Three people that went too soon?

#1 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Mine are Jimi Hendrix, Layne Staley, and Martin Luther King Jr. There's others as well, but these three really bring me down. What three people went too soon for you?

#2 Edited by jakob187 (21690 posts) -

Bill Hicks, Joe Strummer, and Jeff Healey.

And man, did we have more great folks than just Jeff Healey go this year or what?  Stan Winston, Bo Diddley, George Carlin, Estelle Getty, Skip Caray Jr, Bernie Mac, Issac Hayes, LeRoi Moore, Richard Wright, Paul muthafuckin Newman........

Hell, even Jack Reynolds died!!!

It's been a shitty year...
#3 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Bill Hicks, Joe Strummer, and Jeff Healey."
Joe Strummer is dead!?! FUCK, MAN!!!!
I agree with Bill Hicks, too, what a shame. Still, though . . . god damn.
#4 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Britney Spears and Paris hilton.

#5 Posted by Atlas (2454 posts) -

MLK Jr. is a good one. My other two would be John Bonham and Frederic Chopin. For those who don't know, Chopin died at 39 due to chronic pulmonary tuberculosis.

#6 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -

Some more fodder to add would be Gandhi, Edgar Allen Poe, and Freddie Mercury.

I really wouldn't advise listening to Alice in Chains while thinking about this. I'm really, really depressed.
#7 Posted by jakob187 (21690 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Bill Hicks, Joe Strummer, and Jeff Healey."
Joe Strummer is dead!?! FUCK, MAN!!!!
I agree with Bill Hicks, too, what a shame. Still, though . . . god damn.
"
Dood, Strummer died right before the Grammys in 2002...and he was nominated for, like, 3 awards.  It was fucking sad, man.  I balled my eyes out like a fucking sissy when he died.
#8 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

I honestly have no clue how listening to Alice in Chains and thinking about celebrity deaths can depress someone badly.

Not totally sure what mine are but Lennon and Mercury definitely went too soon.

#9 Posted by jakob187 (21690 posts) -

Man, no one has said Heath yet?  I'm almost fucking impressed!!!


Then again, once someone DOES say Heath...man, have I got a bomb for them!!!
#10 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"I honestly have no clue how listening to Alice in Chains and thinking about celebrity deaths can depress someone badly.

Not totally sure what mine are but Lennon and Mercury definitely went too soon."
Alice in Chains is so depressing to me just because I know that the fuel behind the songs ended up killing Staley. 
Forgot about Lennon. God, this topic is terrible.
#11 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Oh, I get yuh. I know like nothing about Alice in Chains.

#12 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -

-Madelyn Dunham, Barack Obama's grandmother died last night. I don't think I need to explain why that is so tragic.

-Tim Russert.

-Duane Allman.

#13 Posted by jakob187 (21690 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"-Madelyn Dunham, Barack Obama's grandmother died last night. I don't think I need to explain why that is so tragic."
Whoa.......heavy.
#14 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
DualReaver said:
"Oh, I get yuh. I know like nothing about Alice in Chains."
Every song they wrote was about drug abuse in a not so subtle way. So, yeah, it's depressing.BiggerBomb said:
"-Madelyn Dunham, Barack Obama's grandmother died last night. I don't think I need to explain why that is so tragic.
Fuck. I swear to God, I've never felt this badly in my life.
#15 Posted by DualReaver (3882 posts) -

Empathy for the loss.

#16 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I am so happy to see a lack of Heath Ledger mentions...

  • Freddie Mercury
  • Tim Russert
  • Phil Hartman (I am picking him because of the tragic way that he died) ...

@BiggerBomb: ...I agree that all death is tragic and that Madelyn Dunham's death is sad, but this is supposed to be people who went too soon. She died at the age of 86...That is a longer life than most people get to live...

#17 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -

Eddie Guerrero, Brandon Lee and The Dragon himself, Bruce Lee.

#18 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
Kush said:
"I am so happy to see a lack of Heath Ledger mentions...

  • Freddie Mercury
  • Tim Russert
  • Phil Hartman (I am picking him because of the tragic way that he died) ...

