Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Who here has played this, and dislikes it?

havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By havelava

So I've noticed the majority of negative feedback for this game is from people who haven't actually played it.  Also it seems most of the positive feedback is from people who have played the game, so, is there anyone here, who owns or has played a large amount of this game, and dislikes it?

havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By havelava

Anyone?  Because there's a lot of people who seem to dislike the game in these forums, so, have any of you played it?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I wish I was one of them =(. Even if it turned out that I didn't enjoy it as much as I was expecting, least then I'd know. Long as I actually got to try it out for myself.
    hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By hinderk

I have played it and liked it.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Afroman269

If it magically fell out of the sky in front of me, I may consider playing it but other than that the game is not interesting me enough to go out to buy or rent it.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#6  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Played it and loved it.

taylor109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By taylor109

I love pretty much all aspects of this game. The only downside after playing about halfway through it is that the combat gets pretty tedious in long sessions, but its not that much of a problem for me since I usually only play an hour or two every few days. But I can completely understand a lot of people not liking this game you either hate it or love it there's really no middle ground with DP, but I do agree with the OP way too many people are making snap decisions based on the graphics and combat. 

havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By havelava
    @Abyssfull said:

" I wish I was one of them =(. Even if it turned out that I didn't enjoy it as much as I was expecting, least then I'd know. Long as I actually got to try it out for myself. "

Do you live in Europe?  Well, you better cross your fingers for a release there then, huh. 

@hinderk

said:

" I have played it and liked it. "

Same here, and that seems to be the vast majority, people who have played the game like it and people who haven't played, dislike it.  I'm just wondering if there's anyone who actually has played it, and then decided that it's a bad game.

@Afroman269 said:

" If it magically fell out of the sky in front of me, I may consider playing it but other than that the game is not interesting me enough to go out to buy or rent it. "

You should try it out, it's only 20 dollars, and if you decide you don't like it after you buy it.  Well, then you'll have a weird cult title to show off in your game collection.  But if you do like it, you've got a game around 20-40 hours long to play, something you wouldn't have otherwise experienced.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By landon

I don't have to play it to know I don't like it.

havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By havelava
    @Landon:   Sorry, this kind of logic always confuses me.  Could you elaborate?
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By landon
    @havelava:  
    Well, I don't like playing bad games.
    havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By havelava
    @Landon:    I don't think very many people consider this a bad game.
    REPOSTIN

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178205&p=4  

I want to tell you about the most fun I've had playing a videogame in a good long while. Deadly Premonition is the kind of experience that reminds you of why you fell in love with this medium in the first place. Once you look past its flaws, you'll find a game that is completely engrossing for far longer than it ought to be, is refreshingly self-aware that it is, in fact, a videogame and not a movie, and in many ways, is one of the best examples of game writing I've ever seen

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/reviews/xbox-360/m-r/deadly-premonition-0 

Its production values are unquestionably budget, but the game’s ambitious level of corny self-awareness makes it a stupidly affordable, must-have cult title for the adventurous set.

http://www.atomicgamer.com/articles/998/deadly-premonition-review 

With four long Episodes (made up of multiple chapters totaling upwards of twenty hours), a cast of interesting characters, a truly compelling storyline and a variety of different things to do, it’s likely one of the best action/adventure/survival/horror values released in some time.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3475/Deadly-Premonition-Review.htm 

If other games had the problems found in Deadly Premonition, they would be laughed off the 360 and into obscurity, but this game just has that staying power, that “je ne sais quoi” that makes you want to keep playing, to keep going forward, to keep unraveling the mystery, no matter how awful the controls and graphics. 

http://www.digitalchumps.com/game-reviews/34-360/4774-deadly-premonition.html 

Access Games just got so much right with Deadly Premonition it's honestly hard to find a hell of a lot to bicker about. If you look past the graphics, and you should, you're in for a tremendous treat here. It's the kind of game that gets you hooked fast, and keeps you playing for hours on end

http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml 

Deadly Premonition is like watching two clowns eat each other. It's perverse, it's wrong, and yet it's so fucking funny. There are many who will not understand, or not even want to understand what makes it so compelling and excellent despite its quality. For the twenty dollar price tag, however, there will be no finer experience for survival horror fans with a love for the darkly comic. 

