So I had some custom Deadly Premonition playing cards made...

#1 Edited by Seroth (718 posts) -

I designed these with what few "high-res" assets I could find. Then I had a custom gift company in Hong Kong make them into actual playing cards. Took forever for them to get here, but I thought they turned out pretty well. :P 

(Larger images here:    
http://imgur.com/Ce8G9.png http://imgur.com/Wr9uh.png )
#2 Posted by elko84 (1068 posts) -

Nice man!  Looks good.

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -

Awesome! 

Oh no, idea: Giant Bomb crew playing cards!

#4 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

That's pretty rad. I would play Crazy Eights all the time with those.

#5 Posted by CaptainObvious (2998 posts) -

Gnarly.

#6 Posted by Castro (951 posts) -

Dude, that's badass.

#7 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -
@JJWeatherman said:
" Awesome!  Oh no, idea: Giant Bomb crew playing cards! "

#8 Posted by dudeglove (7832 posts) -

Aww... would it not be better to have York & Zach on the Ace instead?

Other than that, that's pretty cool.

#9 Posted by Darksaw (315 posts) -

Amazing. Great. Nice job.

#10 Posted by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@Jack268 said:
" @JJWeatherman said:
" Awesome!  Oh no, idea: Giant Bomb crew playing cards! "

"
lol. nice pic.
#11 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

Those are cool but I couldn't play anything with them. I only like playing with plain decks.

#12 Posted by GrandpaJelly (207 posts) -

Awesome. Did you show it to Swery? I would :p

#13 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5144 posts) -

Send them to the GB crew I bet they would love them.

#14 Posted by Brackynews (4082 posts) -

No Ushah? I is disappoint, son.
Anyway, uh, how many sets did you have them produce??

#15 Posted by Gamer_152 (14077 posts) -

Wow, those are awesome.

#16 Posted by AlisterCat (5559 posts) -

Nice job. They look really good.

#17 Posted by Jadeskye (4367 posts) -
@Seroth said:
"
I designed these with what few "high-res" assets I could find. Then I had a custom gift company in Hong Kong make them into actual playing cards. Took forever for them to get here, but I thought they turned out pretty well. :P 

(Larger images here:    
http://imgur.com/Ce8G9.png http://imgur.com/Wr9uh.png ) "
thats pretty awesome. I bet the GB crew would love a set of those.
#18 Posted by Seroth (718 posts) -
@Brackynews said:
" No Ushah? I is disappoint, son. Anyway, uh, how many sets did you have them produce?? "
Only one set for now. It cost like 10 dollars with free shipping just for one deck. I'd love to send something like this to Giant Bomb. We'll see if I can do something more special for my personal Game of the Year 2010. :P
#19 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -

I need to piece together a collection of DP links.  There's so much cool stuff being done out there that I've found completely by accident that most people have never heard of... You should definitely show SWERY these on Twitter, he loves fan-made things.  Someone sent him a couple of DP t-shirts that were pretty rad; this definitely seems like something he'd enjoy.  Amazing!

And yeah, I'm thinking of doing a GOTY In The Coffee poster campaign in time for the end of the year awards from the mainstream gaming outlets.  I don't think DP is going to actually win anything, but it would be so cool if it got some kind of Honorable Mention for being... well... whatever it is that DP is.  We're definitely not the only ones who see it as their personal GOTY.

#20 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -

hell yeah

#21 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -

NICE!

#22 Posted by armaan8014 (5404 posts) -
@Animagess:  How do I contact him? I made a video tribute to York and Emiloy, but Twitter sucks so I dunno whether he got it.
#23 Posted by FlamingHobo (4483 posts) -

I didn't watch much of the DP Endurance Run but those cards are really nice. I wouldn't mind a deck for myself.

#24 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -
@armaan8014: Twitter does suck but he definitely responded to one of my Tweets so it must work.  He follows pretty much anyone who follows him so you could send him a Direct Message, but I'm pretty sure the one of mine he responded to was just me adding @Swery65 to the beginning of my message.  Good luck!
#25 Posted by Marmaladebrat (298 posts) -

That's pretty neat. Where was the site where you had those done?

