Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Deep Down

Game » consists of 0 releases.

A medieval fantasy game for PlayStation 4 from Capcom, using the new Panta Rhei engine.

Your knee-jerk reaction to Deep Down being a free to play game?

• 80 results
    SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Poll Your knee-jerk reaction to Deep Down being a free to play game? (237 votes)

Very good news! I'd much rather have this instead of a retail version. 2%
    Could go either way, but I think it will be a good thing 30%
    Could go either way, but I don't think that sounds good 45%
    This will ruin the game. 23%

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/381250930491928576

I must admit, I didn't see that announcement coming. Much like Capcom is working with Microsoft to develop Dead Rising 3 as an Xbox One exclusive, they're doing the same thing with Sony and Deep Down on the PS4.

This should be interesting.

• 
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I'm absolutely fine with it as long as the payment model makes sense.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

My option isn't there. It's: "Eh."

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

I'm a bit baffled, to be honest.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Free to play just wow capcom. I wasn't even expecting it at all for this game.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Loading Video...

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Feelin' all types of indifferent.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

"Eh."

Could be good, could be bad. Too early to say.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

wow, pretty surprised that its free to play, but based on the footage from tgs, doesnt really look like a 60 dollar game.

automatontribe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have my doubts that Capcom could come up with a compelling free to play model but we'll just have to wait and see.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm. I don't know how I feel about that. That's the last direction I thought it'd go in.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Hmm. I don't know how I feel about that. That's the last direction I thought it'd go in.

Given Capcom's current financial state, I can't say that I'm surprised. Making the game free-to-play could pay higher dividends down the road than banking a ton of money on a new $60 retail IP that could fail just as hard as other recent Capcom duds.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GaspoweR

It's all about that DOTA/CANDY CRUSH/LOL MONEY DOG. :P

Seriously though, the free-to-play model is virtually not as successful in the console space though the microtransaction model has been proven to work in other retail titles such as in Mass Effect 3. Other free-to-play titles as of late such as Dust 514 haven't been successful and in addition, they're not going to be the only title in that space when it launches since Warframe is coming to PS4 as well.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

The fact that it is an MMO is a dealbreaker for me.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go for it. I don't know if this game could be that successful if it is another fantasy action game at $60.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@themanwithnoplan said:

Given Capcom's current financial state, I can't say that I'm surprised. Making the game free-to-play could pay higher dividends down the road than banking a ton of money on a new $60 retail IP that could fail just as hard as other recent Capcom duds.

Sure. I can see how that makes financial sense for them. We'll just have to see how it ultimately turns out.

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..... I am scratching my chin here wondering what the hell they were thinking. Maybe they want to ape phantasy star online, who knows? We will have to see but this makes me less optimistic about the game itself.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could be ok. I love Warframe, DCUO is a good time, as is Neverwinter.

If they come up with a model somewhat similar to Warframe, you could never spend a dime and literally not miss any content or gameplay affecting items, nor have to grind terribly to get them. Or you could spend $100s of dollars just to speed everything up to instantly obtaining them (and have a bright pink character).

I'll optimistically hope for them to come up with something similar to that.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#19  Edited By DarthOrange

Man your poll options always suck.

Pretty much this.

ModernAlkemie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I am just so tired in general of free to play games. Just let me purchase your game and have that be the end of the transaction.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

@darthorange said:

@fluxwavez said:

Pretty much this.

If you're unwilling to form an opinion, you're welcome to not reply to my threads. When you voted in the last election, did you write "Eh" or "I'm not sure" instead of picking a candidate?

I thought "could go either way, but..." was enough for you indecisive people, but I guess you won't be truly happy until you can give absolutely no opinion whatsoever, which you could do simply by not posting in this thread.

I realize that we don't have anywhere near enough information to make up our minds about this right now, but the poll is designed to get an idea of people's opinions based on what little we know. If the poll is largely positive, that's good news for Capcom. If it's negative, that might not be such good news for Capcom, and they'll have to work that much harder to convince people that their game is free to play, not pay to win.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

"They must not be very confident in this game or its potential critical response."

In less articulate words, I guess.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By monetarydread

Who was really surprised by this announcement? Free-to-play is the future of payment models in the game industry. Just look at the top grossing games section on the iPhone as a perfect example. Every game in the top-20 most profitable games is free-to-play. Then there is the MMO scene, free-to-play is killing MMO's that charge a subscription fee. Then you look at PC games and how they are increasingly being designed with a "games as service," model. This is the future of video games from here on out, whether you like it or not because free-to-play means more money for developers.

Edit: Just double checked my iPhone. In the Canadian App Store Infinity Blade III is sitting at number 5, but the next 'for pay,' app is Minecraft at #25, then Grindr Xtra at #55. Unfortunately, there is only 31 paid-apps in the entire Top 300 highest grossing titles on the app store.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Andorski

I have no issue with F2P... I just don't think Capcom knows anything about structuring a F2P business model.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What????? Oh noes D: , definitely not playing this game , dont want to give the idead that all games must be F2P on PS4 , so Im voting with my ...er... wallet unnnndowloading? Yes non downloading.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#26  Edited By DarthOrange

@darthorange said:

@fluxwavez said:

Pretty much this.

If you're unwilling to form an opinion, you're welcome to not reply to my threads. When you voted in the last election, did you write "Eh" or "I'm not sure" instead of picking a candidate?

I thought "could go either way, but..." was enough for you indecisive people, but I guess you won't be truly happy until you can give absolutely no opinion whatsoever, which you could do simply by not posting in this thread.

