Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Anyone Else Feel a Little Lost?

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, I just spent about six hours playing Demon's Souls and I'm kind of lost. While I'm all for open world games Demon's Souls really doesn't give you much direction at all. It just kind of opens up a bunch of territory and leaves it up to you to decide where you should be going. While I suppose this fits into the mind set of the game I'm finding it kind of off putting. Half the time I was playing I felt as though I didn't really know if I should be there or not. In addition the rather sparse story leaves me wondering why I'm even in some of these places and killing the things I'm killing.

This isn't meant to bash the game. I think it's wonderful for what it is and I'm going to keep at it. It's just that...well it all seems kind of aimless at the moment.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
    @CenturionCajun: This sounds how I felt about Oblivion. I think its just the nature of these types of games.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Diamond

That's a big reason why people like it I think, that's a big reason why I liked it.  It's part of the fun, 'should I go in that room?'  'if I go in there and I shouldn't I might die'.  It's those critical choices and the sense of exploration that's all too rare in modern games with waypoints and markers.

Of course you can always look up a FAQ if you really don't know where you should be heading.  It's not fun to spend hours wandering around in circles either.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By CenturionCajun

Yeah, I spent a good hour or more getting the rhythm of things down so I could get into the Tower Knight's courtyard. Once there I got destroyed in seconds since I had no idea what to do and had to go back and do it all again. Rather off putting when you don't even know if that's the boss you should be going up against yet.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Diamond
    @CenturionCajun said:
    Yeah, I spent a good hour or more getting the rhythm of things down so I could get into the Tower Knight's courtyard. Once there I got destroyed in seconds since I had no idea what to do and had to go back and do it all again. Rather off putting when you don't even know if that's the boss you should be going up against yet.
    Same thing happened to me.  First time I got to the door I was wondering if there'd be a boss, but I couldn't tell for sure.  I go in and oh crap, I knew I was already dead and my souls were lost because if I came back there I'd just die again.

I actually did look up a FAQ on tips on how to beat tower knight and it was still a bitch.  Got it on my 4th try or so though (I actually completed 2-1 and 4-1 before 1-2 if I remember right).
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By subject2change

You can go up against any boss you please, however i did it pretty much in order from 1-1, 1-2 to 2-1 etc (you can't go on with Boltaria until you clear one final boss). 4-1 is a great area for grinding. 

Tower Knight was fun when I did it, you just gotta learn how to roll to avoid stuff, use a lot of healing stuff when necessary.

Game is all about exploring and experimentation.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Gabriel

Tower knight was easy for me, now the flamelurker fuck that thing.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, the Tower Knight is proving to be kicking my butt. I can take out all his crossbowmen but I can't seem to get behind him. He just shield bashes me into the ground. And this is the few times I've actually been able to get to him.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Coltonio7

THAT'S THE POINT

HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Am I the only one that felt that the Tower Knight was like a lite version of the first Colosss in SotC?
    Eisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Eisen
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " Well, the Tower Knight is proving to be kicking my butt. I can take out all his crossbowmen but I can't seem to get behind him. He just shield bashes me into the ground. And this is the few times I've actually been able to get to him. "
    Make certain you equip burden is <50% of the max or you get a movement speed reduction.  This may be causing your problem.
    donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By donchipotle

I thought the Tower Knight was a really fun boss. The archers made it a bitch, but dispatching them made the fight a whole lot of fun. He was also easy to  cheese if you stood up top where his ranged attack couldn't hit you and you just use heavy arrows. But the real fun is getting behind him and exploiting the weakspot. 

But yeah once the other worlds opened up  I had no idea where I was supposed to go. After nearly getting wiped out by the enemies in 2-1 (I didn't have a pierce weapon. This has been remedied), I went to 3-1 and got really creeped out. But I think the freedom is one of the strengths.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CenturionCajun
    @Eisen: Ahh, I didn't know that. Maybe I'll drop my secondary weapon.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By CenturionCajun

Ahh, I just took down the Tower Knight. It's moments like that that make this game worthwhile. The feeling of accomplishment.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By eroticfishcake
    @CenturionCajun said:
    " Ahh, I just took down the Tower Knight. It's moments like that that make this game worthwhile. The feeling of accomplishment. "
    There you go! You just nailed down what everyone loves about this game. Difficult but rewarding.
    MrGetBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By MrGetBonus

Congrats on takin him down. Feels good doesnt it? Man, all this talk about this game now that it's out in NA is makin me wanna play this again.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17  Edited By King9999

I took down the Tower Knight with a group in order to get my body back.  Good times. :)

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CenturionCajun

I did it solo. Which was...annoying to say the least. While finally getting him was rewarding as all get out I don't know if it quite outweighs the hours and hours and frustration and repetition before. We'll see how the next area goes now that I've upgraded considerably from the deluge of souls from him.

PowerBombYo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By PowerBombYo

Yeah, the first time I fought the Flamelurker, I died. Second time, I summoned another player. Whoever I summoned had some kind of weapon that pretty much destroyed that thing. I was going to try to kill it with a bow and regular arrows.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm having a fun time with the Armored Spider at the moment. I have barely used ranged weapons up until now but it looks like this is the place to learn. Things are starting to feel a big grindey to me. I've found myself having to go back and clear out previous areas to build up enough souls to upgrade my equipment and level up.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By pause422

Its not an open world game...I dont really see how anyone gets lost. In the levels themselves there are a lot of secrets, hidden passages, stuff like that. You can definitely venture off the main path, but they generally lead you exactly where you need to be within that level. I dont really understand how people are getting lost in it.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm not talking about getting lost within the levels themselves. As you stated they are for the most part pretty straightforward. I'm more talking about being lost in the sense that you are given very little direction as to what world you should be in and such.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pause422

I guess I understand what you mean in that sense. Pretty sure the standard progression though is after world 1-2, the next 1 or 2 steps up that same set up steps on that side being teh next, the place with the weird miner dudes. It seems so to me at least, Its up to the player though, once they leave several places open, its pretty much your decision. Obviously,  you would want to be a bit more powerful for some of them..and that will be pretty obvious right off the bat if its the case.

yyZiggurat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By yyZiggurat
    @CenturionCajun said:

" Things are starting to feel a big grindey to me. I've found myself having to go back and clear out previous areas to build up enough souls to upgrade my equipment and level up. "

4-1 is a great place for quick souls.  Hell, all of Shrine of Storms is good for getting souls, not to say the level is easy.  Just bring a blunt or slashing weapon (Scimitar is my weapon of choice, I killed four invading black phantoms with it in a row) and stay away from the black red eyed skeleton.

No Caption Provided
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CenturionCajun

Well, I just took down the Armored Spider. Wasn't too hard once you got the swing of things.

CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CenturionCajun

****SPOILERS****

Ok, so I'm in world 3-2. Coming across Yurt in a cage I remember that he's bad news and I should off him. Plus he has some sweet armor. So, as soon as I let him out of his cell I backstab him to get the drop...only to have him fall off the pillar we were standing on. Now I can't find his body which means no sweet armor for me. So, a word of warning to you all. If you're going to kill Yurt, and you should since he'll kill NPCs in the Nexus, then either be very careful or off him in the Nexus. Argh.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.