Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Swery's Unexpected Lucidity

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By nintendoeats

I wrote a blog post! But it has images! And I don't want to reformat them! So here is a link!

Its about SWERY's talk at GDC. I wish I could have covered more stuff, but I don't want people TL;DRing it. Oh yes, I totally just verbed an acronym.

Feel free to ask questions about any aspect of the talk here or on the original post. I also have some more pictures of slides, but they don't really make sense without narration.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By nintendoeats

I wrote a blog post! But it has images! And I don't want to reformat them! So here is a link!

Its about SWERY's talk at GDC. I wish I could have covered more stuff, but I don't want people TL;DRing it. Oh yes, I totally just verbed an acronym.

Feel free to ask questions about any aspect of the talk here or on the original post. I also have some more pictures of slides, but they don't really make sense without narration.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Unless you're purposely using broken-looking URLs on that site, that link looks broken.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By nintendoeats
    @LordAndrew:  It still works, but I see what you mean. Very odd. I suspect that it is due to my very loose understanding of wordpress. Anyway, I'll change it to a less broken looking URL.

EDIT: Fixed, I had messed up permalink settings. Thanks for pointing that out.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By mazik765

Good read. Thanks for that :)

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Example1013

The text on that card is orange. Just to tell you, since you're colorblind.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nintendoeats
    @example1013: *sigh* god dammit. I really wish I could see colours properly.
    Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Example1013
    @nintendoeats: At least Giant Bomb is colorblind-friendly!
    MarkWahlberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By MarkWahlberg

The extent to which the game mirrored 'real life' was one of the things I really liked about it. You're definitely right about why it works in DP but not in GTA. There's an immersion aspect that counter-acts  people getting impatient with doing random shit.

Spectreman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Spectreman

(Sorry, wrong post)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Claude

Interesting read.  I doubt I will play the game as I watched a lot of the dual endurance runs. But I did light up when York did. Kind of funny now that I think about it. Thanks for posting.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Very interesting stuff. Personally I disagree that the world of Greenvale was as engaging as that of Liberty City, but I certainly agree that there's something to be said for a game that can make experiences within the game world relatable to those of real-life, The Sims for example, was a game that managed to use that idea to fantastic effect. I also agree that the world and characters are as important (if not more important) than the plot of the game, Swery's understanding of this managed to make what could have been a game that nobody would touch with a ten foot barge pole into a title with a genuinely satisfied cult following.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.