Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Dear Esther

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Feb 14, 2012

An unconventional Source-engine mod that features a melancholic atmosphere. Originally a university research project, it experiments by removing most typical player interactions, while seeking to still create a strong player experience. It was released as a standalone experience in 2012.

So Who Is That NPC?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JasonR86

I just played through this again and noticed an NPC in two places in this game. One time the dude was moving and holding a lantern. I found that dude at this spot (I couldn't catch him again though so I don't have a screenshot of him..)

No Caption Provided

But I did capture him here. Here's two shots;

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

He's way up on that cliff. Who is that dude? The narrator compares himself to Paul on the road to Damascus when God spoke to him and converted him (the narrator's Damascus being the road where he had the car crash that killed his wife). Is that supposed to be God or a God surrogate?

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

It's not an NPC, it's a G-G-GHOST!

The original post would be a lot more impressive if I could catch him the first time. I'll try again when I have more time. BUT it's fucking NUTS DUDE!

EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

@jasonr86: Wait, WHAT?! I didn't even notice that dude in the two run throughs I went through. Dammit, now I kinda want to boot this game up again.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Sorry folks what you've just witnessed is swamp gas rising from the inland area, igniting as it interacts with sea air, creating forms and lights that people have been mistaking as malevolent spirits or God. Nothing to see here, move along. There is no mysterious wanderer on the coasts of Dear Esther, please return to your homes.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assumed it was Esther's ghost. Regardless, a very cool moment in the game, especially considering how easy it is to miss.

vikingdeath1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh man now I Totally have to go back to that game. I assumed I was alone in that world.

Elwoodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Sit tight, the black helicopters will be arriving shortly.

Honestly though, I know the Chinese Room gets a lot of shit for their interactive-art-game-instillation-thing but its cool how many little things you can see in Dear Esther, these ghosts are an excellent example.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By emprpngn

You should noclip and get a closeup shot.

stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's wild how many people are just now finding out about this. It was actually in the original version too, and there's a bunch of places where you can see him, though I'm not sure if his showing up is randomized like the voiceover bits. For example, I'm pretty sure he shows up at the top of the stairs in the lighthouse at the beginning sometimes. But yeah. It's pretty cool. Like it really gives the game this super creepy vibe when you think about how there's this shadowy figure who might show up around every corner. Especially when you figure in that creepy music that starts playing from time to time. I don't actually know what it's supposed to symbolize, since the story sort of means different things depending on how the voiceover plays itself out and whatnot. I kinda got the vibe that it was the narrator himself. But like I say, it's kinda hard to say.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.