Is this something you can rent, or does it require a key?

#1 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2499 posts) -

Haven't checked, so I don't even know if this will show up on Redbox, but I wanted to check and see if there's a key it requires to play online. If I rent it and like it, I'm going to snap it up on the PC, never messed with the beta, but vaguely interested in it the way I enjoy the Earth Defense Force games, coop against tons of enemies and stacked missions to go through.

#2 Edited by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

It requires a CD key.

#3 Posted by Krakn3Dfx (2499 posts) -

It requires a CD key.

K, figured as much. Wish I'd messed with the beta a bit when it was going, but ah well. I'll just watch some of it on Twitch and make my decision based on that. Thanks.

#4 Posted by jaycrockett (469 posts) -

As far as I can tell the 360 doesn't require a key or any account registration besides having XBL Gold. There is a code in the back of the manual, but that's just for extra goodies, the game never prompted me for it.

#5 Posted by DeathTrap (257 posts) -

Don't you have to link it to a Trion account or something? Kind of surprising if you don't.

#6 Posted by jaycrockett (469 posts) -

Nope. I kept waiting for the tutorial to end and some sort of sign up/key entering, but then I realized I had been playing in the actual game for quite some time. I did link to a trion account eventually, but again, you don't have to.

Of course that doesn't mean you can find it for rent anywhere. Red box doesn't have it anyway. Gamefly does I guess.

If you are just looking for buying advice, I recommend it. Looks a lot better on PC too. Of course there are a lot of shooters available on PC, some for free. Part of the appeal for me was there is nothing like it on console.

#7 Posted by Quarters (1751 posts) -

Yeah, I don't think you need a key, but good luck finding it to rent.

Considering you only have to deal with the one time fee(and if you buy any DLC, add that to it), I say it's worth it. It just feels like a Borderlands-style Third Person Shooter with a more consistent world with content updates.

#8 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

As far as I can tell the 360 doesn't require a key or any account registration besides having XBL Gold. There is a code in the back of the manual, but that's just for extra goodies, the game never prompted me for it.

Oh snap. Sorry for spreading misinformation, then! I would've thought the console versions be no different regarding account access.

#9 Posted by jaycrockett (469 posts) -

By the way, I finally got my items from the key in the manual and it turned out to be the pre-order stuff (I didn't pre-order). I don't know if it was just because I got it at gamestop and all their copies had the pre-order key or what. I hope the the GS clerk didn't sell me some poor schmoe's pre-order copy.

Items weren't that great, but there was a 3 day xp boost.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.