Wrong aspect ratio?

#1 Posted by TomTheRealist (171 posts) -

So I'm playing the DeathSpank demo. I've changed the screen size in the options to fit perfectly my 1280x1024 monitor, but it still seems wrong. It seems the game's in 4:3 and is being stretched.  
Anyone else noticing this? Or have I gone maaaaAaD?

#2 Posted by BionicMonster (1032 posts) -

dont think the devs expacted it to be played on a crazy sized PC monitor
#3 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

1280x1024 is a fairly common resolution. I played it and didn't notice anything looking terribly stretched (and I usually do), but I'd have to look again.

I'm fairly sure the screen size options should actually be labeled "HUD border." I don't think it has anything to do with rendering the game world.

#4 Posted by Kato (159 posts) -

What console? The Xbox only has 4:3 and 16:9 options (at least with HDMI, I think other options may be available with VGA), not sure about PS3. 

#5 Posted by TomTheRealist (171 posts) -

What console? 360. 
And yeah, it's not a crazy resolution at all. The 360 supports it, end of. 
It simply seems to be that it's 4:3 being stretched to 16:9. 

Just to be clear, I have NO problems with other games - my monitor is fully supported, and yeah my xbox is configured correctly. 

Hmmmmmmmm...

#6 Posted by Infininja (881 posts) -

I've certainly seen games display a 16:9 signal on my 5:4 (that is, after all, the ratio of 1280x1024) monitor - curse you Oblivion.

This didn't seem to be one of them.

But I forgot to go back and look.

#7 Posted by TomTheRealist (171 posts) -

Hummenah, hummenah, hummenah. 

I'd've played Oblivion in all sorts of messed up squished aspect ratios.  
Ah well - after reading several reviews, I think I'll give it a miss. There are so many seemingly good, well received arcade games this summer; I simply can't afford to get a mediocre one aswell. 
 I'm wondering whether trial games get the same updates as their full version counter-parts? And whether this problem has been resolved by now. Who knows. 

Thanks anyway guys!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.