A Little Bit Of: Dear Esther

Posted by lim_ak (87 posts) -

Here is something pretty different and unique.

I'm not really going to say too much here. The game is about 90 minutes long and I've just put up an 11 minute video of it. Needless to say that given the nature of the game pretty much everything and anything in the game is a spoiler. This is really more of an experience given the way that the whole thing works with the narration and the fact that there really aren't any game mechanics. That said exploring this island and just seeing what is around and the history to the place.

It's all very mysterious because you're kind of given no direction or backstory whatsoever. You start on the island and you walk with nothing but a lone voice to tell you about the world, not even guide you. But at the same time it's just full of wonderful little details that if you go through a second time you will just notice and just adore just how purposeful everything is from the little snippets of dialogue to the objects strewn an abandoned lighthouse. It's also just a very beautiful game, and I don't mean that from a technical or whatever standpoint.

If anything that I've said about this game interests you at all you should probably play it. It's short and probably not the best value proposition in the world but it is probably one of the most special games that will be released this year and I can say that pretty safely even though it's only February.

#1 Posted by lim_ak (87 posts) -

Here is something pretty different and unique.

I'm not really going to say too much here. The game is about 90 minutes long and I've just put up an 11 minute video of it. Needless to say that given the nature of the game pretty much everything and anything in the game is a spoiler. This is really more of an experience given the way that the whole thing works with the narration and the fact that there really aren't any game mechanics. That said exploring this island and just seeing what is around and the history to the place.

It's all very mysterious because you're kind of given no direction or backstory whatsoever. You start on the island and you walk with nothing but a lone voice to tell you about the world, not even guide you. But at the same time it's just full of wonderful little details that if you go through a second time you will just notice and just adore just how purposeful everything is from the little snippets of dialogue to the objects strewn an abandoned lighthouse. It's also just a very beautiful game, and I don't mean that from a technical or whatever standpoint.

If anything that I've said about this game interests you at all you should probably play it. It's short and probably not the best value proposition in the world but it is probably one of the most special games that will be released this year and I can say that pretty safely even though it's only February.

#2 Posted by Breadfan (6589 posts) -

Good video, dude. Hopefully it will convince some people to check Dear Esther out.

#3 Posted by lim_ak (87 posts) -

@Breadfan: I hope more people try it out as well, because it is a really beautiful thing. It won't be everyone's cup of tea, but it's done surprisingly well so far so yay them!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.