula (2197 posts) -

quick look!

#30 Posted by solidlife (878 posts) -

son I am disappoint.

#31 Posted by jakob187 (21675 posts) -
@ArchV1le: Comments like this make me laugh at ignorance. 

This is a budget title.  That means the publishers just threw as little money as possible in order to get a game made, then they'll release it and pray on bargain bin sales.  Frankly, it's a shitty practice, but it at least gets some work on a studio's resume.
#32 Posted by turbobo (5 posts) -

I'm buying this 

#33 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -
@demontium: Haha :D You have to tell me what it's like, because I can't get it, sadly. It's a shame to deprive Europe of this gem. :(
#34 Edited by Branthog (5562 posts) -

Regarding that youtube video:  Was that guy being sarcastic?  Why the fuck would anyone do an "unboxing" of a plain old videogame? And why would a twenty hour game need two discs? OH MY GOD! Twenty entire hours! Just like how Fallout 3 came out on sixteen discs.

#35 Posted by SJSchmidt93 (4895 posts) -
@Andorski said:
" I got a chuckle out of the US IGN review.

Deadly Premonition is the definition of a system seller. Once you play it, you'll want to go sell your system. - Erik Brudvig "
That is... that is good. 
#36 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I can understand this.

#37 Edited by Jeust (10655 posts) -
@turbobo said:

" I'm buying this  "

Me too. I like these low budget experimental horror games. 
#38 Posted by Ransom (105 posts) -
#39 Posted by ryeguy489 (117 posts) -

I definitely want this game

#40 Posted by TwoOneFive (9459 posts) -

wowzers 

#41 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -
#42 Edited by larryrules138 (142 posts) -

I'm a few hours into it. Definitely deserves better than a 2/10. This isn't a great game by any means, but it's not terrible either. It's surreal, and oftentimes laugh-out-loud funny. If they planned for the game to be this funny this is like Andy Kaufman-level comedy genius. It's genuinely enjoyable though, at least to me. Scenes like the one Destructoid featured permeate the game and make me push forward in the hopes of more. The combat's catching a lot of flak which I don't really understand. It's certainly not great but it's functional. And I guess that basically summarizes the game, but the insanity factor and the hilarious cutscenes make it totally worth the price

#43 Posted by Metiphis (388 posts) -

Dudes over at GAF are going apeshit crazy horse for this game.  I'm gonna pick it up off Amazon and give it a shot.  20 bucks ain't too bad.

#44 Posted by Alphiehyr (1083 posts) -
@Red said:
" Endurance Run please. "
I think the Giantbomb staff would rather kill themselves then do a full Endurance Run on this game.
#45 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

I really want to see a Quick Look of this game. :D

#46 Posted by iizcallum (606 posts) -

Oooh, I can feel a Quick Look coming on, they've put a trailer on the front page of the website, this usually means they're going to do something to do with the game later on :D

#47 Posted by DeBurgo (70 posts) -

I'm throwing it down right now, without having played it yet (it's on the way, though): This game looks like the God Hand of survival horror/adventure games. If you don't like it, you might as well stop playing videogames.

#48 Posted by Azrail (404 posts) -

destructoids review is the best+

#49 Posted by BeachThunder (11956 posts) -
#50 Posted by RocketFacepalm (36 posts) -

IGN is trash. They're the same ones who gave God Hand that trashy review. This game is well worth the $20 and even if this was priced at $60 it will still be worth every penny. Deadly Premonitions will be one of the most underrated games this year, IMO.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.