GOTY In The Coffee: Deadly Premonition Response Tracker

#1 Edited by Animagess (157 posts) -

Or, "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Deadly Premonition".

DRINKING GAME FOR DP FANS: Take a shot every time someone tries to justify your love of the game by saying it's because you think it's "so bad it's good".  Take two shots when someone suspects you of playing some kind of horrible joke on more discerning gamers, like themselves.  Take five shots if someone accuses you of liking it because of the Endurance Runs.  Warning: Players on the Giant Bomb forums may be susceptible to alcohol poisoning.

SOURCES: Destructoid, 1-Up, G4TV, Game Informer, X-Play, Chris' Survival Horror Quest, NowGamer, Something Awful, the Giant Bomb forums, Joystick Division, NTSC-UK, BeefJack, and a few other places I can't remember.  There were a lot of other positive reviews of the game, but not all of them had quotes that could be shortened to a single phrase, so I had to pick and choose accordingly.

Now, let's examine some cold hard numbers, shall we?

METACRITIC SCORES (based on 23 critic reviews)
Above 75: 10
Above 70: 5
Above 60: 3, 1 of which is non-English 
50 and below: 5, two of which are non-English.  Also GameCritics has a second opinion review not yet listed on Metacritic which gave it a 7.5.

USER REVIEWS: 8.4 based on 142 ratings
AMAZON.COM REVIEWS: 4/5 stars (70 reviews)

SELECTED INDIVIDUAL SCORES 
1-Up: B
X-Play: 4/5
OXM: 7/10 
Edge: 7/10
Gamespot: 7/10 
GamesTM: 8/10
Eurogamer: 7/10
360 Magazine UK: 7/10
NTSC-UK: 11/10 (?!) 

OTHER EXPOSURE
GamePro: When You're Strange feature 
Game Developer's Magazine: Post-mortem feature, Agent York on cover
MIT video lecture by Matt Weise

NOW WHAT DID THEY ACTUALLY SAY? 
If I had to sum up what most mainstream critics ended up saying about the game, regardless of their review scores, it would go something like this (and no, I am in complete certainty that these critics did indeed pick up the controller and play the game, as opposed to watching the Endurance Runs):

MAINSTREAM CRITICAL RESPONSE (POSITIVE)
-For better or worse, it's a completely unique gaming experience.
-Twin Peaks much?  Not that that's a bad thing, but c'mon!
-The gameplay and graphics are terrible.
-Combat is a bloody chore...
-...but God help me, the story kept me playing anyway.
-"QUIRKY BIZARRE CHARM" (number one DP review cliche, aside from "DESPITE ITS FLAWS...")
-The map system sucked, although it did force me to learn my way around Greenvale without it.
-Story and characters are awesome.  In fact they pretty much make the game worth playing.
-I have to admit, some parts were genuinely creeping me out.
-Audio mixing is terrible, in a hilarious way.
-Voice acting is meh in general, but not ear-grindingly terrible.  York's VA did excellent job.
-It's really hard to tell whether some of the humor and wonky design choices were intentional or not.
-Clearly, this game does not take itself seriously.  This is the only explanation for some of the antics going on here.  
-This game is surprising in all the right places.
-The final plot twist would never be as awesome in any other medium.
-Only 20$ for over 24 hours of gameplay?  Why haven't you bought this yet?  

MAINSTREAM CRITICAL RESPONSE (NEGATIVE) 
The negative scores are of course completely focused on the gameplay.  Not even so much the graphics, just the controls and combat.  Not much to say in this area, except that it's really the only sticking point that could cause a person to fall on one side of the fence or the other.  Begrudgingly, all five of the negative reviews on Metacritic agree that there's something special about the story, even if it's buried under six feet of awful gameplay.  Unfortunately, for some people this is a hurdle that cannot be overcome; understandable of course, but you'd think a lot more people would have hated the game if it was that terrible.

In general, the actual reviews tend to sound more positive than the scores.  I imagine that if the gameplay and graphics were better, DP might have done exceedingly well, but in another sense it also would have been a completely different game.  Critics who scored the game higher tended to take the technical flaws in stride and as part of the experience, whereas more objective reviewers tended to hover around the 7/10 territory.  Some of them didn't seem to understand exactly why they liked it, but hey, that's the magic of SWERY.

