Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

The crazy sales of this game prove one thing:

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Kibblez

as long as the game is in the public eye and has some sort of positive reaction like good reviews (or in this case, people praising DP for its campy value)  AND it's on sale at a cheap and reasonable price....then people will buy mostly anything. Publishers, take note!

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By nanikore

Take not?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

European publishers especially!
    superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By superfriend

The sales prove that GiantBomb is more influential than anybody would dare to imagine.

Also, people like cheap games, even if they´re kinda bad.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By dtat

I'll bet Persona 4 owes a couple percentage points of its sales to the GB crew.
    ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ch3burashka

I doubt this claim. Had the ER featured the newly-announced game, "Mean Girls", I don't think that would boost sales.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By KowalskiManDown

It's good to see it selling so well over there... gives us European's some hope.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Karkarov

Yeah no offense to GB, I admit I wouldn't have picked this up without the ER, but I doubt they are that big an influence.  Especially when you consider how Brad rags on Ryan for admitting he bought it, and Vinny and Jeff really don't do much better.  I can say with 100% certainty they didn't have that big an impact on Persona 4, a game which already had a loyal fan base in the states to begin with. 

Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Shinri
    @Dtat said:
    "I'll bet Persona 4 owes a couple percentage points of its sales to the GB crew. "

Lolno. 

Persona and SMT in general has a massive fanbase.
    Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By Hannibal
    @Shinri: Couple percentage points = 2/100. 

Persona 4 sold 640k in America. 

So that means 2/100 would be 12,800 units. 

I think that's entirely reasonable.
    Junpei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Junpei

It may have added to a small percentage of sales for P4 but the vast majority of them can be accounted to the Atlus faithful (myself amongst them) who even though SMT may not be as big as other series, it's got a very healthy audience that is growing. Most anyone who falls into this category will buy the game early (first week) because of fear of one of Atlus' notoriously short prints.

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Skald

It proves people like Twin Peaks and Resident Evil, and that they'll put up with horrible textures for the sake of saving forty bucks.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Dtat said:
    " I'll bet Persona 4 owes a couple percentage points of its sales to the GB crew. "
    It definitely does, but the main difference was Persona 4 was a wicked good game as well.
    Shinri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Shinri
    @Hannibal said:
    " @Shinri: Couple percentage points = 2/100.  Persona 4 sold 640k in America.  So that means 2/100 would be 12,800 units.  I think that's entirely reasonable. "

The ER sold 12,800 units?

Naw.

ashogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ashogo

So your conclusion is...a game that gets media buzz, is cheap, and receives positive feedback, will sell well? Well I'll be.

Hannibal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By Hannibal
    @Shinri: There are 80,000+ registered users of Giant Bomb. Considering how loyal Giant Bomb users tend to be and how many people there are coming to Giant Bomb to view videos but not create an account, it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility. 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @Hannibal said:
    " @Shinri: There are 80,000+ registered users of Giant Bomb. Considering how loyal Giant Bomb users tend to be and how many people there are coming to Giant Bomb to view videos but not create an account, it's definitely not outside the realm of possibility.  "
    Not only counting Giant Bomb users, but people who don't have accounts here and still love the video content.
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#18  Edited By ez123
    @Shinri said:
    " @Dtat said:
    "I'll bet Persona 4 owes a couple percentage points of its sales to the GB crew. "
    Lolno.  Persona and SMT in general has a massive fanbase. "
    Massive fanbase?

Naw.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By thatfrood

woah, big shocker there.

dutch42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dutch42
    @Dtat said:
    " I'll bet Persona 4 owes a couple percentage points of its sales to the GB crew. "
    me and the mrs bought the game solely on the back on the endurance run. never been a huge rpg fan.
    Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Cwaff

I kinda want to buy this game because of the endurance run, I know its bad and all but I just want to own it. 
    Problem is it's not out in the UK. Would importing it just to own it be going too far?

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By hatking
    @CH3BURASHKA said:
    "I doubt this claim. Had the ER featured the newly-announced game, "Mean Girls", I don't think that would boost sales."

