Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Swery's Keynote from GDC

Avatar image for princess_isabela
    Princess_Isabela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Princess_Isabela

Posted by Gamespot, very interesting read: 

http://gdc.gamespot.com/story/6302247/swerys-20-20-hindsight-on-deadly-premonition/?tag=picks%3Btitle%3B8 

Cheers.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

''He intentionally inserted a negative side to every character. Forrest Kaysan was a nice guy and good with kids, but he had trouble keeping his pants on.'' 

Also interesting to know there initially wasn't going to be any combat. Shame it had to be put in for the sake of the US audience, as it would of been better off without for the most part I'd say.
    gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By gike987

"Swery explained that he originally didn't have any combat in Deadly Premonition; York was just intended to run away from shadows. However, the publisher told him it wouldn't sell in the US if he did that, so they added the gunplay in."

So without stupid publishers the gameplay of Deadly Premonition could actually have been somewhat interesting.

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Doctorchimp

God damn it.

Is there any video of this thing?

They have a Cliffy B one I know.

buft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By buft

i dont think they posted a video for that one, i looked after watching the swery video here and couldnt find it.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Slaker117
    @gike987:  I agree that it would have been a better game without combat, but Silent Hill: Shattered Memories did that and, if I remember right, didn't sell very well. That game was also polished, backed by a decently large publisher, and had a known brand tied to it. I can understand a pub's weariness of the concept, and the game sold well enough in spite of the horribly broken combat.
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael
    @gike987 said:
    "  "Swery explained that he originally didn't have any combat in Deadly Premonition; York was just intended to run away from shadows. However, the publisher told him it wouldn't sell in the US if he did that, so they added the gunplay in."   So without stupid publishers the gameplay of Deadly Premonition could actually have been somewhat interesting. "
    Running away isn't interesting. See Shattered Memories. 

Deadly Premonition should just have been a TV show.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Icemael: 

You totally left the part out where people loved Shattered Memories....
    Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael
    @Doctorchimp: People loved Shattered Memories for its atmosphere, and for the way it collected data about you and altered the story and the environments based on that.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Icemael said:
    " @Doctorchimp: People loved Shattered Memories for its atmosphere, and for the way it collected data about you and altered the story and the environments based on that. "
    Kinda like how people loved Deadly Premonition for the wacky story and characters?

Not having to shoot things probably would have turned it into a more bearable game.... 

I also ran away in Amnesia...
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By mutha3
    @Icemael said:

" @gike987 said:

"  "Swery explained that he originally didn't have any combat in Deadly Premonition; York was just intended to run away from shadows. However, the publisher told him it wouldn't sell in the US if he did that, so they added the gunplay in."   So without stupid publishers the gameplay of Deadly Premonition could actually have been somewhat interesting. "

Running away isn't interesting. See Shattered Memories.  "
    Shattered Memories is the only Silent Hill game remotely fun to play.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Cirdain
    @gike987 said:

order of shooting: 

Publisher(s)

mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By mutha3
    @Abyssfull said:
    " ''He intentionally inserted a negative side to every character. Forrest Kaysan was a nice guy and good with kids, but he had trouble keeping his pants on.'' 
    "
    Don't see how that's a "negative side".
    damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By damswedon
    @Cirdain: Rising star picked it up for EU release long after it came out the US so they are safe.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#15  Edited By Yummylee
    @mutha3 said:
    " @Abyssfull said:
    " ''He intentionally inserted a negative side to every character. Forrest Kaysan was a nice guy and good with kids, but he had trouble keeping his pants on.'' 
    "
    Don't see how that's a "negative side". "
    Like the spoiler says, it's all they could really come up with without outright spoiling the plot.
    Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Cirdain
    @damswedon said:

" @Cirdain: Rising star picked it up for EU release long after it came out the US so they are safe. "

I dont care! I'm saying whatever man you wanna bring that shit lets bring that shit, I take it straight to the street man. BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bybeach
    @Cirdain said:
    "@damswedon said:

" @Cirdain: Rising star picked it up for EU release long after it came out the US so they are safe. "

I dont care! I'm saying whatever man you wanna bring that shit lets bring that shit, I take it straight to the street man. BLAP BLAP BLAP BLAP

"

I love how jeff awkwardly holds that gunsideways, and goes blamblamblamblamblam. He might hit the side of a barn, but probably gave the cow inside a heart attack.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HandsomeDead
    @gike987 said:
    Yeah, it's their fault and theirs alone.
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ryanwho

So now I can pretend DP's original gameplay more resembled Shattered Memories, a game where people complained about the gameplay.

beej

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By beej
    @ryanwho: I think the point is that the gameplay wouldn't have gotten in the way as much this way. Not sure that having him just run would really be a good thing but at least it wouldn't hinder the plot from progressing as much.
    XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#21  Edited By XenoNick

That was a good read. I think having York run from shadows (like shattered Memories) would've made it better.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DystopiaX
    @gike987 said:
    I've long since dreamed of a horror style game where you either have no guns or almost no bullets (even less than in survival horror; like 2-3 rounds that will only kill 1-2 enemies at best), so you feel helpless against the monsters/enemies that are pursuing you and you have to frantically run away+impede the monsters through barricades, etc. In this dream game you can melee but the enemies are much stronger than you- you need to either be really good with timings or catch them by surprise. Most of the game is just Mirror's edge style running, but more responsive and with less "I don't know where to go" or momentum breakers. The challenge isn't in jumping around, it's staying ahead of said powerful enemies.
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Simplexity

I just wish Swery can realize his dream in Deadly Premonition 2, by adding bicycles and cologne.

Gaming will never be the same.

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Warts and all I like DP the way it is. Maybe if some of the mechanical things were improved it would have damaged the overall experience. I am very interested to see what Swery can do with a better budget to work with though. Hopefully, a publisher with some resources has seen the buzz DP stirred up and bankroll him.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.