So which Endurance Run is better? VJ or BR

#1 Edited by supaman900s (186 posts) -

I watched the entire VJ endurance run of Deadly Premonition. I chose the VJ series pretty much at random because I was very new to the site and was not familiar with who each of the four main editors even were at the time and then just stuck with the VJ one as it was fulfilling my entertainment needs... Now that I have become very familiar with each of the four main editors I have thought about going back and watching the BR Endurance Run to see how they compared, but finishing the VJ one was such a time suck that took me many months to finish. The other thing I have been thinking about doing is going back and watching the Persona Endurance Run as it seems to be very highly recommended by many people on the site, some even saying it blows the Deadly Premonition Endurance Run out of the water... 

#2 Posted by DaemonBlack (342 posts) -

Persona ER > Deadly Premonition ER imo

#3 Posted by DeeGee (2121 posts) -

VJ was the best, I thought.

The problem with Brad and Ryan's version was that it took them so long to get onboard with the game and have any fun with it. Their commentary for the most part was bitter and sarcastic, which is amusing but a very different style then how Jeff and Vinny joke about things.

#4 Posted by Cube (4366 posts) -

VJ.  Vinny and Jeff have a certain chemistry they've had time to build on with Persona 4. BR honestly sounded like, "We're supposed to make jokes because that's how Vinny and Jeff do it, so we're making some jokes".

#5 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@DaemonBlack said:
" Persona ER > Deadly Premonition ER imo "
Yeah. DP ER just wasn't that entertaining.
#6 Posted by ajamafalous (11959 posts) -

P4

#8 Posted by MackGyver (545 posts) -

They're both good, but overall, I prefer Vinny and Jeff's commentary. Brad and Ryan have their moments but not as many.

#9 Posted by The_Hiro_Abides (1261 posts) -

Overall I prefer the VJ one, but they both are painful to watch at the wall lady part. More so on the BR one since that section takes up like 3 episodes.

#10 Posted by Slaker117 (4838 posts) -

I know popular opinion says VJ, but I favored BR myself. Not really sure why, I couldn't give you actual reasons, but it endeared Brad to me somehow. Maybe it was just hearing that beautiful voice so much...

That has to be it, because watching him play can be downright painful at times. Like all of it. You should know that going in, but it makes it fun in a special way.

#11 Posted by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:
"   That has to be it, because watching him play can be downright painful at times. Like all of it.
Vinny isn't THAT much better to be honest. While he dies a lot less than brad, watching him inch forward through corridors at half the pace of a snail does is not much better than watching Brad die 5 times in a row to a boss.
#12 Posted by Slaker117 (4838 posts) -
@mutha3:  The thing is Brad takes so long to adapt. It's easier for me to watch someone taking it slow then someone making the same mistakes repeatedly. Not that I didn't love both in their own way for the horrible play though. I think the overall abrasiveness of the whole affair is part of it's charm.
#13 Posted by Yummylee (21506 posts) -

I haven't watched either for the DP ER, but this is the type of game where Brad surely could not contain his ''THAT'S CRAZY!'' phrase habit within every sentence (even though this time it is more deserved), so I'd bet I'd prefer VJ's by a fairly large margin.

#14 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@supaman900s: If you thought the DP endurance run was a timesink, P4 is insane. It's a much longer game, though it could very well be a better ER. I haven't watched the P4 ER because I find JRPGs unwatchable. I say go with the BR endurance run of Deadly Premonition for some sweet schadenfreude. 
#15 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Both equally. I just wish the teams were VR and BJ.

#16 Posted by Crushed (884 posts) -

VJ's was a lot better. Brad and Ryan had their moments, but it was pretty painful watching Brad play at times.

Vinny/Jeff final stats

Brad/Ryan final stats
#17 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Slaker117 said:

" @mutha3:  The thing is Brad takes so long to adapt. It's easier for me to watch someone taking it slow then someone making the same mistakes repeatedly. Not that I didn't love both in their own way for the horrible play though. I think the overall abrasiveness of the whole affair is part of it's charm. "

I know, I know....But Vinny takes it REALLY slow.

Like,

you could finish an entire dungeon by the time he walks through a corridor.

Even if Brad dies a lot, at least he makes progress while he's alive. The BR run would have also ended with two less hours even WITH all of Brad's death if he didn't have to restart the final boss three times.

