Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

OCT 29 PAL RELEASE + DP PREQUEL

• 72 results
    Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Animagess

(Scroll down to see the original OP.) 

Tomorrow, Europe goes head to head with the Raincoat Killer.  In preparation, in case there are people reading this who haven't played the game:

ACTION SHORTCUTS

*  to open doors quickly, press A while running into them
    * to go straight to the map screen, hit Select, not Start
    * to speed up text, hold B
    * to skip the "you got X item" screen, hit start
    * to skip getting in/out of the car animation, hit start
    * to skip Profiing and most cutscenes, hit start (you still get money if you activate Profiling and skip it using this method)
    * to toggle between Item and Toolbox screens while in the toolbox, press the shoulder triggers
    * to turn around instantly, pull back on the stick while tapping X
    * to stop York from talking while in a car (you cannot access the Start menu when he's talking), exit the vehicle.
    * to stop York from pushing something even after it's gone as far as it can go, let go of the A button just before you want him to stop (for example, if you continue to hold forward and A when pushing a crate into a wall, the animation will continue for a few unnecessary seconds.)
    * to switch from window to window instantly while peeping in windows, hit the bumper buttons

KNOWN GLITCHES

DISAPPEARING KEY: There have been issues with characters handing you a crucial key item that can disappear, leaving you unable to progress without it.  You will have to start the game over if this happens because the character will not give you another key, even if you replay the chapter.  The main problem seems to stem from replaying chapters while you have the key in your inventory, so if you avoid doing that, you should be fine.  The Master Keys that allow you to drive police cars is pretty much default, so that shouldn't affect anything.  Reports of this seem to be vague, but the main cause seems to be replaying chapter 2 while your main save is in chapter 9 or 23.  Basically, if someone gives you a plot important key, DON'T REPLAY CHAPTERS UNTIL IT HAS SERVED ITS PURPOSE.

GAME FREEZE: Be careful about walking into Mission Targets (those green glowing circles that activate the end or beginning of a mission).  It's been known to cause the game to crash; if that happens, just try walking into it a different way, for example contacting it on foot instead of driving into it by car.  This usually frees it up.  I've had one experience driving into a mission target while York was talking, which froze the game, but other than that I've had no other game-breaking problems.

OTHER RESOURCES

Spoiler-Free Beginner's Guide (where the above text was taken)
    Walkthroughs and Guides
    Maps
    Sidequest help 

Also, play the game on EASY if you don't care about achievements, and don't read the Trading Card text.  Other than that, you should be good to go... Unless of course you watched the ERs, in which case you probably knew all this stuff already.  Good luck!  Zach and I salute you.

ORIGINAL OP

I hope I have your attention, 'cuz the plot is thickening!

Rising Star announced the newest release date for DP.  It is, according to their Twitter feed, OCTOBER 29, 2010.  Amazon has followed suit.  Put that in your Police Brand cigarettes and smoke it. 

Also, in a TGC podcast with Ignition's Shane Bettenhausen, he revealed that he and SWERY are very excited and would jump at the chance of a DP... prequel?  That's what it sounds like, anyway.  SWERY discussion takes place at around the 19:30 minute mark.  There's not that much content actually, just means that given half the chance, we'll get another whole game starring Agent York someday.  

All I got for now.  Thanks to those who've been stopping by the two DP fansites in existence; they have their own threads so I won't bother linking to them here, just wanted to let you all know I (and I'm assuming chemi_ro) appreciate it!  Now let the rampant speculation of what a DP prequel might entail begin (it was probably a bad idea to mix the UK releae date and prequel rumors together in the same thread, but I'm assuming y'all know how to use spoiler tags.  And if you're really paranoid... Just read this OP and hole yourself up in a closet until October.  It'll be worth it!)
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

OH FUUUUUUUU

That sounds pretty cool. I wonder what we'd see in a prequel.

Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Animagess

I know, right?

