Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Demon's Souls

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Oct 06, 2009

Demon's Souls is an action-RPG developed by From Software and released in 2009. It quickly became popular within hardcore circles for its relentlessly steep difficulty level, deep combat system, and unique multiplayer integration.

Demon's Souls: Best way to Advance in the Game?

Avatar image for feelthefunkness
    FeelTheFunkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FeelTheFunkness

So, the other day I picked up demon's souls, and have been having a blast with it so far... Up until I got to the Tower Knight boss. I managed to kill all of the crossbow men around him, but I am having a very tough time defeating the actual boss. The targeting for me is not really helping (although I had no problems with it up to  this point, probably because you just only target the whole enemy, not specific body parts). After getting decimated by this boss a couple of times, I am going to try a different strategy. There is a way you can farm the red eyed knight in world 1-1 for souls and I have considered that. I am also thinking of just starting a new game and playing as a Royalty character (currently I am a knight) and using that soul arrow trick. So I'm wondering, which would be an easier way to defeat this boss?

Thanks for both your input and empathy.

Vamino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Vamino

I was a... Temple Knight? Is that a thing? Armoured character with heal to start. That Tower Knight gave me some trouble too. I think I ended up farming souls to get my magic stats high enough and bought Soul Arrow to take him down (with plenty of mp restorative items).

WizardShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By WizardShazam

The Royalty class is certainly a way to make the opening sections a tad more manageable.  Against the tower knight, specifically, you can use the ramparts up top to block a lot of his shots and just pick and choose your opportunities to shoot him in the head.  If you run low on mp, the royal's fragrance ring restores it gradually so you could just hang back for a bit and let it recharge.  I ran with a dex/ranged build so I can't help much with melee builds, other than to say hit him in the back of the foot and try not to get crushed.

FeelTheFunkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FeelTheFunkness

So Royalty would be a good idea, but is there a way for the knight to use a technique like the one the Royalty uses against this boss? Like instead of using Soul Arrow just get a bow and arrows, or will that not have the same sort of damage as Soul Arrow?

matiaz_tapia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By matiaz_tapia

Yup, either arrows or Soul arrows. Stay where the crossbow men you killed where and find the right rhythm on his animation to hit him in the head and at the same time avoid his ranged attack. 

Getting people to help you out is always an option...a tedious option if there's not many people playing at the time, but 1 or 2 companions make all the difference in the world. You probably won't want to fight the second boss on the Tower of Latria alone :).

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By teh_pwnzorer

Compound long bow (or better) and heavy arrows.  The compound long bow can be found in 4-1.

WizardShazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By WizardShazam
    Yeah, the compound long bow mentioned above is a good option.  It will not have the same damage as soul arrow, especially with a strength focused melee class but with enough arrows, you can kill nearly anything in the game from range.  As also mentioned, calling in some help is always a viable option.  Just remember that as long as you are in body form, you run the risk of black phantom invasion so stay on your toes. 

@Matiaz_Tapia
    said:
    You probably won't want to fight the second boss on the Tower of Latria alone :).  
    That guys was easily my least favorite boss in the game until I found a little trick to him that makes the battle at least 50% easier.
    FeelTheFunkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By FeelTheFunkness

So you don't have to do the levels in order? So if I went to the 4-1 level like you said, would the enemies be much harder than what my level can handle? Or do they scale to the player's level?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By Icemael

The Tower Knight signals his attacks like a year in advance. You should have plenty of time to get out of their areas of effect, and if you don't, it's got nothing to do with your stats. Unless all his attacks kill you in one hit so you don't even get a chance to use health items when you make a mistake, grinding isn't gonna help.

amoremono1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By amoremono1

Whenever I got stuck on a boss in DS id first join someone elses game and help them out/try to pick up on their strategies, and if I still had trouble, summon my own posse to team up on that MF.  Demons Souls Multiplayer is the best!!

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Nasar7
    @FeelTheFunkness said:
    " So you don't have to do the levels in order? So if I went to the 4-1 level like you said, would the enemies be much harder than what my level can handle? Or do they scale to the player's level? "
    The difficulty of the levels/enemies is static. I would suggest that you skip Tower Knight for now and go back to him later when your character is higher leveled and you understand the mechanics of the game better. I recommend that you move on to 2-1, then 3-1, 4-1, and 5-1. From there you can decide how you want to proceed. Feel free to add me PSN: Apollumio I wouldn't mind rolling a new character to show you the ropes :)
    SpiralStairs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By SpiralStairs

I didn't even know you could lock on to enemies when I beat the Tower Knight. I beat it on my second try. The hard part is actually getting to him IMO, especially because of that fucking dragon.

