Going in blind - Anything I should know?

#1 Edited by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

I have not watched the Endurance Run and know essentially nothing about this game besides having read the manual and watching a few bizarre cutscenes. Being a weird Japanese game, I know there's a good chance that there will be some pitfalls that I'd like to avoid.

So, without spoiling the story, is there anything in particular I should watch out for or make a priority? Should I be doing side missions before story, or the other way around?

#2 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

There are some infinite ammo version of weapons hidden around the world- they make some later parts of the game much, much more manageable. I'd suggest finding them as soon as possible.

#3 Edited by SoldierG654342 (1736 posts) -

Play it on easy. Find all the bones on the map as soon as possible. Don't use the radio, you miss out on one of the best parts of the game.

#4 Posted by white_sox (185 posts) -

Don't run out of gas.

#5 Posted by dabe (299 posts) -

Do as many side quests as you can. Don't worry about spending days between story missions to complete them. Get the infinite ammo weapons as quickly as you can find them and don't watch Twin Peaks first.

#6 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

I read a discussion about the ERs where people commented that a lot of the guys' frustration could have been avoided by doing some extra things, so I'm glad to have some specifics.

Thanks everybody!

#7 Posted by McGhee (6094 posts) -

It's in the coffee. That is all you need to know.

#8 Posted by Video_Game_King (36110 posts) -

If we tell you, then you're not going in blind.

#9 Posted by tourgen (4432 posts) -

Smoke to pass some time, do side quests , visit people at their homes, aim for the head

#10 Posted by animathias (1172 posts) -
@dabe said:

Do as many side quests as you can. Don't worry about spending days between story missions to complete them. Get the infinite ammo weapons as quickly as you can find them and don't watch Twin Peaks first.

This nails it on the head. Ignore the story missions until you've done everything you can. Besides a tiny bit of dialog about you being late, there's no repercussions. and the benefits from most of the side missions make the game so much better.
#11 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

don't rely on the map, because it's mostly useless

#12 Edited by Akyho (1586 posts) -

All I have to say it stay focused. I too went in blind and I am maybe half way? Its a great game, I need to complete it and get round to the ER.

#13 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Aim for the head. Isn't that right, Zach?

#14 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

FK

#15 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (730 posts) -

The map is shaped like a dog.

#16 Edited by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

It's helpful to explore a lot. Rather than going from point a to b, instead take your time and just drive around and talk to people. You will end up doing a lot side quests with good rewards. And really the worst part of the game is the combat, so that pads out the in-between combat stuff as much as possible and gives you good items to make it less of an issue.

#17 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

#18 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

Um, obviously? I was just trying to say that I have no idea what I'm in for and wanted some advice.

#19 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

Well, that was an interesting week. Game finished and all 65 cards found. What a wonderful experience.

Thanks again for all the advice, guys. There are a few amendments I would make for anyone in a similar situation as I was (no knowledge of the game, looking for obvious tips without spoilers).

First and most important, I think, is that anyone looking to do the sidequests needs to know what "Available Side Missions" in the menu means. Specifically, that the numbers in the quest list refer to the chapters that mission is available in. I spent a third of the game thinking it referred to what side-quests would become available after I cleared that mission (which was a really dumb assumption) and so had to spend a lot of time doing the replays to see some fairly backstory-important missions (such as the quest chain that starts with Anna's mother).

Also, the "don't use the radio" advice is helpful, given how amazing the car conversations are. However, I would phrase it as "don't use the radio...when advancing the story." Once you've burned through the conversations at a given point, York just cycles through a bunch of meaningless hums and hahs. I've played enough Japanese games where doing one seemingly insignificant action can lock you out of important content (example: FFXII chests and the Zodiac Spear) and it'd be easy to make the wrong assumption about the radio.

Finally, here's two things I discovered: First, there's a warp point via the radio that has a bed and spawns infinite food if you want to avoid going back to the hotel (if you don't want to conclude a chapter or something). This makes for good base for advancing time while doing side quests. You'll need to go to the Sheriff's Department to get cleaned up, though. Second, Chapter 7 is probably the most efficient replay chapter for side-quests, as it has the least amount of content you have to deal with in order to conclude the replay to compile your progress into your save.

Spoil-free advice is a fine line to walk down. I appreciate how you guys left it nice and vague, and the stuff I just typed out might be too much information for a newcomer wanting a fresh experience. Either way, I felt like saying it. Now I can look forward to watching both Endurance Runs until I get completely sick of this game. Right, Zach?

#20 Posted by Nilazz (608 posts) -

Now, play through the Director's Cut ;)

#21 Posted by TooWalrus (13139 posts) -

Mmm... sinners sandwich...

#22 Posted by Bell_End (1208 posts) -

be aware they games is actually shit an is for the most part liked ironically. the story is ok but the game feels like it fell out of 10 years ago.

#23 Posted by SagaciousJones (143 posts) -

@Nilazz said:

That's the plan. I'll probably pick it up on release since I get the vibe that it'll have a limited print run which will skyrocket the price after a few months. I'm already regretting not getting Xenoblade Chronicles when I had the the chance.

Oh, one more thing: DO NOT READ THE TRADING CARDS. A handful of them contain some pretty big spoilers. Not enough to ruin the mystery, but enough to take some suspense out of how the plot plays out.

#24 Posted by WEB_War4 (111 posts) -

Don't forget to watch Twin Peaks.

#25 Posted by NickL (2246 posts) -

@SagaciousJones said:

@Nilazz said:

That's the plan. I'll probably pick it up on release since I get the vibe that it'll have a limited print run which will skyrocket the price after a few months. I'm already regretting not getting Xenoblade Chronicles when I had the the chance.

Oh, one more thing: DO NOT READ THE TRADING CARDS. A handful of them contain some pretty big spoilers. Not enough to ruin the mystery, but enough to take some suspense out of how the plot plays out.

There is no such thing as limited in games anymore. At least that's what I keep telling myself to avoid buying shit like Too Human.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.