Deathspank Impressions and Opinions

#1 Edited by ProfessorEss (7376 posts) -

An instant buy after playing two minutes of the demo.
I've been craving something exactly like this for a while now and man oh man does it deliver.

I have no idea how long it is or how varied it gets but the four hours I played it last night have already justified the 15 smackers.

Soo awesome, only negative thing I'd to say is that I would suck a blankity blank's blank dry for this game to have full four-player co-op.

#2 Posted by Crono11 (1650 posts) -

I'm really loving it too. I've gotten a lot of laughs which I wasn't really expecting. I knew it was a "funny" game but I very rarely actually find them funny.

#3 Edited by Chaser324 (6550 posts) -

It's pretty hard not to buy this game after playing the demo. It's basically a funnier console version of Torchlight, or Diablo starring Captain Qwark. I'm really enjoying it.

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by Ultimadark (150 posts) -

I bought it after playing the demo as well. I find the cut scenes funny, but the dialogues are just too slow...

#5 Posted by tactis (354 posts) -

its amazing, I think easily the best game on Arcade for me love the jokes, the combat is satisfying, the graphics are spectacular and 8-10 hours is an amazing amount of content for a $15 game. I hope they make many many more sequels of this!!!

#6 Edited by ProfessorEss (7376 posts) -
@tactis said:

I hope they make many many more sequels of this!!! "

Hells yeah.
I know they mentioned that Deathspank "will not be episodic" but has there been any talk of DLC potential?
#7 Posted by tactis (354 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" @tactis said:

I hope they make many many more sequels of this!!! "

Hells yeah.
I know they mentioned that Deathspank "will not be episodic" but has there been any talk of DLC potential? "
So gamespot interviewed Ron Gilbert on the last HotSpot and they brought up a sequel and Ron said he couldn't say anything about any future plans I really hope sequels will come. 
#8 Posted by Mysterysheep (361 posts) -

Fairly bizarre ending but I really enjoyed it. At first, the humour seems kind of forced but it gets better later on.

#9 Posted by YoThatLimp (1910 posts) -

Did anyone have there eyes straining while playing? Maybe it was my level of sleepiness but man my eyes were sore 30 minutes into it. 

#10 Posted by Droop (1879 posts) -

I felt a bit of a strain that I normally don't. The camera and the world movement is kinda strange. 

But its a great game. Very funny and gameplay is good. The voice acting is spot on too.

#11 Edited by Insectecutor (1186 posts) -

Him getting increasingly pissed off with the fisherman was good.

@Metalideth: I got this until I started could zooming the camera in with the right stick for fights and zooming back out for roaming around. Kinda wish that was a little more automatic.

#12 Posted by lilman1101 (1066 posts) -

Is it worth the $20 price?

#13 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@lilman1101 said:
" Is it worth the $20 price? "
If by 20 you mean 15, yes it is.
#14 Posted by lilman1101 (1066 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:
" @lilman1101 said:
If by 20 you mean 15, yes it is. "
It's not $15 everywhere in the world.
#15 Posted by Cincaid (2956 posts) -
@lilman1101 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
" @lilman1101 said:
It's not $15 everywhere in the world. "
Didn't know that. :(
Well, if you enjoy a hack-and-slash game with silly (sometimes too much) humour I'd say go for it. I love it so far, wouldn't think twice even if it cost $20.
#16 Posted by lilman1101 (1066 posts) -
@CrazyChris said:
" @lilman1101 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
" @lilman1101 said:
Didn't know that. :( Well, if you enjoy a hack-and-slash game with silly (sometimes too much) humour I'd say go for it. I love it so far, wouldn't think twice even if it cost $20. "
Don't worry about that and cheers for the help, i shall be picking it up next time i'm at EB or JB.
#17 Posted by fox01313 (5073 posts) -

Liking what I've seen so far of the humor/writing, found that there's some spiking difficulty at times where things at or below your level will either kill you in a few hits, getting through some mines past demons to hit boss that I can't get past at the moment (finding the previous demons respawned when finally deciding to leave to return later) or like the ghosts immune to most of your attacks.

#18 Posted by SpaceDandie (256 posts) -

just beat it....I'm in love.

#19 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

I just reached the first town. I love it so far. Like, really, really love it. I didn't expect to, never really enjoyed a downloadable game, but my Ron Gilbert fandom spurred on a blind buy of this. Really great. The combat is addicting and I love the look and personality of the game.

#20 Posted by damswedon (3191 posts) -
#21 Posted by leviathan (197 posts) -
@lilman1101 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
" @lilman1101 said:
" @CrazyChris said:
" @lilman1101 said:
Didn't know that. :( Well, if you enjoy a hack-and-slash game with silly (sometimes too much) humour I'd say go for it. I love it so far, wouldn't think twice even if it cost $20. "
Don't worry about that and cheers for the help, i shall be picking it up next time i'm at EB or JB. "
You realise it's downloadable only, and not available at stores.... Unless you mean buying a points card
#22 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

This game was not on my radar for a purchase but it sounds like I might have to give it some second thought.

#23 Posted by Carlsen (34 posts) -

Maybe I should check this out. 

Ron Gilbert has left Hothead Games, so at least he won't be in charge of any potential sequels.

#24 Posted by hedfone (1751 posts) -

the unfunnyness killed that game for me

#25 Posted by EggPuppet (62 posts) -
@Carlsen said:
" Maybe I should check this out.   Ron Gilbert has left Hothead Games, so at least he won't be in charge of any potential sequels. "
Does that mean we're safe?
#26 Edited by CookieMonster (2417 posts) -

I really wanted to like this game, it seemed like something different. Yet within minutes, I was bored with the hack-n-slash style combat, unless its a lot deeper than I realised.

#27 Posted by nywt (439 posts) -

I enjoyed the game quite a lot even though I wasn't laughing too much while playing it. Some of the "breaking the fourth wall" jokes were really good except when in reference to fetch quests. This game is one giant fetch quest, especially when you rescue the orphan from the Minion Mines or speak with the talking tree in the Enchanted Forest.

#28 Posted by JSwan13 (282 posts) -

I'm loving the game so far! I'm about 1 1/2 hours in, the humor isn't really that funny and i'm finding it hard to pick which weapons to equip and which to grind, but the checkbox for best armor is very helpfull.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.