Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dear Esther

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 14, 2012

An unconventional Source-engine mod that features a melancholic atmosphere. Originally a university research project, it experiments by removing most typical player interactions, while seeking to still create a strong player experience. It was released as a standalone experience in 2012.

An exceptionally petty complaint (Spoilers)

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

A beautiful game
    A beautiful game

First off what an absolutely beautiful game. One of the most realistically rendered worlds I've seen yet. I live on an island at the other end of Britain to where this is set and I have to say that the coastline in parts could have been lifted straight from my home.

So, we know that this is set Britain, a Hebridean island to be precise. We hear about a road accident on the M5, we're told it is somewhere outside Wolverhampton. Later we are taken to a flashback of the accident. The signs lining the road are English road signs, the narrater constantly tells us the geographic location.

The game could not be more clear that we are in England during this flashback.

No Caption Provided

So why.....

No Caption Provided

... are all the bloody cars left hand drive!?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

I never noticed that before. I knew it was in England obviously. But I never looked at the steering wheel. Huh.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

This isn't the only one:

An American game, apparently.
    An American game, apparently.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

dun dun duuuuuun!

Nezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My little pedantic heart filled with joy when I realised that all the drivers in Sleeping Dogs got in on the right-hand side, and that traffic drove on the left.

I know it's such a petty thing, and for games in fictional settings I couldn't give a toss. But I do love it when developers show the attention to detail like steering wheels or driving on the correct side in games set in real world locations as it is those everyday things that help ground me into the games reality.

I guess it's my version of expecting to see a reflection in a mirror, or a shadow when walking in front of a projector.

Avatar image for live2brighteous
    Live2bRighteous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nezza: To be honest, at this point and timing of gaming... I think actual working mirrors is mandatory now. Or... it should be...

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By audiosnow

Postman's car.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Pie

Maybe because they didn't custom make that car for the game? Stock car

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Humanity

In the new Wolfenstein gameplay videos they talk about how London is now occupied and during this ride with a cabby he's sitting on the left hand side. I thought it was odd also.

Maybe English people will finally start driving on the right side of the street in the future?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.