Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

A Demon's Souls story, and impressions

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Edited By Naughton

I come out of a guard tower, standing on a giant stone wall, one that is full of demonic enemies. The next hundred yards should be fun. Full health? Check. It’s go time. I cautiously progress toward the next tower when, suddenly, the ground beneath me starts to shake. A red dragon swoops in, opens its mouth, and breathes down fiery halitosis upon the hell-spawned bastards. None of them survive. I quickly sprint ahead, barely arriving at the second tower before the dragon makes another deadly pass.

I do this two more times, finally arriving at the end of the wall, where I am met with a wall of fog. Once again, I check my health, still full, and proceed past the wall. Shortly, I will wish I hadn’t.

I enter into the next room, only to be greeted by two giant legs, in platemail. As I look up, I find more than feet. If only it stopped with the feet. I’d wager that this armored being is, at least, 50 feet tall. But I know what I need to do. I hold up my shield and creep toward him. He then hits me with his lance, killing me instantly.

I have not yet been back to that room.

I honestly don’t know why I find Demon’s Souls so enjoyable, because it is a truly grueling experience. There’s only one difficulty spike in Demon’s Souls, and it’s the one the game shoves up your ass about 5 minutes in. This game isn’t just hard, it’s punishing. Demon’s Souls hates you, and will do everything in it’s power to punish you for making the slightest mistake.

Demon’s Souls is a survival horror game in disguise. Or at least you’ll play it like one. Many areas are dimly lit, and others will be completely dark altogether. The game requires a slow and steady pace, going commando will get you nowhere but dead. Healing items become scarce rather quickly, and are rather expensive to purchase.

But Demon’s Souls actually beats survival horror at it’s own game in one huge regard; it makes you fear death. Because death in Demon’s Souls carries a heavy consequence, and it can happen seemingly out of nowhere. In no survival horror game have I actually been so tense, so afraid of what could be around the next corner or wall of fog.

But the feeling of succeeding against the adversities the game throws your way is amazing. Even beating a sub-boss makes the player feel godlike. I’m shuddering a little even saying this, but it makes me wish the majority of games were harder. I was going to say that Demon’s Souls was the hardest game I’ve played this year, but in actuality, it was the only hard game I’ve played this year at all. Not that all games have to be mind-numbingly difficult, but I can’t even think of another game this year where I’ve really felt challenged.

I’d highly recommend playing Demon’s Souls, at least just to see what it’s all about.

P.S.- It's all about kicking your ass.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Naughton

I come out of a guard tower, standing on a giant stone wall, one that is full of demonic enemies. The next hundred yards should be fun. Full health? Check. It’s go time. I cautiously progress toward the next tower when, suddenly, the ground beneath me starts to shake. A red dragon swoops in, opens its mouth, and breathes down fiery halitosis upon the hell-spawned bastards. None of them survive. I quickly sprint ahead, barely arriving at the second tower before the dragon makes another deadly pass.

I do this two more times, finally arriving at the end of the wall, where I am met with a wall of fog. Once again, I check my health, still full, and proceed past the wall. Shortly, I will wish I hadn’t.

I enter into the next room, only to be greeted by two giant legs, in platemail. As I look up, I find more than feet. If only it stopped with the feet. I’d wager that this armored being is, at least, 50 feet tall. But I know what I need to do. I hold up my shield and creep toward him. He then hits me with his lance, killing me instantly.

I have not yet been back to that room.

I honestly don’t know why I find Demon’s Souls so enjoyable, because it is a truly grueling experience. There’s only one difficulty spike in Demon’s Souls, and it’s the one the game shoves up your ass about 5 minutes in. This game isn’t just hard, it’s punishing. Demon’s Souls hates you, and will do everything in it’s power to punish you for making the slightest mistake.

Demon’s Souls is a survival horror game in disguise. Or at least you’ll play it like one. Many areas are dimly lit, and others will be completely dark altogether. The game requires a slow and steady pace, going commando will get you nowhere but dead. Healing items become scarce rather quickly, and are rather expensive to purchase.

But Demon’s Souls actually beats survival horror at it’s own game in one huge regard; it makes you fear death. Because death in Demon’s Souls carries a heavy consequence, and it can happen seemingly out of nowhere. In no survival horror game have I actually been so tense, so afraid of what could be around the next corner or wall of fog.

