Eight Women, Eight Responses, and One Dead Island Riptide Statue

#2501 Edited by Archaen (146 posts) -

@CptBedlam said:

@FormLikeRONLOTV said:

I found the statue to be in poor taste, but not offensive.

Yup, pretty much how I see it.

So, what are the ~2500 comments about, guys?

People telling other people "I'm offended and you should be too, because it's objectively offensive." And those other people replying, naturally with "I don't think it's offensive and here's why."

#2502 Posted by TooWalrus (13305 posts) -

@2kings said:

It's a free speech thing guys. [...] You can't say that-

heh.

#2503 Posted by Snakepond (101 posts) -

Where's the sexism in decapitated, arm less, legless, blood soak torso?

I agree it's nasty and distasteful, but if someone wants to buy the stupid thing let them.

Have any of you played Dead Island? I have and the entire game is about killing zombies on an island filled with bikini girls and surfer boys.

#2504 Posted by skunkdragon (223 posts) -

If only there was as much debate over the the gun laws that are held so dear.

#2505 Posted by 2kings (149 posts) -

@TooWalrus said:

@2kings said:

It's a free speech thing guys. [...] You can't say that-

heh.

Way to take it Completely out of context. The spirit of my post is this. When FOX news get's all upity about our hobby we get crazy upset, how is this type of rehtoric any different? Also I still beg the question, who made any of us the gatekeepers of the morally just as it applies to this type of art? I see no one disputing that so let's proceed with the fact that this is indeed art. Regardless of our feelings on what it may or may not represent, it is somebody's creation is it not. Rap music is beloved and despised by millions. You could also say that Rap music is well known for it's deliberate sexism.

We accept it as "ART". Even though it's depiction of women has been overtly objectifying for decades. I guess what I'm saying is this, sometimes you gotta take the good with the bad and hope that the market will reflect the values we hope humanity holds. Just, if you're gonna have a "standard", you gotta hold everything else up to it. Otherwise you're just a hypocrite.

#2506 Posted by lazyturtle (1301 posts) -

So...beating people/zombies to death with clubs, axes, swords, guns, bombs, pipes, rakes, knives, bats...etc, etc. is fine, but show some unrealistic boobies..and OUTRAGE!

I honestly don't know who would actually WANT it, but its kinda a non-issue to me.

It seriously trips me out that the issue is that its a scantily clad woman's torso rather than the fact that it is a DISMEMBERED TORSO. Perspective people.

#2507 Edited by CptBedlam (4466 posts) -

@lazyturtle said:

So...beating people/zombies to death with clubs, axes, swords, guns, bombs, pipes, rakes, knives, bats...etc, etc. is fine, but show some unrealistic boobies..and OUTRAGE!

I honestly don't know who would actually WANT it, but its kinda a non-issue to me.

It seriously trips me out that the issue is that its a scantily clad woman's torso rather than the fact that it is a DISMEMBERED TORSO. Perspective people.

That's America for you. Maximum violence and no one cares but show a nipple and it becomes a story on all news channels.

In my opinion, sexual objectification and sexism are two different things. I'd consider it sexist if a woman was denied a job position because of her sex despite being equally or better qualified, for example. But criticising sexual objectification is just denying our innate instincts. Yes, it may be the cheapest method in the world for selling a product (if you want to complain, criticize the lazyness of the approach) and in this case it's utterly tasteless, too, but I wouldn't call this statue sexist.

#2508 Posted by Corvak (1196 posts) -

Write something else and get this bloody torso off the frontpage.

#2509 Edited by masterfaculty (160 posts) -

<p>The point is they would NEVER make a perfectly sculpted male torso, you dipshits.</p>

#2510 Edited by dsbnh (2 posts) -

@crcruz3 said:
Oh, yes. A creatonist like Friedrich Hayek, a Nobel Laureate.

There is no such thing as a Nobel prize in economics, so he cannot possibly be a Nobel Laureate.

There's a Sveriges Riksbank Prize in Economic Sciences in Memory of Alfred Nobel, but that isn't the same thing as a Nobel prize. It only exists because bankers paid a shitload of money to the Nobel prize committee. Nobel himself never established any such prize because economics is not a science. As you yourself so wonderfully illustrate, it is a largely malleable set of ideas intended to support your pet political agenda.

#2511 Posted by Brodehouse (10441 posts) -

REALLY?!

#2512 Posted by Nonused (254 posts) -

Ha ha ha...hahaha

HAHAHAHA!

#2513 Posted by Humanity (11131 posts) -

REALLY?!

Don't take the Nobel Laureate nomination lightly you philistine.

#2514 Edited by HatKing (6361 posts) -

I think I might love this.

#2515 Posted by Nekroskop (2831 posts) -

Do some people not understand the concept of time? People should be warned for necroing threads this old.

#2516 Edited by believer258 (12615 posts) -

Motherfucker.

#2517 Posted by Hunter5024 (6251 posts) -

Well this made me laugh out loud.

#2518 Edited by GreggD (4581 posts) -
#2519 Posted by joshwent (2644 posts) -

Do some people not understand the concept of time? People should be warned for necroing threads this old.

I'd almost always agree. Though seeing that after 51 pages this pointless argument over a little statue oppressing women has turned into fury over economics and Nobel prize specifics, kind of warms my heart.

#2520 Posted by afabs515 (1408 posts) -

Sweet! It's back! Now I don't feel bad that I didn't post on this the first time. Can't wait to see a revival of this crucial discussion of women's representations in the games industry that is so often ignored.

#2521 Posted by believer258 (12615 posts) -
#2522 Posted by Evilsbane (4988 posts) -
#2523 Edited by laserbolts (5439 posts) -

There is no god.

#2524 Edited by Brodehouse (10441 posts) -

@laserbolts: Finally something in this thread I agree with!

Is it possible to lock articles? Does Sweep have that power? This thing might be open forever and 8 months from now someone will pop up to argue that it's technically a bust and not a statue.

#2525 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (975 posts) -

Stahp.

#2526 Posted by laserbolts (5439 posts) -

@laserbolts: Finally something in this thread I agree with!

Is it possible to lock articles? Does Sweep have that power? This thing might be open forever and 8 months from now someone will pop up to argue that it's technically a bust and not a statue.

it's both duh.

#2527 Posted by Brodehouse (10441 posts) -

@laserbolts: You're supposed to wait 8 months to argue with me!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.