Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadly Premonition

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Feb 23, 2010

An open-world action-adventure game following an eccentric FBI agent as he investigates a series of bizarre murders in the small rural town of Greenvale.

Who's Zack?

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By spaceturtle

I've just finished the two Deadly Premonition ER episodes, and what neither I or the GB crew can seem to figure out is who Zack is. Now, I'm pretty sure we'll get most of our questions about the game and ALL IT MYSTERIES answered after the ER is done, but its always fun speculating meanwhile. So what do you guys think? Who is Zack? First thing I thought of was that Zack might be "you", the player...

Oh, and if you have finished the game on your own and know the answer to this one, then shut it! Don't want no spoiling going down here on the thread, damn it! Only speculations, ait?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

Yes Zach is his conscious, which is the player, which makes decisions for him. 

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

It's ''ZACH'' yah crazy fooooool.
    Pyroph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Pyroph

I wouldn't try to find this answer on the internet, unless you want a big spoiler. What Marz said is enough though.

EvilDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By EvilDingo
    @Marz said:          

" Yes Zach is his conscious, which is the player, which makes decisions for him.  "

Personally I don't get that none of the GB-crew got that. It's seem painfully obvious. 

I haven't played this game, and thanks to Giant Bomb I won't ever have to. 
    I really find no reason for me to intentionally play a "bad" game - however watching someone else play it and comment on it, I apparently have no problem with... Funny that.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Abyssfull said:
    " It's ''ZACH'' yah crazy fooooool. "

I'm no fool, yo! Zackhkhkh is the fool, spellin' his name all dumb...
    Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#7  Edited By Soap
    @EvilDingo said:
    " @Marz said:          

" Yes Zach is his conscious, which is the player, which makes decisions for him.  "

Personally I don't get that none of the GB-crew got that. It's seem painfully obvious.
    Yeah, I always talk to myself out loud while holding a finger to my ear and using a different name... dead obvious.
    cap123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By cap123

I didn't get it during the VJ playthrough, but after reading that was the dealio it did seem stupidly obvious while watching the BR version. i thought he was just insane at first, or he had an invisible demon friend since i just finished watched death note haha

deathbyyeti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By deathbyyeti

you are the zach

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Kyreo
    @Marz said:
    This or the cigarette.
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kyreo
    @EvilDingo said:
    " @Marz said:          

Personally I don't get that none of the GB-crew got that. It's seem painfully obvious.  I haven't played this game, and thanks to Giant Bomb I won't ever have to. I really find no reason for me to intentionally play a "bad" game - however watching someone else play it and comment on it, I apparently have no problem with... Funny that. "
    Yeah but it seems almost TOO obvious.  I'm sure there is going to be some huge twist near the end of the game.  
    Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Steve_C

After watching the 2nd video of ryan and brad in the intro bit, i figured that one of those creepy twins might be you in the past? The other twin (your brother) dies and now you're going all crazy talking to him like an imaginary friend.

That first chapter where you see the two twins right way on the chairs is called 'york and zach'.

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kyreo

No wait.... I figured it out.  Laura Paulmer is Zach.

Jais

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Jais

Dude, Zach is a guy that lives inside York. Duh. 

s7evn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By s7evn
    @Jais said:
    " Dude, Zach is a guy that lives inside York. Duh.  "
    That about sums it up.
    carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By carlthenimrod

It's Zack Morris from Saved By the Bell.

Nasos100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Nasos100

i dont know what you say, Zack was a first class soldier.
    that much i know about deadly premonition

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FrankCanada97

Maybe "Zack" is his imaginary friend? Although he seems a little old to be having imaginary friends.

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sixghost
    @EvilDingo said:
    " @Marz said:          

Personally I don't get that none of the GB-crew got that. It's seem painfully obvious.  I haven't played this game, and thanks to Giant Bomb I won't ever have to. I really find no reason for me to intentionally play a "bad" game - however watching someone else play it and comment on it, I apparently have no problem with... Funny that. "
    You should have watched closer. Jeff got that like 6 minutes in.
    JeevesPleez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JeevesPleez

No, wait guys, I got it.  Zach is a little man who lives in York's finger.
    Kind of like Mr. Bimbo to Squire Trelawney in Muppet Treasure Island.
    It explains the "holding up finger to ear" and everything!

Canberra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#21  Edited By Canberra
    "Z.A.C.K"  is his Zombie Activated Character Konundrum.
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PureRok
    tineyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tineyoghurt
    @Steve_C said:
    " After watching the 2nd video of ryan and brad in the intro bit, i figured that one of those creepy twins might be you in the past? The other twin (your brother) dies and now you're going all crazy talking to him like an imaginary friend.  That first chapter where you see the two twins right way on the chairs is called 'york and zach'. "
    We have stumbled upon a winner!
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By I_smell

Yeah I noticed that about the twins aswell as soon as I watched the second video.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Don't read the wiki entry on Zach. That's all I have to say.

Expletive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Expletive

Wasn't one of the kids named Zach? 

