Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deadpool

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jun 25, 2013

Break the fourth wall in this 3rd person action game, the first headlined by "The Merc With A Mouth" Deadpool.

hopefully there will be a quick look.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I kinda want to buy it, its pretty cheap on steam but having heard nothing about it i really want a quick look first

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

I am sure they will - but as they all pretty much hate Deadpool as a character - I think it will be negative. Game is playable but a bit mediocre by all accounts. If you find DP funny you might get something out of it.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Seems like Alex is reviewing it (of course), so that may mean no quick look. Although I've been waiting for them to set up something where he can make videos with the west coast guys. Do it! We have the technology!!

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was Daniel Way involved in this game at all? It's his version of Deadpool that I don't like, and he's been the keeper of Deadpool for years now.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I bet this is going to be this year's Never Dead, in the sense that they don't Quick Look it until next year when they have nothing to do.

Wiseblood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was Daniel Way involved in this game at all? It's his version of Deadpool that I don't like, and he's been the keeper of Deadpool for years now.

He's writing the game.

psylah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@mideonnviscera said:

He's writing the game.

He's doing the mocap for Deadpool.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@psylah said:

@wiseblood said:

@mideonnviscera said:

He's writing the game.

He's doing the mocap for Deadpool.

Maybe that wouldn't be bad but god damn about the writing.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I bet this is going to be this year's Never Dead, in the sense that they don't Quick Look it until next year when they have nothing to do.

It sure does suck that they're so busy right now

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@bocam said:

@mooseymcman said:

Well, Patrick just left, so they're down a man, and Ryan's getting ready for his wedding, and they're still setting up from after E3, and they're still getting adjusted to the new office, you know...

jeffrud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@bocam said:

@mooseymcman said:

Well, Patrick just left, so they're down a man, and Ryan's getting ready for his wedding, and they're still setting up from after E3, and they're still getting adjusted to the new office, you know...

Couple that with Brad leaving soon and you've got a real mess on your hands.

Goddamn it....

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At first I thought this thread was dumb, 'Of course they'll QL it' I thought. Then I read the comments and

Well, Patrick just left, so they're down a man,

And I thought, oh yeah, damn. Not that Patrick left (because duh) but that 'oh yeah, he was thee QL guy' which just made me question the existence of QL's at all now. I can see the Bombcast, Daily Dota's and Unprofessional Friday's been the norm for all a weeks content looking into the future.

spyder335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jeffrud said:

@mooseymcman said:

@bocam said:

@mooseymcman said:

Goddamn it....

wheres brad off too?

FunkasaurasRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FunkasaurasRex

@spyder335 said:

@jeffrud said:

@mooseymcman said:

@bocam said:

@mooseymcman said:

Goddamn it....

wheres brad off too?

Taking over for Greg Miller at IGN.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sort of not looking forward to the Quick Look because it'll probably be unfairly bashed in some respects. Ryan already said he doesn't like it.

It's just weird to me that some self referential humor gets a pass (Saint's Row) and others don't.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By BeachThunder

This game looks like the absolute bottom of the barrel, thankfully though, those usually make for the best QLs :D

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@spyder335 said:

@jeffrud said:

@mooseymcman said:

@bocam said:

@mooseymcman said:

Goddamn it....

wheres brad off too?

Taking over for Greg Miller at IGN.

They are switching places for a few months. A journalist exchange program of sorts.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

And I thought, oh yeah, damn. Not that Patrick left (because duh) but that 'oh yeah, he was thee QL guy' which just made me question the existence of QL's at all now.

Hah, funny how that works out.

Really though, Quick Looks and the Bombcast are bread and butter Giant Bomb. Also there's a QL of Deadpool scheduled to go up later today (the 25th).

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By kishinfoulux

I'm sort of not looking forward to the Quick Look because it'll probably be unfairly bashed in some respects. Ryan already said he doesn't like it.

It's just weird to me that some self referential humor gets a pass (Saint's Row) and others don't.