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/deadly-premonition-review.php?page=1

Despite its laundry list of infuriating flaws and shortcomings, "Deadly Premonition" offers one of the most unique and memorable gaming experiences ever. 

http://www.ztgamedomain.com/9374/Deadly-Premonition.html

Yes, some aspects are nowhere near where the bar has been set on current titles, but this game is something that is a truly unique experience as well as a love letter to fans of the survival horror genre. You really can't go wrong with picking this game up if you have the time to invest in it. 

http://www.cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/deadlypremonitionreview.html 

This game is not for everyone. In fact, it won't be for most people. But, at an amazing value of twenty dollars, it may be a worthy investment for those that are bored of their current slate of games and are ready to put up with the numerous frustrations to experience the inane charm that Deadly Premonition offers 

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/761/761567.html 

Awful in nearly every way. The Twin Peaks meets Resident Evil with a dash of Grand Theft Auto formula sounds pretty great, but it was well beyond the capabilities of this development team. Terrible controls. Terrible pacing. Terrible sound effects. Terrible visuals. Maybe you can convince yourself that these things don't matter as you work through this surreal and quirky storyline.

Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Skytylz
    @havelava: This guy played it and didn't like it.
    havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By havelava
    @Skytylz: Alright, fair enough you got me there.  But I mean anyone here in giantbomb, because several people here are expressing their dislike of it.  But not many of them have actually played it.
    Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Skytylz
    @havelava: I haven't played it and the endurance run isn't making me want to play it like it did for Persona 4.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By landon
    @havelava said:
    " @Landon:    I don't think very many people consider this a bad game.
    REPOSTIN

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3178205&p=4  

I want to tell you about the most fun I've had playing a videogame in a good long while. Deadly Premonition is the kind of experience that reminds you of why you fell in love with this medium in the first place. Once you look past its flaws, you'll find a game that is completely engrossing for far longer than it ought to be, is refreshingly self-aware that it is, in fact, a videogame and not a movie, and in many ways, is one of the best examples of game writing I've ever seen

http://www.oxmonline.com/article/reviews/xbox-360/m-r/deadly-premonition-0 

Its production values are unquestionably budget, but the game’s ambitious level of corny self-awareness makes it a stupidly affordable, must-have cult title for the adventurous set.

http://www.atomicgamer.com/articles/998/deadly-premonition-review 

With four long Episodes (made up of multiple chapters totaling upwards of twenty hours), a cast of interesting characters, a truly compelling storyline and a variety of different things to do, it’s likely one of the best action/adventure/survival/horror values released in some time.

http://www.gameshark.com/reviews/3475/Deadly-Premonition-Review.htm 

If other games had the problems found in Deadly Premonition, they would be laughed off the 360 and into obscurity, but this game just has that staying power, that “je ne sais quoi” that makes you want to keep playing, to keep going forward, to keep unraveling the mystery, no matter how awful the controls and graphics. 

http://www.digitalchumps.com/game-reviews/34-360/4774-deadly-premonition.html 

Access Games just got so much right with Deadly Premonition it's honestly hard to find a hell of a lot to bicker about. If you look past the graphics, and you should, you're in for a tremendous treat here. It's the kind of game that gets you hooked fast, and keeps you playing for hours on end

http://www.destructoid.com/review-deadly-premonition-165168.phtml 

Deadly Premonition is like watching two clowns eat each other. It's perverse, it's wrong, and yet it's so fucking funny. There are many who will not understand, or not even want to understand what makes it so compelling and excellent despite its quality. For the twenty dollar price tag, however, there will be no finer experience for survival horror fans with a love for the darkly comic. 

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/news/deadly-premonition-review.php?page=1

Despite its laundry list of infuriating flaws and shortcomings, "Deadly Premonition" offers one of the most unique and memorable gaming experiences ever. 

http://www.ztgamedomain.com/9374/Deadly-Premonition.html

Yes, some aspects are nowhere near where the bar has been set on current titles, but this game is something that is a truly unique experience as well as a love letter to fans of the survival horror genre. You really can't go wrong with picking this game up if you have the time to invest in it. 

http://www.cheatcc.com/xbox360/rev/deadlypremonitionreview.html 

This game is not for everyone. In fact, it won't be for most people. But, at an amazing value of twenty dollars, it may be a worthy investment for those that are bored of their current slate of games and are ready to put up with the numerous frustrations to experience the inane charm that Deadly Premonition offers 

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/761/761567.html 

Awful in nearly every way. The Twin Peaks meets Resident Evil with a dash of Grand Theft Auto formula sounds pretty great, but it was well beyond the capabilities of this development team. Terrible controls. Terrible pacing. Terrible sound effects. Terrible visuals. Maybe you can convince yourself that these things don't matter as you work through this surreal and quirky storyline.

