Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dear Esther

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 14, 2012

An unconventional Source-engine mod that features a melancholic atmosphere. Originally a university research project, it experiments by removing most typical player interactions, while seeking to still create a strong player experience. It was released as a standalone experience in 2012.

Dear Esther

I_am_Lono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

I recently bought the excellent Humble Indie Bundle 9 and was delighted to see Dear Esther included.

I played Dear Esther when it first came out last year, in a dark room, with several beers through the night in one big greedy sitting. It's a beautiful, intriguing, captivating "game" that has no real gaming mechanics to speak of. It's a story, a journey through a beautiful landscape.

It is difficult to recommend to those who's only gaming is spent attempting to prestige for the 60th time -- and there's nothing wrong with that! However; for anybody looking for something a little different and a journey that you'll not soon forget I highly recommend checking this out.

Enjoy.

FK3QJ-3P4P4-BAXDK

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By jimmyfenix

i hate the fact someone took the key without saying thanks!

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It is cool game.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Someone took it without thanking? For shame. I played through it last week and really enjoyed it.

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pollysmps: You're truly history's greatest monster.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By vilhelmnielsen
    jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@mariachimacabre: Eh. I genuinely feel like shit because my "thanks" post got eaten or whatever. I'm not really "well known" around here, and don't want those that DO notice me posting about to think, "Oh, it's that good-for-nothing-no-thanker."

I always try to thank and repay those who either give me something or I take something from. It's just how I am. I've contacted the OP directly to thank them and apologize.

Eh. Honestly it's not that big of a deal because you obviously meant to thank them for it. My last post was entirely in jest. No harm done.

ToastMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ToastMan

@i_am_lono: Yep! Totally agree. I actually followed the blog of Robert Briscoe (the lead artist and designer) on the development of this, and was really awe struck by his talent on environment design. Very inspiring stuff.

So, yeah, here's another one: EMW0P-NF3N6-FCGZE

Avatar image for commander_crichton
    Commander_Crichton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toastman: Got it. Thanks a lot duder. If Dear Esther is anything like Proteus then it's a given that I'll like it a lot.

I_am_Lono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@mariachimacabre: Eh. I genuinely feel like shit because my "thanks" post got eaten or whatever. I'm not really "well known" around here, and don't want those that DO notice me posting about to think, "Oh, it's that good-for-nothing-no-thanker."

I always try to thank and repay those who either give me something or I take something from. It's just how I am. I've contacted the OP directly to thank them and apologize.

You are very welcome :) I hope you enjoy the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.