Thoughts on Puzzle Quest 2 and Deathspank

Posted by rentfn (1277 posts) -

I played a lot, maybe too much, Puzzle Quest on the DS. I took it where ever I went. It was a nice game to veg out to. When it came out on Live Arcade something in me made me insta-buy it. Since I was so used to playing it on the small screen I found it weird playing it with a controller and on my TV. I had to think about which platform I wanted to get the sequel for. My DS is collecting dust on my table with an unplayed copy of Bowser's Inside story next to it. I decided to go for the Live Arcade version of Puzzle Quest 2...well let's face it. I need points. 

I never played  Galactrix and I didn't check out the Puzzle game on PC so it's been awhile since I've played these games. That is part of the reason I am having a blast playing it. There is a story...but I'm not really playing attention to it. I'm following in the footsteps of a Paladin. The map took a little bit to get used to but once you do it's fine. It's a great game to veg out to and listen to music OR like I am doing, catching up on Podcasts. I am playing a Barbarian and I've figured out a good spell rotation to defeat the baddies. The bashing doors and loot mini-games are a nice addition. The loot element is ok although I don't change my weapons that often...which might be bad. I found a powerful weapon and want to keep it. I've played for about 6 hours and I would recommend it to anyone who played the first one or any version of this type of game.

If you tell me Ron Gilbert is making a game, I will hang you however much money you want as long as you point me in the direction of said game. The humor is good. The combat is decent. The inventory is a little annoying. I like the idea of killing minions to charge up your weapon. The only downside is I'll use it up on a barrel or a lower level baddie. I thought Torchlight had a great idea with giving the loot you don't want to your pet and they run to town for you. This game takes it a step further and allows you to grind up the loot you don't need or have upgraded and turns it into money (patent pending). The game also looks good. It reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy because the worlds are  circular and move as you do. The world doesn't totally spin around like Galaxy but it has that feeling. If you enjoyed Torchlight I would recommend this game.

With Puzzle Quest and Deathspank coming out back to back and next week kicking off "The Summer of Arcade" downloadable games are taking up my time. I've still been playing Crackdown 2 a little but when i turn on the X-Box I go right to my games library. I've been excited for Limbo for about three years. I got to play a little bit of it at PAXEast in April. It might be the game I'm looking forward to the most this year. I really hope it delivers. Even if it doesn't buying a 360 is worth it just for the titles you can download in Arcade.

#1 Posted by rentfn (1277 posts) -

I played a lot, maybe too much, Puzzle Quest on the DS. I took it where ever I went. It was a nice game to veg out to. When it came out on Live Arcade something in me made me insta-buy it. Since I was so used to playing it on the small screen I found it weird playing it with a controller and on my TV. I had to think about which platform I wanted to get the sequel for. My DS is collecting dust on my table with an unplayed copy of Bowser's Inside story next to it. I decided to go for the Live Arcade version of Puzzle Quest 2...well let's face it. I need points. 

I never played  Galactrix and I didn't check out the Puzzle game on PC so it's been awhile since I've played these games. That is part of the reason I am having a blast playing it. There is a story...but I'm not really playing attention to it. I'm following in the footsteps of a Paladin. The map took a little bit to get used to but once you do it's fine. It's a great game to veg out to and listen to music OR like I am doing, catching up on Podcasts. I am playing a Barbarian and I've figured out a good spell rotation to defeat the baddies. The bashing doors and loot mini-games are a nice addition. The loot element is ok although I don't change my weapons that often...which might be bad. I found a powerful weapon and want to keep it. I've played for about 6 hours and I would recommend it to anyone who played the first one or any version of this type of game.

If you tell me Ron Gilbert is making a game, I will hang you however much money you want as long as you point me in the direction of said game. The humor is good. The combat is decent. The inventory is a little annoying. I like the idea of killing minions to charge up your weapon. The only downside is I'll use it up on a barrel or a lower level baddie. I thought Torchlight had a great idea with giving the loot you don't want to your pet and they run to town for you. This game takes it a step further and allows you to grind up the loot you don't need or have upgraded and turns it into money (patent pending). The game also looks good. It reminds me of Super Mario Galaxy because the worlds are  circular and move as you do. The world doesn't totally spin around like Galaxy but it has that feeling. If you enjoyed Torchlight I would recommend this game.

With Puzzle Quest and Deathspank coming out back to back and next week kicking off "The Summer of Arcade" downloadable games are taking up my time. I've still been playing Crackdown 2 a little but when i turn on the X-Box I go right to my games library. I've been excited for Limbo for about three years. I got to play a little bit of it at PAXEast in April. It might be the game I'm looking forward to the most this year. I really hope it delivers. Even if it doesn't buying a 360 is worth it just for the titles you can download in Arcade.

#2 Posted by GreyRiot (5 posts) -

I'm right there with you. These 3 games are the highlight of my summer gaming.
I only wish Deathspank had online coop.

#3 Posted by radioactivez0r (829 posts) -

I'm sad that all the kickass XBL games are releasing within a couple months, how many points do they think I have!?!?

#4 Posted by rentfn (1277 posts) -

XBLA has really been impressing me. It's a bummer that the prices keep going up but fifteen bucks each are worth it for these games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.