OTHER RESPONSES
Not going to say too much about this, but judging from other forums and boards, not to mention comment sections, Deadly Premonition definitely ranks higher among players than critics.  This isn't surprising for a number of reasons, but here are some similar trends:

-Survival horror enthusiasts tend to have a much easier time with the controls than gamers who are used to, say, first-person shooters.  This shouldn't be surprising but it would explain why some people are amused at the level of difficulty the GB team had with the combat.
-Twin Peaks or David Lynch fans tend to love the game.  Again, big shock there.
-Dreamcast owners get nostalgic flashbacks when playing DP.
-The "so bad it's good" comment seems to be falling out of favor.  When it does get brought up, there's usually a response like "no, it's actually good", which seems to be happening with more and more frequency as people pick up the game for themselves.  Often you get a comment like "I heard it was so bad it's good, but I'm starting to think this is inaccurate..."
-"The combat isn't nearly as bad as people say it is." 
-The soundtrack, everyone agrees, is simply amazing.
-Whatever else you might think about the game, it's hard to dispute that Agent York is a great character.
-Every once in a while you'll get a strange comment like "My top 3 games of all time are Gears of War II, Modern Warfare II and Deadly Premonition", completely in earnest.
-Fair number of people to whom DP has become a personal favorite, for various reasons.  Pretty inevitable, given it's cult-ish status, I'd say.      

Bloggers, especially those written by gamers with eclectic tastes who can afford to say whatever they want about a particular experience without having to go through the process of scoring, were especially fond of DP.  Apparently it is a game ripe for intellectual consideration as well: 

MIT video lecture
GameCritics articles
BitMob
Pop Matters
LevelFortyTwo

IN CONCLUSION
Deadly Premonition is definitely a video game.  Some people like it ironically.  Some people like it because it's just an enjoyable game.  Some people think it's brilliant.  Some people think the people who think it's brilliant are morons, and some people think the fact that people calling other people morons for thinking the game is brilliant is a sign of the game's brilliance.  And some people spend an awful lot of time and energy telling fans that their reasons for liking the game are "invalid and also dumb".  

I think that is hilarious, Zach.  Don't you agree?

Awesome quotes that didn't make it on the poster: 

"It's the Amy Winehouse of videogames: rambling and incoherent, a bit of a mess and not much to look at, but with a unique and distinctive voice that's very hard to ignore." (EUROGAMER)

"Deadly Premonition is good because it's actually good. ...the foibles and frailties quickly fade when you realize that Deadly Premonition possesses one of video gaming's most treasured traits: unpredictability." (GAMESPOT) 

"Deadly Premonition is a pure diamond in the rough and we love it all the more for its archaic quirks." (NOWGamer) 

PS: Further proof that Life Is Beautiful.

#2 Posted by InfamousBIG (3201 posts) -

Comparing anything to Amy Winehouse is inherently an insult.

#3 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9729 posts) -
@Animagess: "  NTSC-UK: 11/10 (?!)  " 

The last time I saw a game get an 11 was Half-Life 2.  

(Deadly Premonition is better though. Well, not gameplay wise, but overall it is). 
#4 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -
@InfamousBIG said:

" Comparing anything to Amy Winehouse is inherently an insult. "

I don't know what that writer thinks of Winehouse, but "rambling, incoherent, unique and distinctive" is a pretty awesome way to describe anything.

@MooseyMcMan said:

" @Animagess: "  NTSC-UK: 11/10 (?!)  " 

The last time I saw a game get an 11 was Half-Life 2.    (Deadly Premonition is better though. Well, not gameplay wise, but overall it is).  "

Matt Weise might possibly agree with you.
#5 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -

It's a fun game indeed.

Though, I would have liked it better if it hadn't gone completely crazy at the end. I know a lot of people liked the ending, but I though it was weak.

#6 Posted by Deusoma (2972 posts) -

The story is very, very good, one of the best I've seen in a game all year.

Unfortunately, absolutely everything else about the game is hot garbage. There is simply no denying this.

