Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deep Down

Game » consists of 0 releases.

A medieval fantasy game for PlayStation 4 from Capcom, using the new Panta Rhei engine.

Is Deep Down the Neverending Soulsian Game?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

After over a month with Dark Souls 2, and over a hundred hours of playtime, I've grown a little weary of it - which is only natural. However, how much of that is because of the limitations of handcrafted content? I look to a game like Cryptic's Neverwinter MMO, which relies heavily on content created by its userbase. If a game such as that had tight combat mechanics and interesting character progression systems like Dark Souls 2, I could indeed see myself playing such a game ad-infinitum.

While Deep Down doesn't have user created content, as far as we know, it's supposedly all about randomized dungeons and monsters, and is much like the Diablo games in that way. From what we've seen of it gameplay-wise, its combat mechanics are going to be super-tight - like pin-point accurate, allowing to target individual joints and even the enemy's equipment. Knocking weapons out of their hands, or stabbing them in the knee. That seems to me like a super-potent combination of ingredients right there.

Might Deep Down be the holy grail? The Soulsian gameplay experience that never grows stale? Randomized enemies and dungeons keeping me on my toes always? Free 2 Play model for a steady stream of new content, so I'm not reliant on the next big iteration of the franchise to hit the shelves to get an all fresh fix - at least as long as it succeeds in the marketplace? Like new tilesets and enemy types and mutators all the time?

I'm just starving for some Deep Down news at this point. Whatever happend to the Japanese beta?

-Here's some Gameplay, in case you've missed it-

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy cow. I've actually never seen the footage above. It looks so god damn good. And the gameplay looks so very reminiscent of Dark Souls, only so much better. And I love Dark Souls. Jesus. Must-play ASAP.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Sterling

I hadn't seen that video before either. That looks fantastic. I was put off by the F2P. But maybe they can make this work. Well, until it turned into monster hunter at the end with the boss and four real people. That made me lose all the hype that the first part of the video built up.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@seppli said:

Holy cow. I've actually never seen the footage above. It looks so god damn good. And the gameplay looks so very reminiscent of Dark Souls, only so much better. And I love Dark Souls. Jesus. Must-play ASAP.

And most importantly its free, and clean too. You can't go wrong with free baby. Either you'll like it or hate it with no regrets.

Loading Video...

Its like a nextgen demon souls. What could possibly go wrong?

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Seppli

@sterling said:

I hadn't seen that video before either. That looks fantastic. I was put off by the F2P. But maybe they can make this work. Well, until it turned into monster hunter at the end with the boss and four real people. That made me lose all the hype that the first part of the video built up.

I think its coop element will be more like in the Souls franchise, rather than like Monster Hunter. Remember that first trailer with that wierd-ass Blanka avatar calling for help? Sounds like summons to me.

It's pretty obvious to me Capcom is going after the Souls franchise hard with Deep Down. They want their pound of flesh of that emerging market.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By RonGalaxy

The gameplay doesnt look similar to dark souls at all. For starters, it looks like its using RE4 tank controls (not sure if that's what its called, but whatever), and the attack mechanism is completely different. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a game that lets you aim melee attacks in that way; it looks pretty fucking slick, actually (parry, go for the knees, then the head). Wonder how it would work for something besides a spear (which kind of makes sense as you poke people, rather than slash).

Also, I'm so fucking glad for new consoles. I don't think I've been as impressed by a gameplay video since they showed off the uncharted 2 train level. Games were getting very stale for a long stretch there, and Im so glad new consoles will bring refreshing and exciting things to the table (what really did it for me was when he froze the dragon and everything, including the amazing flame effects, froze completely. and then he cast those spells, which also froze in place until time started again. Don't think I've ever seen something like that before. very impressive)

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@seppli said:

@sterling said:

I think its coop element will be more like in the Souls franchise, rather than like Monster Hunter. Remember that first trailer with that wierd-ass Blanka avatar calling for help? Sounds like summons to me.

It's pretty obvious to me Capcom is going after the Souls franchise hard with Deep Down. They want their pound of flesh of that emerging market.

Well see. I'll check it out for sure when it comes out. But I am back and forth on it. I guess we just need more details this E3.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Seppli

@narujoe93 said:

The gameplay doesnt look similar to dark souls at all. For starters, it looks like its using RE4 tank controls (not sure if that's what its called, but whatever), and the attack mechanism is completely different. Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a game that lets you aim melee attacks in that way; it looks pretty fucking slick, actually (parry, go for the knees, then the head). Wonder how it would work for something besides a spear (which kind of makes sense as you poke people, rather than slash).

Also, I'm so fucking glad for new consoles. I don't think I've been as impressed by a gameplay video since they showed off the uncharted 2 train level. Games were getting very stale for a long stretch there, and Im so glad new consoles will bring refreshing and exciting things to the table (what really did it for me was when he froze the dragon and everything, including the amazing flame effects, froze completely. and then he cast those spells, which also froze in place until time started again. Don't think I've ever seen something like that before. very impressive)

Reticle targeting aside (which is a plus in my book), the gameplay is pretty much a carbon-copy of the souls games, at least in my eyes.

I'd also like to believe we'll get weapon-specific reticles depending on moveset. Likely with mutators, to switch between swiping/overhead/thrust attacks.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By audioBusting

The visual mood and armor design do look a bit like Dark Souls, but nothing else looks similar to me. It looks a lot like Resident Evil 4+ in terms of how it plays, and the visual direction actually reminds me more of Dead Space than anything else. I'm pretty excited for it too, but I don't feel like it's going to provide a Souls-like experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.