If you just learn his attack pattern it should be no problem. Just make sure to bring plenty of healing items in case you get hit.

MMkain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MMkain

I beat the tower knight by taking off all of my armor, because you will probably die if you get hit anyway, and running to his behind every time he tried to strike me. Also, you can deal massive damage to him by attacking his heel until he falls down and then going for his head. Just watch out for his stomps.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By onarum

Yeah, starting as the royalty class is like the easy mode (and there's nothing wrong with that), beating the tower knight with magic is piss easy, you just stay on top of the wall (in one of the spots where the crossbowman were) and shoot constantly at his head with  soul arrows, just avoiding his ranged attacks, but they are so slow that it is no problem at all.

I think that arrows will do a good job as well, it'll probably do less damage though, but still it's easy.

Now beating him with a melee only character, that's effin hard, my first character was a melee, I was able to beat him on the second try, all you have to do is hit him in the ankles until he falls, then hit him in the head, having a light character is key, because the evading roll is probably the single most important feature in the game, especially for melee characters, so you want your guy to be light in order to roll properly.

Also beating the game on the first run through is quite manageable, even with a melee only character, I beat the entire thing on my own, didn't have help in any of the bosses, new game+ is pretty much impossible though, especially without magic.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Vorbis

The game is meant to be played in the 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 1-2, 2-2 etc order. But most don't as the difficulty isn't always the same. However I would either try to summon some help for the Tower Knight, or go and do 2-1 first. That way you unlock the blacksmith there who can help you upgrade your weapons.

I think the order I did it was 1-1, 2-1, 2-2, 1-2. By that time the Tower Knight wasn't so tough.

Rerolling really isn't needed, especially just for Soul Arrow. My character was a pure tank and everything went fine.

vegoku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By vegoku

stay up where the archers were, and right when the knight launches his distance attack, hit him with a soul arrow magic and repeat until dead... once you cast it, run back some or else you might get hit by the knight's attack

it takes time, but is by far the easiest method

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18  Edited By recroulette

Beat 4-1 as fast as you can. You can get a club from one of the other early levels to help beat the skeletons. 
    And there is a shortcut that bypasses most of the level.
    The boss of 4-1 is pretty easy if you use melee, just watch his moves and dodge.
    If you can get right up to him, then he shouldnt be able to touch you.

Then start farming the Grim Reaper in 4-2 for quick leveling.

FeelTheFunkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By FeelTheFunkness
    @Vorbis:  So other classes can get the Soul Arrow?
    jimi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By jimi

Go royalty, complete 4-1, get Crescent Falchion (from behind the red skeleton), at this point you have a good enough weapon to beat most worlds.

Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Chojin
    @FeelTheFunkness: 

You can build any class exactly the way you want. Every time you level up you decide what stats to increase. Currently I play as a Knight as well. The first thing I do, no matter what class I initially choose, is to farm 1-1 and get Soul Arrow. Then I farm 1-1 & 1-2 and get Evacuate. Those two are the only 2 spells you need as a melee character, and will help you to quickly get a good bow and makes farming a lot easier in the beginning.

Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Vorbis
    @FeelTheFunkness said:
    " @Vorbis:  So other classes can get the Soul Arrow? "
    Yeah, basically they are just starting classes, the biggest factor in choosing a class should be what armour they use, as the armour will last a long time. Spells and weapons are easily learnt and replaced. I chose Knight to start with as it had the best looking armour.
    Reuben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Reuben

Go through the game once as a Royal then you'll know the game well enough to start it off with a harder character the 2nd time around. That's what I did.

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Kazzurak
    @Chojin said:
    " @FeelTheFunkness: 

You can build any class exactly the way you want. Every time you level up you decide what stats to increase. Currently I play as a Knight as well. The first thing I do, no matter what class I initially choose, is to farm 1-1 and get Soul Arrow. Then I farm 1-1 & 1-2 and get Evacuate. Those two are the only 2 spells you need as a melee character, and will help you to quickly get a good bow and makes farming a lot easier in the beginning.