#7 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
" It's a fun game indeed.  Though, I would have liked it better if it hadn't gone completely crazy at the end. I know a lot of people liked the ending, but I though it was weak. "
Are you referring to
#8 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -
@Animagess said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
" It's a fun game indeed.  Though, I would have liked it better if it hadn't gone completely crazy at the end. I know a lot of people liked the ending, but I though it was weak. "
Are you referring to

yup, that's pretty much it.

#9 Posted by TehFlan (1944 posts) -

Not that DP didn't have a great story, but it doesn't do anything else well enough to really quallify for GOTY, at least in my opinion.

#10 Posted by FirePrince (1762 posts) -

That first image looks like a KFC ad.

#11 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -
@FancySoapsMan said:
" @Animagess said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
Are you referring to

"
#12 Edited by ArchScabby (5809 posts) -

I don't think it's so bad it's good, I think it's so bad it's a terrible, game with shitty controls, boring, and dated gameplay, ugly, washed out visuals, and horrible characters and voice acting.

It's popular because it's such a worthless, irremediable, incompetent piece of shit, not because it's so bad it's good.

#13 Posted by Grissefar (2843 posts) -

FK in my coffee. Am I right, Zack?

#14 Posted by MooseyMcMan (9729 posts) -
@Ghostiet said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
" @Animagess said:
" @FancySoapsMan said:
Are you referring to

"
"
The ending blew my mind. 
#15 Posted by Lemoncookie01 (1667 posts) -

Thanks for the new background.

#16 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5750 posts) -
@ArchScabby: It's really not that bad. The gameplay was hard to deal with but not broken. And  the most important thing is, it was fun to play. Everything else means shit to me if I had fun with it. And I did.
#17 Posted by bartok (2371 posts) -

Deadly Premonition is to gamers as ironic t-shirts are to hipsters.

#18 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -
@Deusoma said:

" The story is very, very good, one of the best I've seen in a game all year. Unfortunately, absolutely everything else about the game is hot garbage. There is simply no denying this. "

Well, if you're looking at DP as a total package instead of trying to reduce it down to its component parts (I never understood why games are scored in segments; maybe we should start reviewing movies based on CINEMATOGRAPHY, SOUND, WRITING, and SPECIAL EFFECTS instead of considering how it all fits together), then there's no reason to say it's not a completely enjoyable game with a few rough patches.  There's a number of logical fallacies in this attitude but I'm tired of typing words.

@FancySoapsMan

said:

" yup, that's pretty much it.

@ArchScabby

said:

" I don't think it's so bad it's good, I think it's so bad it's a terrible, game with shitty controls, boring, and dated gameplay, ugly, washed out visuals, and horrible characters and voice acting. It's popular because it's such a worthless, irremediable, incompetent piece of shit, not because it's so bad it's good. "

I know, right?

@bartok said:

" Deadly Premonition is to gamers as ironic t-shirts are to hipsters. "

Honestly, the people accusing the fans of trying to be ironic seem more like the hipsters to me.  Or even better, like Roger Ebert trying to review Blue Velvet!
#19 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -
#20 Edited by jos4 (97 posts) -

Hey Animagess, I was just reading Planet Redwood and I realised you posted this same image in Japanese:
  http://deadlypremonition.com/images/stories/zu_en_big.jpg

Why don't you put the English language version? It really sheds some light on the whole red/white/forest room and messenger thing.

#21 Posted by Damodar (1155 posts) -

Irregardless of whether DP is a masterpiece or a piece of something else entirely, I find it to be excellent that the cast and credits in that Ebert review say that the film was directed by David Lunch.

#22 Edited by Animagess (157 posts) -

What Ebert review of what?  *Google search* 
Blue Velvet?  EDIT: I completely forgot he gave this a one star.  Woooaaaah...

There's very few things in this world I would describe as a masterpiece, even DP (masterpiece to me sounds like an objective evaluation, where I can totally see why someone else wouldn't like the game).  I just think most of the criticism leveled against it isn't very well argued and people should know about the good things being said about it instead of hearing a constant stream of "graphics look like Dreamcast era lol".

@jos4  Because I didn't even know there was an English version!  I'll get around to it over the weekend if my Internet is working.  Thanks a ton, I've been looking for this. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.