Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Picked up the game and really likin it!

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Picked up Deadly Premonition, and yes it's got a lot of issues, but for 20 bucks I am really likin it. What are your thoughts?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#2  Edited By JJWeatherman

I think most people here would agree with you, including me. 

Great value for just 20 bones.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#3  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Yeah, it makes a pretty bad first impression, but once you get over the controls it's a great game.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By DrPockets000

The charm of this game is undeniable.  

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By JJOR64

I'm still debating on picking it up.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By FreakAche

All I know is that it's got this awesome song in it.

TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By TylDurden
    @PainGod89 said:
    " Picked up Deadly Premonition, and yes it's got a lot of issues, but for 20 bucks I am really likin it. What are your thoughts? "
    Its even better when you realize those aren't "issues" but instead unique design decisions that contribute to the feel of the game. Easily worth $60, let alone $20.
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Heartagram

I feel like just watching the guys play through it was frustrating. 

I was immensely happy they played through it for me because that gameplay just seems downright frustrating and boring.  

That said the storyline is pretty unique albeit absolutely insane.

Chemi_ro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Chemi_ro

I loved it myself once I got use to the controls. It's definitely become one on my top favorite games :)

TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By TylDurden
    @Heartagram said:
    " I feel like just watching the guys play through it was frustrating.   I was immensely happy they played through it for me because that gameplay just seems downright frustrating and boring.   That said the storyline is pretty unique albeit absolutely insane. "
    Watching them play through it was EXTREMELY frustrating. They were doing it wrong.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @TylDurden said:
    " @PainGod89 said:
    " Picked up Deadly Premonition, and yes it's got a lot of issues, but for 20 bucks I am really likin it. What are your thoughts? "
    Its even better when you realize those aren't "issues" but instead unique design decisions that contribute to the feel of the game. Easily worth $60, let alone $20. "
    Even the terrible controls and camera?
    TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By TylDurden
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    Even the terrible controls and camera? "
    Especially the uniquely awesome controls and camera.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @TylDurden said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    Even the terrible controls and camera? "
    Especially the uniquely awesome controls and camera. "
    D:
    beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#14  Edited By beargirl1

i'm glad you're enjoying it. it's charming, but that wasn't enough for me to enjoy it. nothing about it was fun at all, but i shouldn't have expected any less. 

TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TylDurden
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    Especially the uniquely awesome controls and camera. "D: "
    I used this example in another thread. Its like these pictures.
    No Caption Provided

much like David Lynch's works (which inspired DP) there are 2 ways to ingest it. You can either see it as bad, or see it as good. See the hag or the young lady. An interviewer of Lynch said it perfectly. After Lynchian screenings you could divide the audience in half and there would be 2 kinds of people, those who hated it and those who "got" it. DP is the same, there is a masterpiece to be had here, the trouble is seeing it. I would suggest watching at least 3 episodes of Twin Peaks or the movie Fire Walk With Me. They help you find the Young Lady, than when you see  you get why SWERY chose to go with such unique styles.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @TylDurden: It's ok, I saw your arguement in that other thead. And while I agree with you on most points (like the weird map for example) I don't think the controls were done that way on purpose or that they have some sort of artistic value. They're just bad controls.
    TylDurden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TylDurden
    @FancySoapsMan said:

" @TylDurden: It's ok, I saw your arguement in that other thead. And while I agree with you on most points (like the weird map for example) I don't think the controls were done that way on purpose or that they have some sort of artistic value. They're just bad controls. "

I see it as controls like that were done away with a long time ago (although RE4 used the exact same ones and nobody cried) so for SWERY to bring them back was a blatent throw back to earlier style Survival horror games, as well as there just to mess with you which is something Lynch is huge for, and since he was already going with a 90's TV drama feel of graphics it just goes hand in had to use a mildly retro style controls as well although like I said I had no problem with them as they were the same as RE4's shooting mechanic (not the entire game, people seem to be misunderstanding that I think the entire game is comparable to RE4 which I didn't like as much as most people in the first place) so I never once struggled with the controls. The lock on really helps. Its really an auto aim or "quick" aim. You press it once just to get a general bead on the zombie than move to where you want to shoot them. And I'm not sure which camera your referring to the only camera issues I had were when the car turned the camera was a little slow to follow making fast corners a little sketchy. I also thought the top down segments perfectly accompanied the controls and proved to me even more that it was an artistic decision. I only wish the entire game could optionally be played top down early resident evil style, must like MGS3 Subsistence gave you the 2 camera options.  Than go into over-the-shoulder view when you want to shoot, just like MGS3 went into first person view to shoot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.