@BiggerBomb: ...I agree that all death is tragic and that Madelyn Dunham's death is sad, but this is supposed to be people who went too soon. She died at the age of 86...That is a longer life than most people get to live...

"

It's too soon because she died one day shy of her grandson possibly becoming the first African-American President of the United States of America. If you ask me, that's dying too soon.
#19 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
Kush said:
"I am so happy to see a lack of Heath Ledger mentions...

  • Freddie Mercury
  • Tim Russert
  • Phil Hartman (I am picking him because of the tragic way that he died) ...

@BiggerBomb: ...I agree that all death is tragic and that Madelyn Dunham's death is sad, but this is supposed to be people who went too soon. She died at the age of 86...That is a longer life than most people get to live...

"
She still went just days before her grandson possibly became the first black president. She would have been so proud. That means she did go too soon. A few weeks to soon, if only.
#20 Posted by jakob187 (21690 posts) -

Fuck, I totally FORGOT about Eddie!!!  That shit sucked...BUT...that's what you get when you smoke crack rocks.

Owen Wilson was a fucking tragedy, though...
#21 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Fuck, I totally FORGOT about Eddie!!!  That shit sucked...BUT...that's what you get when you smoke crack rocks.
Owen Wilson was a fucking tragedy, though...
"
Owen Wilson's still alive . . .
. . . O. I C wut u did thar.
#22 Edited by jakob187 (21690 posts) -
Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Fuck, I totally FORGOT about Eddie!!!  That shit sucked...BUT...that's what you get when you smoke crack rocks.
Owen Wilson was a fucking tragedy, though...
"
Owen Wilson's still alive . . .
. . . O. I C wut u did thar.
"
Um, no he's not, dood.  He fucking broke his neck off a stunt on WWE...right onto the turnbuckle, I believe...
Shit, I'm sorry...I was thinking of Owen Hart!!!  BWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I wouldn't give a fuck if Owen Wilson were dead...
#23 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Fuck, I totally FORGOT about Eddie!!!  That shit sucked...BUT...that's what you get when you smoke crack rocks.
Owen Wilson was a fucking tragedy, though...
"
Owen Wilson's still alive . . .
. . . O. I C wut u did thar.
"
Um, no he's not, dood.  He fucking broke his neck off a stunt on WWE...right onto the turnbuckle, I believe..."
What? Owen Wilson? This Owen Wilson?
#24 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Arkthemaniac said:
"jakob187 said:
"Fuck, I totally FORGOT about Eddie!!!  That shit sucked...BUT...that's what you get when you smoke crack rocks.
Owen Wilson was a fucking tragedy, though...
"
Owen Wilson's still alive . . .
. . . O. I C wut u did thar.
"
Um, no he's not, dood.  He fucking broke his neck off a stunt on WWE...right onto the turnbuckle, I believe..."

The actor? He's alive. Is there an Owen Wilson who was in the WWE? If so, they are not the same person.
#25 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

Chris Farley, Colin McRae

#26 Posted by jakob187 (21690 posts) -

Yeah, like I said, I was thinking of Owen Hart, Bret Hart's brother.

#27 Edited by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -

JFK, Kurt Cobain, and Bernie Mac, and many others. 

What is that "bomb" about Heath jakob?
#28 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Yeah, like I said, I was thinking of Owen Hart, Bret Hart's brother."

I typed my response as you were editing, apparently.

dsplayer1010 said:
"JFK, Kurt Cobain, and Bernie Mac, and many others. 
What is that "bomb" about Heath jakob?
"

I'm not saying his death wasn't tragic, I do have to ask why you think he deserves a spot next to JFK and Kurt Cobain (which are odd comparisons as is.)
#29 Posted by HandsomeDead (11863 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"Fuck, I totally FORGOT about Eddie!!!  That shit sucked...BUT...that's what you get when you smoke crack rocks."
Eddie was just on painkillers and alcohol, wasn't he? I say 'just' but it works in context. It's incredibly tragic though how he got himself back on the straight and narrow and then dies just before his second big run on the top when you have people who are just junkie addict wastes living for ever.
#30 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
HandsomeDead said:
"jakob187 said:
"Fuck, I totally FORGOT about Eddie!!!  That shit sucked...BUT...that's what you get when you smoke crack rocks."
Eddie was just on painkillers and alcohol, wasn't he? I say 'just' but it works in context. It's incredibly tragic though how he got himself back on the straight and narrow and then dies just before his second big run on the top when you have people who are just junkie addict wastes living for ever."
Seriously, think about that while listening to this and you may feel what I'm feeling.
#31 Posted by Vinchenzo (6192 posts) -