"
    sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By sixghost
    @havelava said:
    " @Landon:   Sorry, this kind of logic always confuses me.  Could you elaborate? "
    IGN told him it was bad. Don't argue.
    havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By havelava
    @Landon:  It definitely has some problems, that's for sure, but like all the reviews say, if you can look past them you'll find one great game.  

BTW:  Did you really underline " Deadly Premonition is like watching two clowns eat each other. " 
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By landon
    @havelava:  I was just being funny. In all honesty, it just doesn't seem like a game I would play. With so many good stuff out right now, and the fact that they are playing it on Giant Bomb, there's no reason for me to to even give it a try.
    landon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By landon
    @sixghost:  I am insulted that you would even think I take IGN seriously.
    Vlaphor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Vlaphor

I can't say whether I liked it or disliked it.  It has lots of charm, and is for the most part playable, but some of the later-game tedium can become too much too bear.  This is why I tried to tell VJ that they need to get all the bones when F K makes his appearance.  Nothing in any game is more boring than the fights against the wall crawlers and without a proper weapon, it can take thirty minutes to kill each one (and near the end of the game, you face four in a row.   is that what you want in a Endurance Run? Two hours to fight four enemies?).

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By PercyChuggs

And say hello to 2 months of nonstop Deadly Premonition threads...

havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By havelava
    @Landon: Alright, fair enough, there are a lot of good games out now, and this probably isn't much of a priority for you right now.  But you should definitely check it out when the games start getting sparse, around summer or some time like that. 
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mazik765

I watched some preview and had this game pegged as terrible, but the reviews have piqued my interest. I am always happy to hear a game that looks bad turning out to be good. Usually I find good games are better than bad games so the more good games the better. But I am easily frightened and so I will probably not check this out as I don't think my nerves can take it.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By Brendan
    @havelava:
    You need to stop making these threads, you are starting to make yourself look like a clown.
    Avatar image for pirate_republic
    pirate_republic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pirate_republic

I probably would play it BUT WHO THE HELL IS ZACH?

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By iamjohn
    @PercyChuggs said:
    " And say hello to 2 months of nonstop Deadly Premonition threads... "
    Two months?  If only.
    havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By havelava
    @Brendan said:
    " @havelava: You need to stop making these threads, you are starting to make yourself look like a clown. "
    One clown, or two eating each other?
    YellowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By YellowKing
    @havelava said:
    " @Brendan said:
    " @havelava: You need to stop making these threads, you are starting to make yourself look like a clown. "
    One clown, or two eating each other? "
    boom
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#30  Edited By Jeust
    @YellowKing said:

" @havelava said:

" @Brendan said:

boom "
    F. K.... in the cofee!
    ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ajamafalous
    @havelava said:
    " @Brendan said:
    Although you laughed it off with a joke, it is true; you're making yourself look like a tool. People are allowed to have differing opinions of games - deal with it.

To answer your question, I haven't played the game, nor will I. Everything about it looks completely terrible, and not in an endearing way.
    havelava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By havelava
    @ajamafalous: I understand that people have different opinions, and they're entitled to them.  But I'm curious, as to why the people who just write it off as a bad game without playing it do that.  Because all the negative reception I've seen here, has been from people who haven't played the game.  So I'm curious if anyone here criticizing the game has played the game, and can explain the dislike for the game.

Note:  Sorry about all my comma's, I'm like William Shatner when I type.
    Kbm600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#33  Edited By Kbm600
    @iAmJohn said:
    " @PercyChuggs said:
    Two months?  If only. "
    Yeah considering the Persona Forum is still very much active today, this one will keep going for so, so long.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#34  Edited By yinstarrunner

I stayed at a friends house a few weeks ago and played it through the night with him.  I loved it.  I had it in my Gamefly Queue but figured it would be even more fun to experience the whole thing with the GB crew.  I may put it back on there at a later date.

Avatar image for posableactionfigure
    PosableActionFigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've watched less than an hour of a 20+ hour game, have barely seen past the prologue and game has only just actually started, but I've already decided the whole thing is trash and I'm never going to touch it. I make smart informed decisions.

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By I_smell
    @Jeust said:

"F. K.... in the cofee! "

It never fails!
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mutha3
    @iAmJohn said:

" @PercyChuggs said:

Two months?  If only. "
    Why do you feel the need to go in every Deadly Premonition thread and post about this?

As long as it stays away from general discussion, who gives a shit?

Christ.......

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.