@owl_of_minerva

said:

" @supaman900s:I haven't watched the P4 ER because I find JRPGs unwatchable. 

A lot of the GB community felt the same thing, before they tried! Just sayin'. I'd at least try out a couple of episodes if I were you.

@Crushed:
You have to keep in mind that 1-2 of those hours with BR was added in their terrible struggle against the last boss. 

And I dunno, I felt the last 20% of BR was way more watchable. VJ just sounded.......irritated.
#18 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -

P4, your not a member of the site until you watch it.

#19 Edited by Crushed (884 posts) -

Yes, the P4 ER is better too, though I think that a big part of that is that they were more into P4. DP has a lot of side missions and optional dialogue (it's one of the bigger parts of its charm) and urges the player to stop rushing through story missions and just sit back and explore Greenvale and talk to people, and neither team really did that because they wanted to get the game over with.

@Crushed: You have to keep in mind that 1-2 of those hours with BR was added in their terrible struggle against the last boss.   And I dunno, I felt the last 20% of BR was way more watchable. VJ just sounded.......irritated. "

Yeah, that's true. They were kinda the same way at the end of the P4 ER. Even when crazy stuff was happening, they just sounded tired and kept going, "Yeah, well" and "Huh." In comparison, BR seemed to have more energy.
#20 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Crushed said:

" Yes, the P4 ER is better too, though I think that a big part of that is that they were more into P4. DP has a lot of sidemissions and urges the player to stop rushing through story missions and just sit back and explore Greenvale and talk to people, and neither team really did that because they wanted to get the game over with. "

If I remember correctly, VJ recorded the last 15 episodes in one sitting. 

But, yeah, DP is an awesome, awesome game. And I don't feel they did it justice with these runs. The made the game look way more tedious, unlikeable and all-around less charming than it really is.

If you're going to be watching a playthough of it....I feel this one: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFpYKx9m3NU

Is highly preferable to ER season 2.
  @Crushed said:

Yeah, that's true. They were kinda the same way at the end of the P4 ER. Even when crazy stuff was happening, they just sounded tired and kept going, "Yeah, well" and "Huh." In comparison, BR seemed to have more energy. "

I'd say episode 140-150 was that way, yeah, but when they got to the end they got into it again just in time for the grand finale. DP, though......was this:

*sigh*
"okay"
"that was dumb"
#21 Posted by owl_of_minerva (1455 posts) -
@mutha3: I think I might have watched the first half dozen videos of P4. From what I saw I found the humour superior to the Deadly Premonition ERs but I had already beaten the game at that point and the prospect of watching 150 videos in a row was too much. I might try again later, if the need for an LP arises.
#22 Posted by Kyreo (4600 posts) -
@DaemonBlack said:
" Persona ER > Deadly Premonition ER imo "
No... that's a fact, not an opinion.
#23 Posted by Crushed (884 posts) -

HIGH-FIVE, supergreatfriend's LP is awesome. There was so much stuff in there you'd never even know existed if you just watched one of the ERs.

#24 Posted by Lobster_Ear (285 posts) -

I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed the DP ER more than the P4 ER. The P4 ER was waaay too long and there were SO MANY boring episodes where all they did was grind dungeons only to be killed and have to start all over on the next episode. Don't get me wrong, it was hilarious when they were watching the story unfold, but when they actually played the game it was so dull. DP on the other hand was always entertaining and it was easier to get through since it was only 1/5th the length of the P4 endurance run.

#25 Posted by Sayishere (1840 posts) -

I still need to watch the deadly premonition ER, the only one i have watched is the persona one, and i must admit it was the best thing i have watched, to this date, VJ just flow of each very well, different playstyles etc 

#26 Edited by mutha3 (4985 posts) -
@Lobster_Ear said:

" I guess I'm the only one who enjoyed the DP ER more than the P4 ER. The P4 ER was waaay too long and there were SO MANY boring episodes where all they did was grind dungeons only to be killed and have to start all over on the next episode. Don't get me wrong, it was hilarious when they were watching the story unfold, but when they actually played the game it was so dull. DP on the other hand was always entertaining and it was easier to get through since it was only 1/5th the length of the P4 endurance run. "

You enjoyed watching Brad fire at enemies with the weakest, most boring gun in the game....dieing 20 times in a row before managing to progress to the next room while the only "commentary" going on is variations of sighing and groaning? And you know, as much as I love DP, dungeon and enemy design is not its strong point. At least you were fighting space dolphins in a strip club in Persona 4 with a(awesome) cheesy song in the background.