There's already a lot of speculation out there, but a popular idea seems to be

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187

It's too bad that Swery is super secretive when it comes to what he's working on.  People ask him all the time about the European release date...which has been confirmed at this point...and he still says "I don't know if it's actually coming out in Europe, hopefully that will happen".

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By thehexeditor

I just FKed into my coffee.

Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Animagess
    @jakob187 said:
    " It's too bad that Swery is super secretive when it comes to what he's working on.  People ask him all the time about the European release date...which has been confirmed at this point...and he still says "I don't know if it's actually coming out in Europe, hopefully that will happen". "
    I don't think he's that secretive, he genuinely doesn't seem to know what's going on half the time.  I think maybe he's either been having a bitch of a time after dealing with the whole Lynch legal incident (if that's what actually happened) and now just doesn't feel like he should say anything definite without the publisher's say-so, or it could just be that old Japanese vagueness coming into play.

At any rate, most of the questions people ask him really should be directed at the publishers, not the devs, but it is weird that his knowledge of what's going on with his game seems to flicker on and off like a light switch.  But that's why we love him.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Oh yeah. Release date was finally confirmed last week for me with my preorder <3

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Raymayne

I want to know more of the case with the dude who kept skulls as urine cups.

NeoGecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By NeoGecko

Deadly Premonition: Fire Run With Me

thehexeditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By thehexeditor
    @Raymayne: 

I can tell you all about that phase of my life.
    Just uh, PM me.
    MisterMouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By MisterMouse

I feel like the prequel would just work with the other murders he dealt with that had that same tree blood marks... But we already know enough about that so it wouldnt be that...

illmatic19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By illmatic19

Inb4 ER.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @Animagess said:
    " I know, right?

There's already a lot of speculation out there, but a popular idea seems to be
    "
    Woah, I don't even remember that part of the game. I should get around to re-playing it some time.

If this game improves the camera and the shooting, It will be amazing. More importantly though, I hope they add a bit more background music during the free-roaming parts, because the lack of variety in the soundtrack during those parts was my biggest gripe with the game.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By JJOR64

It looks like I need to pick up DP sometime soon.

@illmatic19 said:

" Inb4 ER. "

LOLOLOLOLOLLOLOOLOOLOLOOOOOOOLLLLLLL
    Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Animagess
    @illmatic19 said:

" Inb4 ER. "

Are you referring to the possibility of a DP2 ER, or the fact that in every thread there's some guy who thinks the only reason people are interested in this game is because of the Endurance Runs?

I'd be up for a DP2 run, though.  Get ready for more combat pain, though, 'cuz SWERY said he wasn't going to "turn the game into another shooter by making it super easy to control" (although there are a lot of things he would change, technically).  Which I assume means keeping to some kind of limited survival horror control scheme.  OR, with any luck, leaving the combat out altogether!  (I didn't have a huge problem with the controls, but I hate shooting things.)

@ FancySoapsMan It's the very beginning when York's driving.  It's how he got the scratches on his cheek.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mutha3
    @illmatic19 said:
    " Inb4 ER. "
    Ain't happening,  going by the rule they set up in the podcast where they said ''no more Atlus ER's''
    TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By TylDurden
    @Animagess said:
     Get ready for more combat pain, though, 'cuz SWERY said he wasn't going to "turn the game into another shooter by making it super easy to control" (although there are a lot of things he would change, technically).  Which I assume means keeping to some kind of limited survival horror control scheme.  OR, with any luck, leaving the combat out altogether!  (I didn't have a huge problem with the controls, but I hate shooting things.) 

I'm gonna say it in the other thread and I'll say it here. I would not have liked this game without he combat. The combat was not superb by any stretch of the imagination but neither was the exploration but together they made a superb game. I often got bored of bs'ing in the town and loved what SWERY did with the combat scenarios. I realize his initial intention was to not have combat but when the big wigs ordered it he didn't half ass it. He gave it every bit of attention and feel as the rest of the game.
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By xyzygy

Is this for PS3 and 360?

Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Animagess
    @TylDurden said:
    " @Animagess said:
     Get ready for more combat pain, though, 'cuz SWERY said he wasn't going to "turn the game into another shooter by making it super easy to control" (although there are a lot of things he would change, technically).  Which I assume means keeping to some kind of limited survival horror control scheme.  OR, with any luck, leaving the combat out altogether!  (I didn't have a huge problem with the controls, but I hate shooting things.) 
    I'm gonna say it in the other thread and I'll say it here. I would not have liked this game without he combat. The combat was not superb by any stretch of the imagination but neither was the exploration but together they made a superb game. I often got bored of bs'ing in the town and loved what SWERY did with the combat scenarios. I realize his initial intention was to not have combat but when the big wigs ordered it he didn't half ass it. He gave it every bit of attention and feel as the rest of the game. "
    I know, I'm just not a big combat person.  You're right, though, having something to break up the open world sections is probably a good idea.  I haven't played a lot of survival horror games but I think I'd enjoy them because it gives me an excuse as to why I suck so terribly at killing things (I'm a horror author, not a fighter!  Don't hit meeee).

Don't worry though, I'm sure taking out the combat completely would be a bit of a stretch, even for someone as crazy as SWERY.  Maybe the next time he'll be able to work it out on his own terms- although I wonder if there was any combat in the first scenario of the game, where it was more of an urban forensics story a la CSI?
    TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TylDurden

Ah man you GOTTA play the Silent Hills, RE4 wouldn't kill ya either. RE5 aint that good though. You missed out on some of the throw backs to these Survival Horror games in DP than didn't you. Aw man they were great.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FancySoapsMan

The least they could do is not put the camera so close to the character, it makes impossible to see items on the ground.

TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TylDurden
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    "The least they could do is not put the camera so close to the character, it makes impossible to see items on the ground. "

what items on the ground are you looking for, its exactly like RE4 in the camera and combat controls most items are on top of stuff and any items characters drop when they die have enough light effects around them you can't miss them, you move forward until an icon comes up telling you to pick it up.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @thehexeditor said:
    " I just FKed into my coffee. "
    xD 

It would be cool to see all the background of York's previous seed investigations. It would have to be really well done though to make anyone care knowing what we know about the original game.
    TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By TylDurden

This may be sacriligeous but I don't want a Deadly Premonition 2. It won't have the backstory and resolution DP1 does. I would much prefer and equally impressive new game by SWERY. Team Ico keeps nailing it with new IP's, why have sequels when you can have entirely new great projects. I'm afraid anything might taint the image of York, remember, less is more.
    Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Animagess

@TylDurden said:

" Ah man you GOTTA play the Silent Hills, RE4 wouldn't kill ya either. RE5 aint that good though. You missed out on some of the throw backs to these Survival Horror games in DP than didn't you. Aw man they were great. "

Soon as my friend's PS2 comes in. 

Yeah, it seems the survival horror fans had far less trouble with this game than the first-person-shooter players, but it's nice to see all sorts of people giving it a shot.
    TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TylDurden

Silent Hill Homecoming is on 360 and PS3. I really liked it but wouldn't call it the best of the series. 

I'm REALLY surprised at how many people complained about DP's controls as if they never played RE4 and if they haven't than I seriously wonder what made them even want to play DP. RE4 won GOTY 3 seperate years in a row by many different outlets as it was rereleased on 3 different consoles each of those years. Cube, PS2, and Wii, getting almost flawless reviews each time, than when DP came out people were surprised at the mechanic of shooting with "A" and aiming with the left analog stick.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Zithe
    @mutha3 said:
    " @illmatic19 said:
    " Inb4 ER. "
    Ain't happening,  going by the rule they set up in the podcast where they said ''no more Atlus ER's'' "
    Huh? I must have read your message the wrong way. Deadly Premonition is not an Atlus game in any way is it?