But the feeling of succeeding against the adversities the game throws your way is amazing. Even beating a sub-boss makes the player feel godlike. I’m shuddering a little even saying this, but it makes me wish the majority of games were harder. I was going to say that Demon’s Souls was the hardest game I’ve played this year, but in actuality, it was the only hard game I’ve played this year at all. Not that all games have to be mind-numbingly difficult, but I can’t even think of another game this year where I’ve really felt challenged.

I’d highly recommend playing Demon’s Souls, at least just to see what it’s all about.

P.S.- It's all about kicking your ass.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Oh yeah, The Tower Knight is the defination of...epic. Its also one of the easiest boss' in the game might I add =P

radium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By radium

Glad to see you liked it, and yes dragons are bastards. Can't believe you're having issues with healing items I have so many Stockpile Thomas is full. I do agree that more games need to be harder, thinking back, I don't think I died once in the time I've played AC2and that applies to other games this year as well.

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By cstrang

God damn it.  I want to play this game now.

Naughton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Naughton
    @cstrang: Do it.
    xShR3Dx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By xShR3Dx

Fucking love Demons Souls I have almost beat New Game +. One of the most addicting games ever.
    aliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By aliss
    @xShR3Dx said:
    " Fucking love Demons Souls
     One of the most addicting games ever. "

for sure! i beat it for the first time on Monday night; thought i might take a break and start playing Arkham Asylum, Borderlands, or Infamous -- all of which I bought but haven't even touched yet b/c DS is so good!

but instead, i went into NG+ and battled black phantoms for a while. so addictive! :)
    Avatar image for bobby_the_great
    Bobby_The_Great

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Bobby_The_Great

My number 2 GOTY. It's awesome. The Tower Knight was when I realized just how epic this game was (and it very much is an epic game), but my favorite boss to show you just how punishing and challenging this game is, is on 3-2.  

You'll see soon enough... >=)
    majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

#9  Edited By majormitch
    @Bobby_The_Great said:
    " My number 2 GOTY. It's awesome. The Tower Knight was when I realized just how epic this game was (and it very much is an epic game), but my favorite boss to show you just how punishing and challenging this game is, is on 3-2.   You'll see soon enough... >=) "
    Godamn maneaters.

And yeah, in response to the OP, I would like to see more challenging games like this, so long as they are this well designed.
    Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Chojin

Oh, this game is FULL of moments like that.

Spoiler:

I was playing the Tower of Latria level a couple of days ago, and thought it would be a good idea to lend my help to someone else to get to know the level with some back up. So I dropped a soul sign, and as I was summoned I noticed how the screen said that I was being summoned as a BLACK phantom. I didn’t even have the Black Eye Stone at that moment so I thought it was a bug or something. Then there was a cut scene with me being summoned in front of this demon in a room with a fog door which I couldn’t exit. At this point I was so confused and had NO idea what was going on.

All of a sudden another player comes through the door and I notice MY life bar at the bottom of the screen, and I realize that I AM the freaking boss. This player has to beat ME in order to finish this level.

The battle lasted for 20 min, since he of course wanted to beat the level, and I of course thought that this is my one and only chance to get some rare item, by beating this guy. Which I did and which I got;)

But seriously, afterwards my heart was pounding like I`d been running and I had to take a break to just sit there and think about what just happened. That was without a doubt one of the coolest moments I`ve EVER experienced in a video game.

aliss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By aliss
    @Chojin said:
    "  

I was playing the Tower of Latria level a couple of days ago, and thought it would be a good idea to lend my help to someone else to get to know the level with some back up. So I dropped a soul sign, and as I was summoned I noticed how the screen said that I was being summoned as a BLACK phantom. I didn’t even have the Black Eye Stone at that moment so I thought it was a bug or something. Then there was a cut scene with me being summoned in front of this demon in a room with a fog door which I couldn’t exit. At this point I was so confused and had NO idea what was going on."

yeah the exact same thing happened to me! 

unfortunately the other dude died before he even made it into the room, so i got my body back at no cost.....but kind of a drag b/c pvp battles are sweet
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai
    @Naughton:  
    Great Story. Made me laugh but I'm sure you didn't. Better luck next time with the Tower Knight. Hint, If you're a combat dude then the secret to defeating him is actually in your post but if you're a magic user then the all I can tell you is 'UP'.  

I fully agree with you that Demon's Souls makes you fear death and it's amazing that I still lift my shield up going into areas I know no one is going to be there or I already killed everyone there. I never thought about Demon's Souls as a survival Horror but I think you made me change my mind about it. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.