Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

SWERY65 interview regarding Deadly Premonition

KarateLincoln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KarateLincoln

No idea how there hasn't been a mention of this yet, but... I found this on Swery's Twitter.

http://www.faceoffgames.com/section/1056389

Not much to add, except what he said about various secrets/etc got me looking around Greenvale some more. I ended up looking around in Galaxy of Terror, looked at the map, and saw that George and Thomas were in the stairway to the crazy sex room. Silly that it shows up on the map even before there's a visible passage. Mentioning that alone is probably grounds for a different thread, but I figured I may as well share it with you. I'd suggest everyone else take long stays in Greenvale to discover other things. There's got to be some /odd/ things that can happen when one peeks into windows at the right time.

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By kevinski

Monitoring what's going on in town can be a daunting task. I think that it'd be interesting to have a bunch of people band together and each watch maybe one or two locations for days on end, just to see who happens to go where and to make sense of it within the confines of the plot that you experience.

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By kevinski

Great quote from the interview: "The cutest children are the ones we have the lowest expectations of." XD

Crono11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Crono11

It was a very interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By RobotHamster

Swery NEEDS to be a guest on the bombcast, or at least an interview from Giantbomb, please make it happen, Swery owes Giantbomb for 98% of sales.

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By kevinski

I wonder if Swery had an interpreter for the interview. His English isn't all that great, based on what I've seen on Twitter. I love reading his posts, though. If he's on Bombcast, then he should: 1) Wear a gas mask and sit in a wheel chair. 2) Have an interpreter in a white suit who translates what he says in rhymes. Please, Giant Bomb, make this happen.

jos4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jos4
    @RobotHamster said:
    " Swery NEEDS to be a guest on the bombcast, or at least an interview from Giantbomb, please make it happen, Swery owes Giantbomb for 98% of sales. "
    That's totally right!
    Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
    Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

That interview was quite interesting.  I like that he did admit its faults but still appreciated them, which shows how much care was put into the game and I can appreciate that.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By buzz_killington

Can you link to Swery's twitter?

!!!!!AND HELL YEAH SWERY SHOULD GUEST ON THE BOMBCAST!!!!

kevinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kevinski
    @Boom_goes_the_dynamite said:
    " That interview was quite interesting.  I like that he did admit its faults but still appreciated them, which shows how much care was put into the game and I can appreciate that. "
    You know, though, despite him mentioning the map's zoom level, I feel that it was - to an extent - purposeful. Someone pointed out that the roads form the shape of a dog, and you'd notice this far too easily if you were able to zoom the map out completely. Now, in dungeons and buildings, that's another story. I wonder if they're shaped like anything.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mutha3

I don't like the fact that he downplays the influence of Twin Peaks.

Come the fuck on, Swery. This game was covered from top to bottom with Twin Peaks.

jos4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jos4
    @mutha3 said:
    " I don't like the fact that he downplays the influence of Twin Peaks.  Come the fuck on, Swery. This game was covered from top to bottom with Twin Peaks. "
    Yes, but at the same time it's a completely different beast, not a simple ripoff.
    EliasT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By EliasT

Wow, that guy is just as awesome as I thought he'd be!

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By august
    @jos4 said:
    " @RobotHamster said:
    " Swery NEEDS to be a guest on the bombcast, or at least an interview from Giantbomb, please make it happen, Swery owes Giantbomb for 98% of sales. "
    That's totally right! "
    The dude can barely type English, much less speak it.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By mutha3
    @jos4 said:

" @mutha3 said:

" I don't like the fact that he downplays the influence of Twin Peaks.  Come the fuck on, Swery. This game was covered from top to bottom with Twin Peaks. "
    Yes, but at the same time it's a completely different beast, not a simple ripoff. "
    I know, but to completely  deny it influence seems like straight-out lying to me. 
    MiniPato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MiniPato

@mutha3 said:

" @jos4 said:

" @mutha3 said:

Yes, but at the same time it's a completely different beast, not a simple ripoff. "
    I know, but to completely  deny it influence seems like straight-out lying to me. 
    "
    Yeah, he makes it sound like any similarities to Twin Peaks is merely by accident.

Red Forest, Green Forest, White Room, that all is in no way similar to the White Lodge, Black Lodge, and the Waiting Room.
     FBI Agent who tries not to get emotionally attached because of a troubled past falls in love with blonde chick.
    Anna is in no way Laura Palmer. 
    Pot Lady is not Log Lady.

It all just happened to come out that way. SWERY is a genius after all. He made Spy Fiction for god sakes!
    RobJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RobJ
    @KarateLincoln: Thank you so VERY MUCH for posting this! "Deadly Premonition" is one of the best games I've played in years! Going through it a second time because I messed up the first time around. Very cool catching things this time that I missed before. In my opinion Swery is a genius and I hope he gets to do a sequel.
    armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By armaan8014

Good stuff. I'd like to see what interesting things the GB crew missed out on in the town by not exploring.

Cerogravian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Cerogravian

Thanks for the tip! I try to keep myself updated on SWERY's twitter, but sometimes things slip through.

Legend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#21  Edited By Legend
    @mutha3 said:

Yeah, he seemed reluctant to admit that Twin Peaks had a big influence on the game. The publisher probably asked him not to speak openly about that out of fear of being sued for copyright infringement. 
    wonderhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By wonderhare
    @buzz_killington said:

" Can you link to Swery's twitter?   !!!!!AND HELL YEAH SWERY SHOULD GUEST ON THE BOMBCAST!!!! "

Swery65
    JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

#24  Edited By JackiJinx

This is my favorite question from the interview: 

Is there anything in the game you would change now?
    Well, the balance didn't turn out the way we wanted, so if I start talking about this I'll never stop. One thing I can say is that we would change the control scheme if we had it over to do again. We'd also change the zoom ratio of the map screen. But, even we love every part of our game, even its flaws, so maybe it's fine how it is. The cutest children are the ones we have the lowest expectations of.

Walheimat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Walheimat
    @jos4 said:

" @mutha3 said:

Yes, but at the same time it's a completely different beast, not a simple ripoff.  "
    He's seen his game reduced to its Twin Peaks roots one time too often. I don't think SWERY65 would renounce them so forcefully now, if it weren't for this. In a way, he's also defending his team, acknowledging "the helps and efforts of a lot of people" once more. These are people who might not have been influenced by Twin Peaks to a degree that it left apparent traces on their personal share of input.

The game is more of a Bedroom in Arles* look on Twin Peaks than it is a ripoff, to me. It's not quite right, but somehow better.

* a painting by Van Gogh with a very strange perspective
    Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By Hannibal

I think the Twin Peaks influence is being overplayed here. I've watched all of Twin Peaks, and all of the predictions I made based on how Twin Peaks went were entirely wrong. Even in retrospect I couldn't have guessed it. It borrows the setting, which is minor considering how detailed the fiction is, and borrows a little of the mood (though not entirely, as anyone who has watched Twin Peaks can attest). There are no character equivalents between the two series, other than roles. Thomas acts KIND of like Andy, though we all know where that goes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.