The point is that they didn't use Mean Girls.  They are showing games that for some reason are worth showing and people see that.  Deadly Premonition isn't a mind blowing game, but it is worth showing for the whole "so bad it's good" aspect of it.  Persona 4 was legitimately a good game.  Even then I still think the if they did play some uninteresting horrirble game it would still get them sales in some small way.
    LackingSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#23  Edited By LackingSaint

I'll take a game with uncommon flaws and uncommon strengths over a game with common flaws and common strengths any day.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By dichemstys

I'm considering buying it. It seems interesting enough for $20.

weeken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By weeken

It seems reasonable that the ER audience is contributing 100s and maybe 1000s to the number sold. What would be interesting is a survey of percent of GB users who bought the game based on ER. That would be sort of an advertising stat that GB could use for next ER.

DJbruce92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By DJbruce92
    @Cwaff said:
    " I kinda want to buy this game because of the endurance run, I know its bad and all but I just want to own it.  Problem is it's not out in the UK. Would importing it just to own it be going too far? "
    Unless you own a american 360  http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-dh-49-en-15-Deadly-70-3p1w.html you won't be able to play it sadly :( .
    jos4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jos4
    @Cwaff said:
    " I kinda want to buy this game because of the endurance run, I know its bad and all but I just want to own it.  Problem is it's not out in the UK. Would importing it just to own it be going too far? "
    The NTSC version of the game is region-locked, so...  Why don't you try asking for a PAL version here:  http://www.risingstargames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62&start=290 ? That's what many of us have done before, to show our interest in a European/UK release of the game.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Jeust
    @Shinri said:
    " @Hannibal said:
    " @Shinri: Couple percentage points = 2/100.  Persona 4 sold 640k in America.  So that means 2/100 would be 12,800 units.  I think that's entirely reasonable. "

The ER sold 12,800 units?

Naw.

"
    It's possible as even Atlus used it as advertising. It may have been a reason why it sold well.
    Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cwaff
    @jos4 said:
    " @Cwaff said:
    The NTSC version of the game is region-locked, so...  Why don't you try asking for a PAL version here:  http://www.risingstargames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62&start=290 ? That's what many of us have done before, to show our interest in a European/UK release of the game. "
    Don't worry I know, I just meant for the sake of owning it.
    thekeenan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By thekeenan

Clearly the first ER introduced some people to the Persona series. Personally I bought both Persona 4 and 3 because of the ER, I had no real knowledge of the games before that.  

I even bought a copy of DP, even though I don't have a 360. Simply because I think this is a game I may want to play, because of watching the current ERs.  

Also I am thinking about getting a 360 soon aswell, just incase anyone was wondering.

chokomofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By chokomofo
    @Dtat said:
    I'd say they probably do, but it's a tiny, tiiiiny amount of total sales. ATLUS has a huuuuge fanbase, and the SMT series in general has a strong following. Deadly Premontion on the other hand... yeah. I'm tempted to pick this game up just because of the GB crew, haha.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mutha3
    @ez123 said:

" @Shinri said:

" @Dtat said:

Lolno.  Persona and SMT in general has a massive fanbase. "
    Massive fanbase?  Naw. "
    Certainly not massive, but very,very,very loyal and P4 had great reception from critics as well.  I think these two factors influenced the sales...

I assume Giantbomb pushed  1000-5000  copies for Atlus with their ER.

@Jeust said:

"
    It's possible as even Atlus used it as advertising. It may have been a reason why it sold well. "
    No, giantbomb's influence affected 2 % of the sales at most. Anymore then that and we're talking about the  majority of our user community buying a copy(which really didn't happen)
    jos4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jos4
    @Cwaff said:
    " @jos4 said:
    " @Cwaff said:
    The NTSC version of the game is region-locked, so...  Why don't you try asking for a PAL version here:  http://www.risingstargames.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=62&start=290 ? That's what many of us have done before, to show our interest in a European/UK release of the game. "
    Don't worry I know, I just meant for the sake of owning it. "
    Oh, I see. Luck you! You won't have to wait for a PAL release then, hehehe!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.