Also, I fear that a second game wouldn't be able to bring the same charm that the original did. I just hope the developers don't try too hard to recreate the crazy they already made.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mutha3
    @Zithe said:

" @mutha3 said:

" @illmatic19 said:
    " Inb4 ER. "
    Ain't happening,  going by the rule they set up in the podcast where they said ''no more Atlus ER's'' "
    Huh? I must have read your message the wrong way. Deadly Premonition is not an Atlus game in any way is it?
    Their reasoning for not doing another Atlus ER. It applies to Deadly Premonition as well.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zithe
    @mutha3 said:
    Their reasoning for not doing an Atlus ER. It applies to Deadly Premonition as well. "
    Oh that makes sense. I honestly think it would probably boost sales more than it would hurt them, though. But I understand why they'd take that stance.
    TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TylDurden

what stance? I listen to the podcast and don't remember them discussing ER's. Why won't they do Atlus games?
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mutha3
    @TylDurden said:
    " what stance? I listen to the podcast and don't remember them discussing ER's. Why won't they do Atlus games? "
    Because they've already done a Atlus ER. The direct quote of the podcast I was referring to was: "We're not in the business of spoiling Atlus games". Basically, its kind of exploitative.

I also remember them saying that sequels are a no go for any possible future ER. When/whatever the ER will be, it won't be P5 or DP2
    TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TylDurden

Hm, makes sense.
    jos4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jos4

Oh man, where's the petition I need to sign in order to secure a prequel? SWERY deserves another chance, and we deserve a second DP!!

CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CaptainObvious

GET HYPE!!!!!!!

Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Animagess
    @Zithe said:
      Also, I fear that a second game wouldn't be able to bring the same charm that the original did. I just hope the developers don't try too hard to recreate the crazy they already made. "
    SWERY (from his Twitter and what I've heard from people who've worked with him) is apparently the nicest, most humble, hard-working lunatic ever, so I think it was pretty natural for him to put something like DP together.  I think his creative process is something that comes pretty naturally to him so there's a good chance a pr/sequel won't feel artificial.  Maybe we'll get that "urban exploration" game that DP used to be even before it became Rainy Woods.  OOH!  Maybe we'll get to see York actually at FBI HQ, interacting with his "meddling boss" Bob Abrahams!
    Bumbuliuz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Bumbuliuz

I was a bit bummed they delayed the game some more here in Europe. I have been wanting to play this game since I saw some of the Endurance videos here at Giantbomb

Binbay55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Binbay55

This sounds pretty sweet. But they need to make a sequel! They didn't explain much at all  at the end in DP and althought the game doesn't isn't suppose to answer many questions. There were some that I felt NEEDED to be answered a bit more or at least touched on.  

Anyways....YAY!
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#38  Edited By alistercat

The Amazon price in the UK has gone down to £16.91, which is great news. A budget game just got even more budget. Considering it's coming out new, and the RRP is £25 that is a great price. I can't wait to play it.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#39  Edited By AndrewB

The only thing I wouldn't understand about a sequel is that, after your first combat in DP, Agent York mentions he's never been attacked that directly before. That leads me to believe he's never been to Zombie Town before that moment. The plot of a prequel would have to be really inventive or have to ignore that line completely.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ViciousReiven
    @mutha3 said:
    " @TylDurden said:
    " what stance? I listen to the podcast and don't remember them discussing ER's. Why won't they do Atlus games? "
    Because they've already done a Atlus ER. The direct quote of the podcast I was referring to was: "We're not in the business of spoiling Atlus games". Basically, its kind of exploitative. I also remember them saying that sequels are a no go for any possible future ER. When/whatever the ER will be, it won't be P5 or DP2 "
    Which is why we need an alternate universe device to allow us to see what it could have been like if they never did p4 or DP but did end up doing sequels :\
    Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Animagess
    @AndrewB said:
    " The only thing I wouldn't understand about a sequel is that, after your first combat in DP, Agent York mentions he's never been attacked that directly before. That leads me to believe he's never been to Zombie Town before that moment. The plot of a prequel would have to be really inventive or have to ignore that line completely. "
    He mentions lots of previous cases that don't seem to have anything to do with zombies, so maybe we'll get one of those.  800 rape victims, maybe?
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#42  Edited By AndrewB
    @Animagess said:
    " @AndrewB said:
    " The only thing I wouldn't understand about a sequel is that, after your first combat in DP, Agent York mentions he's never been attacked that directly before. That leads me to believe he's never been to Zombie Town before that moment. The plot of a prequel would have to be really inventive or have to ignore that line completely. "
    He mentions lots of previous cases that don't seem to have anything to do with zombies, so maybe we'll get one of those.  800 rape victims, maybe? "
    Well yeah, that's totally what they'll do. I'm just not sure who the bad guys are going to be. He can't just be chasing one single person, unless they want to make the whole game like one of those raincoat killer chasing sequences... 