Bernie Mac seemed to go before his age. Not that fond of him as an actor, but in Transformers and Bad Santa he had some funny lines to throw around. It's just weird to see commercials for the upcoming movie he was in, with him being dead already.

#32 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8609 posts) -

HEATH LEDGER.

Tim Russert, Jimi Hendrix, JFK.
#33 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
RHCPfan24 said:
"HEATH LEDGER.
Tim Russert, Jimi Hendrix, JFK.
"
Oh no you didn't.
#34 Edited by jakob187 (21690 posts) -

No one else wants to be depressed, Ark.  That's why we're reminiscing instead of harping on it.


*REEDITTING*

Look, for anyone who say "Heath Ledger", you obviously never watched his fucking movies...because the dood was total ass.  After his death, all these people talked about how he was an inspiration and all this shit.  An inspiration for what?  Shitty acting and bad movie choice?  Trust me, if this year in movies is any indication, I can see that "inspiration" pretty fucking clearly.

"But he was in Brokeback Mountain and he was The Joker".  Yep, and Brokeback Mountain was a shitty movie as is.  Tossing aside the fact that it's about gay cowboys, because like that should fucking matter anyways...it was a shitty love story and you end up feeling horrible about all the people these two selfish fucking pricks ended up hurting along the way.  As for The Joker...yeah, he was a good Joker.  He obviously realized he was a good Joker.  He knew he wasn't going to be able to outdo it.  So he mixed up his celebration cocktail a little stronger than usual and he croaked.

Now, am I saying that I think it's great that a human life was lost?  No.  That would be far too assholish of me.  However, I hate that people put this fucker on some kind of pedestal like he was worth something.  This is the same fucking dood that acted in 10 Things I Hate About You, A Knight's Tale, The Order...I mean, fucking seriously?  And people make him out like he's something amazing?  Just because he donned the green hair and the red smile and pulled a Brandon Lee (he's another one that I sit back and go "what the fuck are you people talking about")?!?!  Fuck that shit.
#35 Posted by dsplayer1010 (2227 posts) -
BiggerBomb said:
"jakob187 said:
"Yeah, like I said, I was thinking of Owen Hart, Bret Hart's brother."

I typed my response as you were editing, apparently.

dsplayer1010 said:
"JFK, Kurt Cobain, and Bernie Mac, and many others. 
What is that "bomb" about Heath jakob?
"

I'm not saying his death wasn't tragic, I do have to ask why you think he deserves a spot next to JFK and Kurt Cobain (which are odd comparisons as is.)"
What Vinchenzo said.
#36 Posted by BiggerBomb (6944 posts) -
dsplayer1010 said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"jakob187 said:
"Yeah, like I said, I was thinking of Owen Hart, Bret Hart's brother."

I typed my response as you were editing, apparently.

dsplayer1010 said:
"JFK, Kurt Cobain, and Bernie Mac, and many others. 
What is that "bomb" about Heath jakob?
"

I'm not saying his death wasn't tragic, I do have to ask why you think he deserves a spot next to JFK and Kurt Cobain (which are odd comparisons as is.)"
What Vinchenzo said."

What did Vinchenzo say?
#37 Posted by Arkthemaniac (6535 posts) -
jakob187 said:
"No one else wants to be depressed, Ark.  That's why we're reminiscing instead of harping on it.
Yeah, sorry for bringing down the mood. Death really doesn't sadden me. I think of it as a natural step in life that we all take. But, in the same way that I feel about a kid losing his virginity at age 7, I feel really concerned for the human condition when I think about all these people that went so soon.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.