#26 Posted by Seroth (718 posts) -
@Marmaladebrat: artscow.com
#27 Posted by Rapid (1367 posts) -

wow that's neat

#28 Edited by Raven_Sword (3447 posts) -
@JJWeatherman:

... who would be the queen?
#29 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -

Badass. Now let's see some made for a game that people actually care about.

#30 Edited by Rapid (1367 posts) -
@Raven_Sword said:

" @JJWeatherman: ... whos would be the queen? "

argwh lol I just pictured cross dressed -thomas as the queen =.=
#31 Posted by ch3burashka (5067 posts) -

I thought you meant you printed out the game cards and crudely glued them onto your extra Magic cards, but damn was I wrong. Please mass-produce these; I happen to have twenty-nine dollars and ninety-nine cents just lyin' around...

#32 Posted by AlisterCat (5559 posts) -
#33 Posted by Mercator (365 posts) -

I have used Artscow.com and they are nice but if you plan to order keep in mind that there are coupon codes all over the web...and on the main page of their site that generally take a few bucks off each deck AND eliminate shipping which makes decks as cheap as 5 bucks shipped. It takes rougly 3 weeks to get orders completed. 

Being a board gamer i use them often to make custom decks for board games etc.

Nice cards.

#34 Edited by Animagess (157 posts) -

So those photos are pretty much all the characters represented that you had printed?

@sodiumCyclops

said:

" Badass. Now let's see some made for a game that people actually care about. "

Did you come all the way to the DP forums to enlighten us with your little insight?  Gamers sure seem to take an awful lot of interest in making sure people aren't enjoying themselves TOO much.
#35 Posted by Mikewrestler5 (602 posts) -
@Jack268:  

What an amazing picture that is!
#36 Posted by Devil240Z (3350 posts) -

where did you go to have them made? I totally want to make some crazy custom cards!

#37 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -
@Devil240Z:  He mentioned the site:  artscow.com
#38 Posted by sodiumCyclops (2644 posts) -
@Animagess said:

" So those photos are pretty much all the characters represented that you had printed?

@sodiumCyclops

said:

" Badass. Now let's see some made for a game that people actually care about. "

Did you come all the way to the DP forums to enlighten us with your little insight?  Gamers sure seem to take an awful lot of interest in making sure people aren't enjoying themselves TOO much. "
Not really, I just think it's hilarious  that people got obsessed by a game purely because the GB crew thought it was 'funny'.
#39 Posted by Animagess (157 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops said: 
What makes you think we're interested in it just because of the GB crew?  I heard of DP from a little-known gaming podcast called Top Down Perspective, not GB.  I played it before I watched the ERs.  Prior to DP I had no reason to come to this site.  I don't understand why so many people have such a hard time accepting that some people genuinely like the game, and not because it's "so bad it's hilarious".  By now there are plenty of articles and reviews about the game that praise it for non-ironic reasons, so I'm not sure why this misconception continues to persist on these boards.

It's totally possible to have a good time just laughing at the game.  I happen to think there's a lot more to it than that, but I'm not going to judge someone if all they want to do is mock it.  Just don't act so baffled and try to pass it off as "it's just because of GB" when others express genuine affection for it.
#40 Posted by AlisterCat (5559 posts) -
@sodiumCyclops:  Heaven forbid people have genuine interest in a game that isn't conventionally popular. It just happens that the game got extra exposure due to sites like Giant Bomb and I like it... as I'm sure many other people posting. I probbably wouldn't have heard of it otherwise but that doesn't really matter. Does it?
#41 Posted by Agent_Eli (138 posts) -

Yo, Your cards are up in a quick look. It truly truly made my day. How do i give you money, so I can too find out who the king is?

#42 Edited by beej (1674 posts) -
@Animagess:  have you informed Swery about this? Someone has to let that man know! I speak too soon! someone already told him!
#43 Posted by AzHP (156 posts) -

Bringing back an ancient topic, but dude your cards got seen by Swery. That's got to have made your day.

#44 Posted by kevinski (456 posts) -

Oh, wow...these are the same cards? Swery LOVED them.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.