Different strokes, for different folks I guess.

I will admit that the grinding episodes were tedious as shit.(and unnecessary to boot!)

@Crushed:
*brofist*
#27 Posted by Tuggah (1072 posts) -

I prefer the Deadly Premonition to Persona 4 and I prefer BR to VJ.

#28 Posted by buft (3316 posts) -

Vinny and Jeff was an amazing commentary right from the get go.

#29 Posted by Slaker117 (4838 posts) -
@Tuggah said:
" I prefer the Deadly Premonition to Persona 4 and I prefer BR to VJ. "
Hell yeah! I knew I couldn't be the only one.
#30 Posted by DystopiaX (5300 posts) -

Use the search thread, there are like 100 threads about this very topic.

#31 Posted by InternetCrab (1504 posts) -

VJ.
#32 Posted by m2cks (580 posts) -

I personally found VJ to be more generally humorous and entertaining (I presume it's because of their previous ER experience; from that, Vinny and Jeff have developed their synergy already as opposed to newcomers Ryan and Brad). There were, however, profound moments in the BR ER that VJ seemed to just shrug off (not to cite examples because of the fear of spoilers). All in all, they're both good in their own special way, but if I had to choose, I'd go with VJ.

#33 Posted by JJGIANT (755 posts) -

Persona fucking 4

#34 Posted by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Persona 4 ER, was like the greatest thing to ever happen to the internet. the DP ER was "just" awesome.

#35 Posted by RiotBananas (3600 posts) -

Vinny and Jeff are the funniest in my opinion.

#36 Posted by Damodar (1343 posts) -

I finally went back and watched the Brad and Ryan DP ER, finished it last night. Ryan was funny, but Brad never really riffs on jokes with anybody. Vinny, Jeff and Ryan will work off each other's jokes and do little impromptu skits and stuff, but you never get that from Brad. So it's just kind of Ryan making one liners himself, with Brad throwing out the occasional one. Brad mostly just brings frustration to the table though :P

But the P4 ER was my favourite.
#37 Posted by Dad_Is_A_Zombie (1225 posts) -

Neither pair showed the game any respect but if I had to choose one I'd say Vinnie and Jeff. Brad and Ryan made it clear how miserable they were laboring through the game. At least Vinny and Jeff didn't act like there was a gun to their heads the whole time forcing them to play it.

#38 Edited by The_Grindilow (430 posts) -

Half way through VJ's run through of DP, absolutely loving it, never laughed so much at a game! Plus, those two commentating and the general slowness at which Vinny plays it and 'observes' EVERYTHING cracks me up.

Will probably go on to their play through of P4 next, and then maybe watch BR's endurance of premonition

#39 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2103 posts) -

I personally loved both.  VJ has more fun with it.  I am that kind of person who usually has a good time with bad games in general.

BR seemed to hate it, and that was funny in itself.

#40 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

I have to agree with the guy who said it should have been VR and JB.  

#41 Posted by Valkyr (667 posts) -

BR sucks because Brad whines a lot about the game quality, VJ took it the way it was supposed to be -> 'This is a hilarious low budget game' so they enjoyed every minute of it. Also, Vinny is the most awesome dude in the history of awesome dudes, after Tesla of course.

#42 Posted by Dagbiker (6971 posts) -

I just watched the persona4 ER again. and it was good don't get me wrong, but they lost steam probably the second or third time they caught the real killer. ( during the void quest )  at that point they just stopped talking, and things stopped being funny, and it felt like they just wanted to finish it.
so if you are watching the P4 ER i would ether watch the first 12 episodes, ( up until the guy says he loves balls ) or up until the void quest. and then watch the V-J ER of Deadly premonition.

#43 Posted by npeterson08 (502 posts) -

I found it was more interesting to watch them concurrently and watch what each pair of guys did during certain situations throughout the story. But yeah, compared to the P4 ER, DP is a different kind of animal. Much more quirky.

#44 Posted by tsunderes (1 posts) -

I watched the VJ one personally, because I loved their P4 run so much.
To be honest, I'm kind of glad they didn't do a great deal of exploring. The ER has made me want to play myself, but I know if I didn't know the answers to many of the games main questions going in, I would barrel through it much like they did since I'm impatient like that. Now I can play and relax, and find out everything Greenvale has to offer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.