Volition Job Listing Points To New RPG Franchise

• 50 results
Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The studio behind Saints Row and Red Faction is working on a new "action role-playing" franchise, according to a recent design director job posting on its official website. Volition's most recent dealings with the genre came in the form of the Summoner series, which saw releases for the PS2.

Details are scarce, as job ads aren't exactly press releases, but there's a notable mention that Volition isn't going at this project alone, and appears to suggest that the collaboration isn't with another video game studio. From the ad:

Volition is searching for a Design Director for a new action role-playing game. We are collaborating with a high-powered creative talent in the entertainment industry to develop this original, unannounced franchise. The successful candidate will have a proven track record leading design teams and creating AAA-quality player experiences.       

You may remember Summoner as the game that went viral before viral was viral. Remember this?

== TEASER ==File this under "pure speculation," but it's possible that this RPG could be the fruit of the alleged partnership between THQ and visionary director Guillermo del Toro. The LA Times recently reported that the "big deal" partnership Del Toro mentioned in an earlier MTV interview was indeed with THQ as speculated. And the tag "high-powered creative talent" certainly jives with what the director has accomplished with other media.   

The LA Times report asserted that the deal between del Toro and THQ was close to being finalized, so perhaps we'll learn soon enough if these pieces fit as well as they seem to. Also, consider this: an RPG that has monsters with eyeball hands. It's like a dream come true, right?
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

The studio behind Saints Row and Red Faction is working on a new "action role-playing" franchise, according to a recent design director job posting on its official website. Volition's most recent dealings with the genre came in the form of the Summoner series, which saw releases for the PS2.

Details are scarce, as job ads aren't exactly press releases, but there's a notable mention that Volition isn't going at this project alone, and appears to suggest that the collaboration isn't with another video game studio. From the ad:

Volition is searching for a Design Director for a new action role-playing game. We are collaborating with a high-powered creative talent in the entertainment industry to develop this original, unannounced franchise. The successful candidate will have a proven track record leading design teams and creating AAA-quality player experiences.       

You may remember Summoner as the game that went viral before viral was viral. Remember this?

== TEASER ==File this under "pure speculation," but it's possible that this RPG could be the fruit of the alleged partnership between THQ and visionary director Guillermo del Toro. The LA Times recently reported that the "big deal" partnership Del Toro mentioned in an earlier MTV interview was indeed with THQ as speculated. And the tag "high-powered creative talent" certainly jives with what the director has accomplished with other media.   

The LA Times report asserted that the deal between del Toro and THQ was close to being finalized, so perhaps we'll learn soon enough if these pieces fit as well as they seem to. Also, consider this: an RPG that has monsters with eyeball hands. It's like a dream come true, right?
#2 Edited by fwylo (3556 posts) -

First. 

No quest for you.

#3 Posted by Vinny_Says (5719 posts) -

nice

#4 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -

Whenever I see the name Volition pop up I reinstall Freespace. 
This is one of those moments.

#5 Posted by Forcen (1836 posts) -

That video is a classic!

#6 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

I didn't really think RPGs were Voilition's forte. I'd much rather see them working on action games. Plus THQ has enough RPGs coming with Space Marine and the Vigil Games game.

#7 Edited by PjotrLeschenko (110 posts) -

I'm pretty sure viral marketing( or viral videos not pretty sure what you mean) was happening waaay before this video.

#8 Posted by evanbrau (1162 posts) -

Oh Volition, please make another Freespace game.

#9 Posted by MisterMouse (3560 posts) -

a good "viral" video.

#10 Posted by Doctorchimp (4078 posts) -

I'm excited to see what Del Toro wants to do with a game. 

Dude knows how to do fantasy.

#11 Posted by Pakorn (183 posts) -

I want them to make a game where you play D&D as Red Faction, Summoner and Freespace characters

#12 Posted by Bozzvegas (23 posts) -

LOL! Too much!

#13 Posted by OneLetter (17 posts) -

I'm attacking the darkness!

#14 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

I loved the Summoner games. They were one of the first RPGs I ever got into. Before them I wasn't really into tht type of game but Summoner had a cool fighting system and it was really fun to explore the world. I wonder what their next could be.

#15 Posted by Yummylee (22062 posts) -

I have faith that the character creator will be Legendary.

#16 Posted by Overcast (14 posts) -

That video had me loling

#17 Posted by Protome (347 posts) -

It saddens me that it's labeled as a new franchise. I've been waiting so long for a third Summoner game :( 

#18 Posted by eldiax (632 posts) -

FREESPACE!

#19 Edited by fisk0 (4290 posts) -
@gosukiller said:

" Whenever I see the name Volition pop up I reinstall Freespace.  This is one of those moments. "

I never uninstall it. Too bad there is no game port for my joystick on any of my last 5 or 6 PC's though
#20 Posted by Waffles13 (611 posts) -
@eldiax said:
" FREESPACE! "
WORLD OF FREESPACE!