It just seems kind of weird to start at a point where the craziness behind Agent "York" has been revealed and at least somewhat resolved, and then take a step backward to a case that doesn't hold as much impact. Of course, I'm sure they'll come up with something that does hold significance. And I'm totally not saying I don't want a sequel/prequel, because I'll buy it day one (and be slightly disappointed that there won't be an endurance run of it).
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ch3burashka

I don't think they should do it. Universes with self-contained stories lose their spark when revisited, especially when revisited from a similar angle. Some things just need to be left alone. SWERY should get started on a new game instead of holding onto DP.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By shirogane

His father's story maybe?
    Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#45  Edited By Brackynews
    @CH3BURASHKA:   
    I agree. But I'm easy either way. Especially if it is $20. (wut are the odds??)

@Shirogane:

Seems too far in to the past to make a whole game, but I'm sure they could expand on the flashbacks.  
    DP without York is no DP at all.

25 bucks says you have to drive between towns.  Like Desert Bus but with 45 minutes of monologue on Jack Arnold.
    Animagess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Animagess
    @ AndrewB  Oh, I see what you mean.  Well, the impetus behind a DP prequel would pretty much just be "more crazy adventures with Agent York" as SWERY put it, so it's possible it could be simply a whole other story that just happens to have York at the center of it all instead of trying to expand on the Red Seed Murders (although he might toss a reference or two in there).  Unless... And I'm wondering if SWERY will try to pull this off... He goes for the whole Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and makes DP2 a prequel AND a sequel due to weird temporal fluctuations and the surreal nature of the plot.

I too am a little torn between my love of self-contained stories and my love of York.  He really is too good a character to be confined to one story... You know, I think I'll be cool if they just make a game about his previous cases and don't refer to the red seeds at all.  People who have never played DP could probably enjoy it and then play the original game and find out even more stuff, and the DP fans can play DP2 while secretly knowing the reasons behind some things but simply going along for more of York's crazy antics.  DP was originally supposed to be a CSI-style forensics game set in the big city, so maybe we'll get a whole new setting too.

@Brackynews said:

25 bucks says you have to drive between towns.  Like Desert Bus but with 45 minutes of monologue on Jack Arnold. "

Ssssh, don't give SWERY any ideas... You totally know he'd do it, too.  (I would love it if he did but I don't think I could stand it being mentioned in every single review as if it somehow wasn't intentional.)
    Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#47  Edited By Urmean

Alright, so it would be a DP prequel, right?

But WUH-OH, the plot twist is it's actually a SEQUEL!

petitfool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By petitfool

I dunno whether or not the Giant Bomb crew can handle another DP game. Perhaps a quick look (or a quick look EX, in only my dreams), but most likely not a ER.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#49  Edited By Daveyo520

So was this what Agent York was talking about on twitter? Probably. I would like to see more adventures of Agent Francis York Morgan.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By Cincaid

Good stuff it's released in EU, even though I have no clue to why considering it didn't even sell over 100,000 copies in NA.

By that logic I wish they'd just release Culdcept Saga over here as well. :(

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.