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @expletive said:
    " Wasn't one of the kids named Zach?  "
    The kids are name Isaach and Isaiah.
    larryrules138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By larryrules138

Zach isn't the player. Divulging who Zach is would be spoilers. If you want a hint, Vinny guessed who he is correctly at a point in the video.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#29  Edited By fox01313

After playing up to the first save point myself, trying to keep in the same range as the ER, I think that Zack is the name given to the gun. 

Better question than Zack's presence in the game is what I saw on the options of the game...leaderboards?!?!?

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hot_Karl

Who's Zach, you ask? 

C'mon, it's SO obvious. Everyone knows who Zach is. It's a fact clear as a crisp spring morning.

Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#31  Edited By Jazz
    @Kyreo:  
    Its Laura Palmer. PALMER! 
    Zachs the name of the backwards talking dancing dwarf. 

or perhaps Bob changed his name......
    Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Kyreo
    @Jazz said:
    " @Kyreo:  Its Laura Palmer. PALMER! Zachs the name of the backwards talking dancing dwarf.  or perhaps Bob changed his name...... "
    Are you talking about the Bob from Picket Fences??
    GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By GalacticPunt
    @Kyreo said:

" @Jazz said:

" @Kyreo:  Its Laura Palmer. PALMER! Zachs the name of the backwards talking dancing dwarf.  or perhaps Bob changed his name...... "
    Are you talking about the Bob from Picket Fences?? "
    Fire,walk with me...

Kyreo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Kyreo
    @GalacticPunt said:
    " @Kyreo said:

" @Jazz said:

Are you talking about the Bob from Picket Fences?? "
    Fire,walk with me...

"
    Yeah... there we go.  I think I blocked out all those freaky dream sequences and replaced them with all the wit and silliness with Agent Cooper.
    YellowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By YellowKing

Zack is a pretty brilliant gameplay contrivance.  Just like Bioshock's big reveal, it makes you reconsider your relationship as a player and as the main character.  By being schizophrenic or whatever, York is actually the sanest person in the game because on some level he is aware of the player and surrenders himself to their control.
    It also resolves the control / canned response duality in games.  I don't know what York, as York, is going to say in cutscenes, but as Zach controlling York, I sure as hell know what he's going to do in combat.  This also allows us a limited omniscient perspective, whereby talking to Zach, we understand York's more private thoughts.   These elements combined allow us to form a connection to York.

A lot of people seem to think that Zach is just some kind of split personality.  I'm guessing that's what we're meant to think and that there's more to him and his relationship with York.  Maybe he's based on a real person that York once knew?

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By I_smell

@YellowKing said:

" Zack is a pretty brilliant gameplay contrivance.  Just like Bioshock's big reveal, it makes you reconsider your relationship as a player and as the main character.  By being schizophrenic or whatever, York is actually the sanest person in the game because on some level he is aware of the player and surrenders himself to their control.It also resolves the control / canned response duality in games.  I don't know what York, as York, is going to say in cutscenes, but as Zach controlling York, I sure as hell know what he's going to do in combat.  This also allows us a limited omniscient perspective, whereby talking to Zach, we understand York's more private thoughts.   These elements combined allow us to form a connection to York. A lot of people seem to think that Zach is just some kind of split personality.  I'm guessing that's what we're meant to think and that there's more to him and his relationship with York.  Maybe he's based on a real person that York once knew? "

How can you talk about this game so seriously? I'd expect somethin like that in Bioshock or Half Life or Metal Gear or something, and maybe I'd find it a bit clever,  but look at this game. You press A to shoot, and one o the first things you do is run down an empty road for 2 minutes.
    I agree it'd be a good twist, but I don't think the people who made this game know enough about game design to make you think about your role as a player in relation to the main guy. I think they're just makin a cheap Silent Hill knock-off.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Dolphin_Butter
    @I_smell said:
    "   @YellowKing said:

" Zack is a pretty brilliant gameplay contrivance.  Just like Bioshock's big reveal, it makes you reconsider your relationship as a player and as the main character.  By being schizophrenic or whatever, York is actually the sanest person in the game because on some level he is aware of the player and surrenders himself to their control.It also resolves the control / canned response duality in games.  I don't know what York, as York, is going to say in cutscenes, but as Zach controlling York, I sure as hell know what he's going to do in combat.  This also allows us a limited omniscient perspective, whereby talking to Zach, we understand York's more private thoughts.   These elements combined allow us to form a connection to York. A lot of people seem to think that Zach is just some kind of split personality.  I'm guessing that's what we're meant to think and that there's more to him and his relationship with York.  Maybe he's based on a real person that York once knew? "

How can you talk about this game so seriously? I'd expect somethin like that in Bioshock or Half Life or Metal Gear or something, and maybe I'd find it a bit clever,  but look at this game. You press A to shoot, and one o the first things you do is run down an empty road for 2 minutes. I agree it'd be a good twist, but I don't think the people who made this game know enough about game design to make you think about your role as a player in relation to the main guy. I think they're just makin a cheap Silent Hill knock-off. "
    You're right. For example, what if, in another game, you use the left mouse button to shoot and one of the first things you do is sit in a completely uninteractive transport device for 2+ minutes while the opening credits or intro sequence rolls by. Surely, there are no examples of this.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @I_smell:  You have no idea what you're talking about.  The people who made this game are way smarter than you give them credit for.  Nothing about the game is slapped together for just for the sake of being there.  It's all very deliberate.  Sorry, I just don't think you "get it".
    YellowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By YellowKing
    @I_smell Neither I nor the ER teams have finished the game, so I guess we'll just have to wait and find out who's right about Zach.