Oh God, someone make an MMO Freespace game. That would be the one thing to make me actually want to pay a subscription fee.

And no, EVE =! Freespace in any way, shape, or form.
#21 Posted by Driadon (3001 posts) -
@PjotrLeschenko: it still stands that it was viral before viral was viral.
#22 Posted by august (3854 posts) -

We need to hire Jason Bourne to break into the Interplay offices and steal the Freespace license. And punch everyone in the nuts.

#23 Posted by Pop (2644 posts) -

that video was awesome.

#24 Edited by MeruFM (23 posts) -
@august: I second the punching everyone at Interplay in the nuts. All 3 of them. Everyone I care from there is most definitely long gone.  They're just sitting on great franchises hoping to make a buck now.
#25 Posted by jos1ah (325 posts) -

I didn't "get" Summoner back in the day, but I definitely "got" Saint Row and Red Faction. Bring on the new game, Volition.

#26 Posted by Seppli (10251 posts) -

God yes!

Summoner 2 was one of my favorite RPGs in the PS2 era of things!

Oh how I missed a Volition crafted RPG! Finally!

#27 Edited by paulunga (2057 posts) -

First off, the version of that D'n'D skit I've seen most was the 8-bit Theater/Final Fantasy one. The Summoner version I've never even heard of before youtube happened.

Also, being European, I always think of Summoner as a PC game. Got some decent reviews when it came out and was fairly popular amongst the people I knew at the time.

#28 Posted by KinkyWizard (53 posts) -

ughhh

"Volition is searching for a Design Director"

does not sound to well. or promising.

#29 Posted by Lind_L_Taylor (3966 posts) -

I don't have any of that experience but I think I should apply for the job.

#30 Posted by Delta_Ass (3282 posts) -

I'd play a FreeSpace RPG.

Why aren't they making a FreeSpace RPG?!

#31 Posted by SatelliteOfLove (1369 posts) -

Volition needs to get their old logo back.

#32 Posted by McBonJon (159 posts) -

I wonder if they`ll use the Geo-Mod Technology from Red Faction Guerrilla for this game. 

#33 Posted by CharlieTuna (328 posts) -

I loved both Red Faction: Guerilla and the Saints Row games, looking forward to anything they can bring to the RPG genre. They're games might not be the deepest or the most sophisticated but they are always pure fun.

#34 Posted by shadowthrone (57 posts) -

hahaha, Dead Ale Wives. Classic stuff.

#35 Posted by august (3854 posts) -
@CharlieTuna said:
" I loved both Red Faction: Guerilla and the Saints Row games, looking forward to anything they can bring to the RPG genre. They're games might not be the deepest or the most sophisticated but they are always pure fun. "
They have made both rpgs and spaceflight sims previously.
#36 Posted by JohnZimmerman (199 posts) -

i know summoner was good despite it's flaws.

#37 Edited by selbie (1932 posts) -

More Freespace and less other-games!!

@Waffles13 said:

" @eldiax said:
" FREESPACE! "
WORLD OF FREESPACE!  Oh God, someone make an MMO Freespace game. That would be the one thing to make me actually want to pay a subscription fee.  And no, EVE =! Freespace in any way, shape, or form. "

Jumpgate Evolution and Black Prophecy might be the games you're looking for :)
#38 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

They're trying Summoner again ey. Worth a try I guess.

#39 Posted by Einherjan (592 posts) -

Are there any girls there?

#40 Posted by Splodge (1769 posts) -
@selbie: JGE has been in development for infinity though. BETA applications are worthless now as they opened it up for BETA about a year and a half ago but then put it back indefinitely. I don't think we will ever see JGE :(
#41 Posted by Saltank (188 posts) -

Ugh, to me, Volition is only known for the greatest game ever: Freespace 2.

#42 Posted by Pikachu (449 posts) -

I hope this rpg turns out to be great.

#43 Posted by gosukiller (2324 posts) -
@Saltank said:
" Ugh, to me, Volition is only known for the greatest game ever: Freespace 2. "
You are not alone. Freespace 2 is in my top 3 of all time.
I remember Ryan once saying in a bombcast he would pay several hundred dollars for a Freespace 3. That's their funding right there!
#44 Posted by c1337us (5751 posts) -

I remember that video. Good times.

#45 Posted by Dooops (227 posts) -

I hope they make it as fun as Saints Row was... just with a bit more polish though :)
#46 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Volition needs to give me fucking Saints Row 3 before they do anything else. Christ!

#47 Posted by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

I don't care what they're hiring or making, if more employees means more Volition games I'm in.

#48 Posted by superpope (129 posts) -

Sweet. Looking forward to looting my first +1 Sledgehammer of Collapsing buildings on your own head.
#49 Posted by Vod_Crack (731 posts) -

The Punisher RPG... calling it :P

#50 Posted by snaptroll (70 posts) -

I think everyone can agree at this point that Volition needs to stop f***ing around and just make a sequel to Freespace.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.