Downloaded off of Steam, and it came with a present (virus)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by GeneralZod37 (260 posts) -

Saw Edmun McMillen say the game was pretty good on Twitter so I went to check it out. Bought it and all that. It came with a virus that Norton (yeah yeah yeah) caught and blocked. Just an FYI.

#2 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Are you sure it wasn't just Norton being Norton?

Meaning retarded

#3 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Downloading as we speak, we'll see.

#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

@GeneralZod37 said:

Saw Edmun McMillen say the game was pretty good on Twitter so I went to check it out. Bought it and all that. It came with a virus that Norton (yeah yeah yeah) caught and blocked. Just an FYI.

Yeah there's your problem.

#5 Posted by wewantsthering (1564 posts) -

Just because you were downloading a game from Steam and it happened to pop-up with a virus warning doesn't mean they are related. Also, stop using Norton.

#6 Posted by GloomyTangent (194 posts) -

Probably a false positive. What does the log say exactly?

#7 Posted by ShadowConqueror (3050 posts) -

Correlation ≠ Causation

#8 Posted by spazmaster666 (1966 posts) -

@GeneralZod37 said:

Depending how how an application is coded, it could very well cause a false-positive. In any case, it's best to avoid Norton like the plague as it has in the past detected essential OS files as being viruses, which as you may guess is a very bad thing.

#9 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

I'd format my computer every week rather than using Norton, if viruses were ever a problem. I can't imagine the game has a virus in it...

#10 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Lol Norton.

I like the fact you think Steam distributing viruses is more likely than the worlds shittiest antivirus having a false positive.

#11 Posted by GeneralZod37 (260 posts) -

First and foremost, without getting too off topic. I do not appreciate and it infuriates me that everyone is being snarky. I don't care what evidence you have against Norton and what not. Being snarky and unhelpful is just annoying.

Back on topic, I checked the log, did a little bit of digging, and it seems it was a false positive. There I was wrong. Better safe than sorry though, I suppoose. Still Norton is not the worst thing in the world. Inconvenience != worst thing ever.

#12 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@GeneralZod37

First and foremost, without getting too off topic. I do not appreciate and it infuriates me that everyone is being snarky. I don't care what evidence you have against Norton and what not. Being snarky and unhelpful is just annoying.

Back on topic, I checked the log, did a little bit of digging, and it seems it was a false positive. There I was wrong. Better safe than sorry though, I suppoose. Still Norton is not the worst thing in the world. Inconvenience != worst thing ever.

You're right about Norton not being the worst thing in the world; those fake anti-virus bits of malware are slightly less effective.

People are being snarky because you were aware enough that Norton is utter balls in your first post ("yeah yeah yeah"), but thought it was feasible to say that Valve published a game on Steam that had somehow gotten through with a virus intact, potentially preventing people from purchasing it (if they were particularly gullible).

That's worthy of a little snark by my estimation.
#13 Posted by Scooper (7882 posts) -

So Norton Anti-Virus walks into a bar...

You should start your joke like that next time.

#14 Posted by juice8367 (443 posts) -

@CL60 said:

Are you sure it wasn't just Norton being Norton?

Meaning retarded

#15 Edited by believer258 (11785 posts) -

@GeneralZod37 said:

I don't think people were being snarky about Norton so much as they were about the notion that Steam put a virus infested program up for purchase. Even if it had been a real virus, you would not have gotten it from anything on Steam.

#16 Posted by MB (12247 posts) -

Looks like this mystery has been solved.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.