@I_smell said:

"I think they're just makin a cheap Silent Hill knock-off. "

I will say, though, that if this game wanted to be Silent Hill it did a piss poor job of it.  It's more of a Zelda game really.  You wander around the town and do side quests for optional upgrades and collectibles, and these run the gamut from a target range to checkpoint races to fishing, arena battles, and fetch quests.  The Silent Hill style Otherworld (I call it Red World) gives the game a way to creates the "dungeons" while keeping to a modern setting. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the game does not draw explicitly from Silent Hill.  The main influences to me seem to be Shenmue (town & time system), Resident Evil 4 (combat), Silent Hill (Otherworld aesthetic), and Zelda (overall structure).  Really, in terms of actual gameplay, it draws the least from Silent Hill.
    jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By jmrwacko

It seems pretty obvious that Zack is the player, since whenever York asks Zack to do something, you're given a prompt. But who YOU are remains to be answered... or not...

I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By I_smell

I dunno, I've never played Silent Hill. I just mean it's a spooky town game with mysterious zombies or whatever.
    I'll continue to think this is just a weird bad game til proven otherwise though.
    ALTHOUGH; the whole scene where he first saw F K in his coffee and did a Garry's Mod smile made me think this was some kind of Airplane/Anchorman game where it's allways being stupid for the hell of it.

@Sleepy_Insomniac

said:

"You're right. For example, what if, in another game, you use the left mouse button to shoot and one of the first things you do is sit in a completely uninteractive transport device for 2+ minutes while the opening credits or intro sequence rolls by. Surely, there are no examples of this. "

Ok right, I get what everyone else is sayin, but you're just being dumb. Are you talkin about Half Life? Because duhrr- obviously it uses the mouse to shoot because that's common sense. Deadly Premonition using A to shoot when there's a TRIGGER right there on the controller is just crazy.
    And the whole intro sequence to Half Life was like brand new at the time; shooters had never really even cared about setting or role-playing before then. It shows you around Black Mesa foreshadowing all kinds o suspiciously dangerous stuff like huge security doors and military helicopters n shit, takes you deep deep deep underground, there's a voice-over telling you all about the company n the facility, and all sorts o stuff to build your impression of where you are n what you're doing.
    Deadly Premonition makes you run down a fucking massive EMPTY ROAD for no reason, except maybe to make you think it's an open world game.
    yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @I_smell:  Ummm... it IS an open-world game.  See how little you know about it?
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By Ghostiet
    @yinstarrunner said:
    " @I_smell:  Ummm... it IS an open-world game.  See how little you know about it? "

His nickname sums him up pretty well. Leave him alone, man.

Or not.

@I_smell: First, you use Silent Hill as an example of a "spooky town zombie game", although you never played it and you know shit about it. Then, you're talking about Deadly Premonition pretending to be an open-world game in a sequence of running down a road. Despite the fact that it IS an open-world one.

Also, if you want to destroy Deadly Premonition's plot on the basis of weird controls and a quirky character whose actions don't make any sense at the beginning, then Twin Peaks is a Saturday Morning Cartoon with no depth.

You don't know ANYTHING about the subject in matter, yet you're posting about it. Marvelous.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dbz1995

Zach is the Origami Killer.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By btman

Zack is the little kid.

omgmetalgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By omgmetalgear

i thought zach was anya from Gears of War

YellowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By YellowKing
    @I_smell said:

dly Premonition using A to shoot when there's a TRIGGER right there on the controller is just crazy. And the whole intro sequence to Half Life was like brand new at the time; shooters had never really even cared about setting or role-playing before then. It shows you around Black Mesa foreshadowing all kinds o suspiciously dangerous stuff like huge security doors and military helicopters n shit, takes you deep deep deep underground, there's a voice-over telling you all about the company n the facility, and all sorts o stuff to build your impression of where you are n what you're doing. Deadly Premonition makes you run down a fucking massive EMPTY ROAD for no reason, except maybe to make you think it's an open world game.

1. It is an open world game, watch EP 3.
    2. This a Survival Horror game with Third Person Shooter combat, not a pure TPS.  This is the control scheme that's been used by Survival Horror games over the past decade, including RE4.  You would know this if you'd actually played a Silent Hill game.

speaking of... 

3. Silent Hill does not have zombies, never has and never will.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.