Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Quick question to Those that own Deadly Premonition

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By striderno9

I just ordered this from Amazon, and it came in today, the box art seems fine but the back of the box is in english and french I believe, even the bullet points for the game, like number of players, and whatever is doubled in english and french, anyone else got this or did I get a bootleg?

keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By keyhunter
    @StriderNo9 said:

" I just ordered this from Amazon, and it came in today, the box art seems fine but the back of the box is in english and french I believe, even the bullet points for the game, like number of players, and whatever is doubled in english and french, anyone else got this or did I get a bootleg? "

You got a Canadian copy. All Canadian games do this.
    Jayross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Jayross
    @keyhunter
    @StriderNo9 said:
    " I just ordered this from Amazon, and it came in today, the box art seems fine but the back of the box is in english and french I believe, even the bullet points for the game, like number of players, and whatever is doubled in english and french, anyone else got this or did I get a bootleg? "
    You got a Canadian copy, obviously.
    Avatar image for mustachioeugene
    mustachioeugene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By mustachioeugene

A friend of mine used to work for a design/print house just east of Toronto, his job as a designer was to design the bi-lingual sleeves, and the french-only manuals.  they would receive early copy for the manuals, their in house translation team would put the game in French and he would have to work with specific fonts and layouts that the publishers wanted.   

Just another small aspect of the games industry you don't really think about.

AgentofChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By AgentofChaos

A lot of games do this now. Like a lot of the nintendo games, but more companies have started doing this now. Really if the instruction booklet is in English its all good.

infininja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By infininja

I think my copy of Enslaved is like this.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By JJWeatherman

My american copy has it too. They do it sometimes. Same thing on RB3's box.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By cornbredx

I live in America, it has French and English doubled on it as well. Depends on the game whether or not they do this, I assume because of the large population of French Speakers in English speaking territories? I dont know, you could probably say the same for spanish but they dont generally double up with spanish language, and you see this most with french. There have been other games with this as well for a long time.

I always wondered why, but I really don't know why. I just speculate.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By MikkaQ
    @CornBREDX said:
    " I live in America, it has French and English doubled on it as well. Depends on the game whether or not they do this, I assume because of the large population of French Speakers in English speaking territories? I dont know, you could probably say the same for spanish but they dont generally double up with spanish language, and you see this most with french. There have been other games with this as well for a long time.  I always wondered why, but I really don't know why. I just speculate. "
    Cause Canada has a French province in it, and sometimes they'll probably get lazy and not make an english US only one. But I'm pretty sure in canada it's a law to have things printed bi-lingually because virtually anything you buy is labeled in both. 
    cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cornbredx
    @XII_Sniper:  I do know about the French province of Canada.

The rest though makes sense. That would explain why those same games always have canadian ratings on them, or at least what I assume is a canadian rating.

I would speculate, this is probably done to lower costs for distribution in both America and Canada as they could just ship them both the exact same thing. That makes sense.

Thanks. =)
    pekoe212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By pekoe212
    @CornBREDX said:
    " @XII_Sniper:  I do know about the French province of Canada.  The rest though makes sense. That would explain why those same games always have canadian ratings on them, or at least what I assume is a canadian rating.  I would speculate, this is probably done to lower costs for distribution in both America and Canada as they could just ship them both the exact same thing. That makes sense.  Thanks. =) "
    Yes, there are certain publishers that make a single version of a game for all North America, like every NIS game I get has English and French on the case and in the manual. They really care about Quebec.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.