Oh hey look I was right.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BradBrains

I got what i wanted from the quick look. i knew this game wasnt going to be the crews cup of tea. seems like a not great but decent action game. after getting through the last of us i need something mindless.

Sharpless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@alternate said:

I am sure they will - but as they all pretty much hate Deadpool as a character - I think it will be negative. Game is playable but a bit mediocre by all accounts. If you find DP funny you might get something out of it.

This isn't entirely accurate or, at least, it's more complicated than that. I like Deadpool. However, he is such a hit-or-miss character. Self-referential humor is astoundingly difficult to do well. Saints Row: The Third did it well. Deadpool has done it well... sometimes. It just depends on who's doing the writing. I don't read his books with any regularity so I don't know which writer(s) to look for, but it sounds like this Daniel Way fella is probably not one of the good ones.

I realize their love for Saints Row and their disdain for Deadpool seem arbitrary and hypocritical (as mentioned by @kishinfoulux) but there is a distinct difference between the two. It's difficult to put into words, but it is there. I disagree with their complete dismissal of the character, but Deadpool has been shit quite often, especially since he's become more popular and Marvel has tried to milk his quirks for all they're worth, and has given the GB crew plenty of fuel for their ire.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

@kishinfoulux said:

Oh hey look I was right.

I don't feel like they were unfair at all. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that there's a lot about this game that's super stupid. A lot.

While I think the Saint's Row comparison is pretty apples and oranges, you should also take into account the execution of the humor, not just the basic type.

SonnyCheebah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SonnyCheebah

I personally think the humor, while it misses (a lot), has its moments. The game is actually a lot of fun. I recorded some gameplay, so I can hopefully cast the game in a better light. The combat opens up dramatically with upgrades, and has a pretty good flow to it once you get going (The Sai are pretty cool). The camera kind of sucks, though.

Loading Video...

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rebgav

@sonnycheebah said:

There are some spoilers here, so be wary of that.

And by "some spoilers" he means the final level of the game, including the last two boss fights.

---

Yeah, so, this game is not particularly good. It's a very simplistic GoW style action game, minus the huge bosses and bad puzzles. Between abusing animation priority to be invincible most of the time and the constant accumulation of upgrade points, there isn't a lot of challenge on offer and the game isn't balanced in a way that allows you to bump the difficulty by holding back on upgrading, you're either tearing through the opposition or you're doing virtually no damage.

It's not as awful as the Quick Look suggests though, the first hour or so is abysmal both in terms of gameplay and story/humor but the game evens-out after that. Once you buy the combo upgrades and unlock some weapons the gameplay is more fun and makes more sense, they also calm down on the "hey look, I'm in a videogame" bullshit and it becomes your average mediocre licensed action game. I'd say it's like a simplified DmC, minus aerial combos and with a less annoying protagonist. The game is very short though - it's about six hours on the first playthrough, and that's a maximized, super-generous estimate. Let's say it's no more than six hours long. Which explains why it's $40 on Steam.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I finished this yesterday, and I have to say: Deadpool really isn't that bad at all. I had a lot of fun with it, and although some of the jokes were bad enough that it made me a bit embarrassed to be playing it, there were a number of moments that were genuinely smart and funny. I was also impressed at the lack of one-liner repetition. That's not to say there isn't any, there's a noticeable amount, but not nearly as much as I had expected.

As for gameplay, yeah, it's simple as hell, but it gets the job done. It certainly has more variety than X-Men Origins: Wolverine, at least.

It's a dumb game, but in both bad and great ways. When the tone gets off of "lol sex, farts and dicks, isn't our M rating grand?", there really are some delightful gags to be found.

allgrinzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Better quick look then the quick look in my opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UjeZjmAfOU

Totalbiscuit, while often being a rightous jerk, seems to actually like this game. This is an amazing twist of events, considering he usually lambastes things like this. Perhaps he just understands the character more then the Giantbomb crew? I think any Deadpool fan will enjoy the game to some extent as it isn't horrible, anyone who doesn't like deadpool is going to hate it. Simple as that really, and we all know what side of the fence the crew lies on.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.