Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Playing Deadly Premonition for myself...I've learned some things.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By SonicFire

Well, as if watching through two teams playing through Deadly Premonition wasn't enough, I decided I had to try this for myself. It was the same sort of thing that happened with Persona 4 last year: I wanted the game played differently, so I had to get to it. Well, a couple days later, and I'm about 60% through the game (a couple chapters past Brad and Ryan, as of this writing). For all the technical problems this game, it is strangely compelling. While the execution is poor, the overall concept - a semi-real-time, open-world, horror themed mystery - is surprisingly unique. The game is far more ambitious than its budget would suggest, and I can safely say that I've played nothing like it. These days, that's saying a lot, as we can classify almost all releases by what they're either "ripping off" or "paying homage" to. 

All that said, there are some things I learned very quickly, which helped me understand some of the difficulties that the guys are having with this game. There's also some tasks that would make both the endurance run (and their own experiences) much better, and more efficient. I'm sure others on the boards would echo this, but here are some of the major points. 

1) This game controls poorly, that is, worse than you even think coming in. The controls are most reminiscent of Resident Evil 2, or thereabouts. While yes, the relative helplessness you feel does add to the tension, the reality is that combat is tough by virtue of terrible controls. Like many Japanese games, Deadly Premonition ignores the control conventions that have been established for action games on the 360 (for example, left trigger to raise gun, right stick to aim) and goes with something else altogether. So while it may look like an over-the-shoulder RE4 knockoff, it doesn't play nearly as well. 

2) The driving is even worse. Even the best cars in the game still control like a terrible port of crazy taxi, or maybe something from the PS1 era. In fact, the standard issue police cars veer in different directions on their own, so that you're literally fighting to keep the cars straight. 

3) The vocal/audio mix in the game is as scattershot and random as it seems to be on the videos. 

4) There are 50 side quests in the game, and almost all are monotonous. However, the rewards they bring make the game far more playable. But trying to get a specific task done is challenging, as it depends on whether it's raining, who's involved, and what time of day it is. Some other elements are random. The end result is that you may need to sleep for consecutive days to get the weather/situation you want to occur. 

5) There is a fast travel, it's unlocked through a very easy sidequest (this more than anything would help the playthroughs) 

6) You can skip almost every single scene in the game by pressing start...as well as every basic animation.  

7) Despite the poor visuals, the game does have some freaky/scary moments, though the guys have not gotten there yet.  On that note, do not be out and about at midnight in Greenvale, as some messed up stuff tends to happen...particularly in the graveyard.

8) The "time limits" are not binding, at least not most of them. If you miss the time, you can just try again the next day without penalty.  

I'm sure the GB community has made these comments many times over. But personally, I'm just learning more about what the guys are up against here. I'm not one to tell them that they're playing it "right" or "wrong," but there are certain ways they could improve their own experience. But for all the commenters talking about how much the guys "suck" at playing: this game controls like a can of busted ass... you're never going to feel like a pro at it. 

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SonicFire

Well, as if watching through two teams playing through Deadly Premonition wasn't enough, I decided I had to try this for myself. It was the same sort of thing that happened with Persona 4 last year: I wanted the game played differently, so I had to get to it. Well, a couple days later, and I'm about 60% through the game (a couple chapters past Brad and Ryan, as of this writing). For all the technical problems this game, it is strangely compelling. While the execution is poor, the overall concept - a semi-real-time, open-world, horror themed mystery - is surprisingly unique. The game is far more ambitious than its budget would suggest, and I can safely say that I've played nothing like it. These days, that's saying a lot, as we can classify almost all releases by what they're either "ripping off" or "paying homage" to. 

All that said, there are some things I learned very quickly, which helped me understand some of the difficulties that the guys are having with this game. There's also some tasks that would make both the endurance run (and their own experiences) much better, and more efficient. I'm sure others on the boards would echo this, but here are some of the major points. 

1) This game controls poorly, that is, worse than you even think coming in. The controls are most reminiscent of Resident Evil 2, or thereabouts. While yes, the relative helplessness you feel does add to the tension, the reality is that combat is tough by virtue of terrible controls. Like many Japanese games, Deadly Premonition ignores the control conventions that have been established for action games on the 360 (for example, left trigger to raise gun, right stick to aim) and goes with something else altogether. So while it may look like an over-the-shoulder RE4 knockoff, it doesn't play nearly as well. 

2) The driving is even worse. Even the best cars in the game still control like a terrible port of crazy taxi, or maybe something from the PS1 era. In fact, the standard issue police cars veer in different directions on their own, so that you're literally fighting to keep the cars straight. 

3) The vocal/audio mix in the game is as scattershot and random as it seems to be on the videos. 

4) There are 50 side quests in the game, and almost all are monotonous. However, the rewards they bring make the game far more playable. But trying to get a specific task done is challenging, as it depends on whether it's raining, who's involved, and what time of day it is. Some other elements are random. The end result is that you may need to sleep for consecutive days to get the weather/situation you want to occur. 

5) There is a fast travel, it's unlocked through a very easy sidequest (this more than anything would help the playthroughs) 

6) You can skip almost every single scene in the game by pressing start...as well as every basic animation.  

7) Despite the poor visuals, the game does have some freaky/scary moments, though the guys have not gotten there yet.  On that note, do not be out and about at midnight in Greenvale, as some messed up stuff tends to happen...particularly in the graveyard.

8) The "time limits" are not binding, at least not most of them. If you miss the time, you can just try again the next day without penalty.  

I'm sure the GB community has made these comments many times over. But personally, I'm just learning more about what the guys are up against here. I'm not one to tell them that they're playing it "right" or "wrong," but there are certain ways they could improve their own experience. But for all the commenters talking about how much the guys "suck" at playing: this game controls like a can of busted ass... you're never going to feel like a pro at it. 

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Good to know.

Urmean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Urmean
    @SonicFire said:

" On that note, do not be out and about at midnight in Greenvale, as some messed up stuff tends to happen...particularly in the graveyard.  "

I'M INTERESTED
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By jakob187
    @SonicFire said:
    " On that note, do not be out and about at midnight in Greenvale, as some messed up stuff tends to happen...particularly in the graveyard."
    You know that Forbidden Fruit Rule? 

I'm wanting to partake in some fucking-up shit happening after midnight in Greenvale's graveyard.
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SonicFire
    @Urmean:  

Yeah, the game hasn't explained this...but without spoiling much of anything, the sky turns blood red and monsters start appearing everywhere, including some unique ones. Let's just say the first time I woke up at midnight I was pretty freaked out (didn't see it coming).
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SonicFire
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By jakob187
    @SonicFire: Oh yeah?  Goddammit, why haven't I bought this game yet? 

That's right - I keep saving up to get an apartment and fix my car.  Stupid real life!!!
    SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SonicFire
    @jakob187:  
    Well...on the bright side, only 20 bones...but totally worth it. I'm really loving the game

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.