I realize that we don't have anywhere near enough information to make up our minds about this right now, but the poll is designed to get an idea of people's opinions based on what little we know. If the poll is largely positive, that's good news for Capcom. If it's negative, that might not be such good news for Capcom, and they'll have to work that much harder to convince people that their game is free to play, not pay to win.

lol

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#27  Edited By audioBusting

If it brings more people into this type of games, then I'm all for it. If the business model is fine, having more people playing the multiplayer would be great.

edit: Oh, this makes more sense now.

“In the next three to five years, the next-generation consoles will be released, and I believe that F2P (free-to-play) titles will be a big part of it,” expresses Ichii.

Avatar image for roarimadinosaur
    RoarImaDinosaur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RoarImaDinosaur

@andorski: I feel the same way. It was no surprise since they released the tid bit of tie in mobile game and it makes perfect sense from a business perspective. The game is pretty much a co-op game that emphasizes loot, big monsters and has animation priority all over it. This looks like a perfect product for the Japanese market and I expect it to do well for Capcom there. Personally I am still holding out hope and look forward to seeing how it will perform in the west when it shows up.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I didn't know about this until after I listened to the 8-4 Play podcast where everyone was saying Deep Down was the only game that truly looked next gen on either PS4 or Xbox One, so my reaction to the F2P news is simply hoping they don't mess up the balance of the game to drive people to pay more than they would for a retail game. So my choice isn't present in the poll.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Seppli

I'm shocked. From my past experiences with Free 2 Play games, longterm viability and pacing always suffers. That said, I've never spent money on Free 2 Play, because I don't have online distributable cash on PC. I can fill my PSN wallet with code cards.

Overall, my excitement is dampened somewhat, but I can also see how this might be better for the game's future in the longrun. Personally, I'll just play too much of it early on, and move on before any of that matters to me anyways.

I'm not fond of Free 2 Play at all. Could be that I'll change my tune, now that it has reached consoles. A platfrom where I actually have money to possibly spend on Free 2 Play.

benpicko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By benpicko

Well at least I'll freely be able to jizz all over my TV when I see the graphics in real time.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Capcom is desperate for some more cash. F2P is the bait and catch to potentially make consumers pay more than what they would regularly pay for a $60 product through micro-transactions.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We barely know what the game is at this point.

Personally i was turned off more by the whole "its the future and you're doing assassin creed reliving memories bullshit" again. Cus im sick of that. Hell i wish AC would ditch the whole future bullshit too.

So free-to-play is a concern, and the whole future bullshit is a HUGE concern. Basically killed all my hype for the game.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I'm honestly surprised at how many games are doing the whole free to play thing now.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ares42

I have absolutely no confidence in f2p games. There are exceptions ofc but they are few and far between, and even the few f2p games I've played that I enjoyed I'd like more if they weren't.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Let's be honest here: Capcom has enough problems in making a fair Pay2Play game already. So trusting they won't completely fuck up a F2P game is a bit naiv. However I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt and won't write the game completely off. Impress me Capcom.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Westerners will pay anywhere 10-50usd (and even more through unofficial channels) for a nice hat and costume in a game, which is almost half the price of a complete triple-A title, so I'm not too shocked that Capcom wants to dip their weird, lumpy toes into this.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wtf is deep down?

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I despise this trend. Good thing I wasn't hyped for this shit anyways.

Nilazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I despise this trend. Good thing I wasn't hyped for this shit anyways.

ME3 multiplayer was pretty fun, and was essentially a free to play game sold alongside a retail game. It's the reason that all the multiplayer DLC was free, and I never gave EA a single extra penny to play that game for well over 100 hours.

Free to play isn't always a bad thing.

sadsadsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Explains why the TGS demo looks so basic, series of corridors and 1? type of monster.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CptBedlam

I'm not going to touch it as a F2P and online-only game. Simple as that. Suck it deep down, Capcom.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SpaceInsomniac

I'm not going to touch it as a F2P and online-only game. Simple as that. Suck it deep down, Capcom.

Because you were expecting something else and view this as a disappointment, or because this is a universal opinion? Do you feel the same way about Warframe?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cptbedlam said:

Because you were expecting something else and view this as a disappointment, or because this is a universal opinion? Do you feel the same way about Warframe?

I think a game designed around a monetization model is inherently flawed (unless the microtransactions are exclusively of cosmetic nature).

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I plan to have a look at it, I will have a PS4 needing games anyways, but I do not enjoy the F2P model. Even the best options, like Dota and League of Legends, I would rather just pay up front and not have any content held back from me.

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ares42

@pazy said:

Even the best options, like Dota and League of Legends, I would rather just pay up front and not have any content held back from me.

Exactly. Even though I've never spent money on anything like that I just always have a bad reaction when a game prompts me for money. Having a game regularly trying to sell me stuff (which is the basis of f2p) directly ruins my enjoyment of the game, it's just that easy.

Actually, after thinking about it I just realized why I don't like f2p games, they are games with ads. Sure, they might not be advertising cars or coke or whatever, but they are straight up games financed by ads.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my knee-jerk reaction is fuuuuuck that

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Dixavd

My knee-jerk reaction was "What's Deep Down?"; then I checked and I chose the second one as this means I might at least try it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Free to Play means a ton of grinding so no thanks. I like WarFrame but that game would be a lot better if it wasn't wrapped up in free-to-play shenanigans where arbitrary unlockables like scarves are being introduced before important gameplay hotfixes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.