"
    Flame Toss is also good for melee characters when youre going through world 3, and also really?! farming 1-1, 1-2 for 20k souls ? why not complete 4-1 and do the reaper?
    Chojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chojin
    @Kazzurak:  

Because 4-1 can be a real pain without Soul Arrow as a low level character, and I prefer Evacuate when I farm 4-2. Playing through 1-1 & 1-2 including bosses and red+blue eyed knights gives you enough souls fairly quickly.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Possibly try raising luck and hoping for colorless souls to drop

Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Kazzurak
    @Chojin: But the new person might wanna increase stats instead of getting evacuate at that lvl also flame toss is better then soul arrow in 4-1. flame toss will stagger the black skeletons and you will be casting the next before hes near you, also theres a shortcut in 4-1 which will make u skip over half the stage if the enemys are the problem
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Chojin said:
    " @Kazzurak:   Because 4-1 can be a real pain without Soul Arrow as a low level character, and I prefer Evacuate when I farm 4-2. Playing through 1-1 & 1-2 including bosses and red+blue eyed knights gives you enough souls fairly quickly. "
    @Kazzurak said:
    " @Chojin: But the new person might wanna increase stats instead of getting evacuate at that lvl also flame toss is better then soul arrow in 4-1. flame toss will stagger the black skeletons and you will be casting the next before hes near you, also theres a shortcut in 4-1 which will make u skip over half the stage if the enemys are the problem "
    4-1 is the way to go. Use any shield. Even if you're a magic-only character you can use a crappy shield. Use any weapon in the other hand, even your fist. Equip the Thief's Ring to make it even easier (makes the whole game a lot easier, too). The rest is simple. Tip-toe towards the skeletons, when they start to roll, stand still. Lock-on. Shield up. When they roll into you, you'll block it. Whatever their next attack is, you can simply roll to the side, then just combo the skeleton. If he's not dead, repeat. If your stamina is low, simply run (not sprint) away with your shield down. If he starts to charge you again, simply pull your shield back up. Even if you don't have full stamina, you'll have enough for a couple hits, at least. 

An even easier approach to the above method is to block his initial roll-damage, then - while he's winding up and attacking the air - sprint around behind him and backstab him. You'll have all your stamina by the time he goes to attack again. 

For the rest of the enemies, simply tip-toe along your destined path, coaxing one out at a time, and do the same trick as above. Just roll when you hear lightning strikes, run straight past the Vanguard, climb up the ladder, and you'll be at the easy boss before you know it. If you (the OP) need help with the boss of this stage, just reply to this. And to everyone else, I know there's an even quicker shortcut, but I don't feel like explaining it, and it might also be better for a new person to simply play the level to at least most of its extent.
    Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Kazzurak
    @FunExplosions: I agree that 4-1 is easy to complete and therefore u can easily unlock 4-2 for farming, BUT the skeleton thingy isnt completely true theres some trouble with the skeletons if you dont have a strong weapon (like a mace or a magic weapon) i tried to do it with a knight jsut after 1-1 and it went terrible i only dealt like 25 damage to them each hit but with magic it will definetly be a walk in the park. 

The shortcut is hard to explain you will probably have to see it before you can do it, but if you dont wanna take the risk of running past Vanguard you can allways just take the hidden passage and free graverobber Blige now your at it, then youll come up behind vanguard, or even easier if your a magician  SPOILER WARNING: Click here to reveal hidden content.
    FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Kazzurak: Can't get your spoiler tag to work, don't know if it's me or what. 

And yeah, I forgot to mention that. Any new person will probably want to unlock Blige, especially if they plan on using bows (reeeally helpful in 4-2). If nothing else, though, it's nice to know what he sells. 

As far as the melee skeleton approach I described. It works, man. You really gotta stick with it step by step, but it works. I've done it with a level 1 Royal on several occasions. It's definitely not easy for a new person, but it can be done. Think of it as David vs. Goliath. It seems impossible, hacking away little by little at this menacing foe, but as long as you stick with it you'll kill 'em. It gets to be second-nature after you've done it a couple times. 

But yeah, man. I'd STRONGLY recommend Soul Arrow for anyone. It can be used with the same tactics above, just replacing the combos with one quick Soul Arrow cast. And the good part about using magic is that you'll always have a little stamina to fall back on. 

And as far as Vanguard goes. Really, you can just run right past him. Make yourself light so you can sprint faster (I personally can't play the game any other way) and just go right past him. He won't chase you more than a couple steps.
    Kazzurak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Kazzurak
    @FunExplosions: I just wanna make sure that you dont think im haveing problems with the skeletons but its frustrating to take 10 hits to kill a skeleton when a mace can do it in 2-3 if you understand and as you described yourself a royal lvl 1 can do it easily because of magic basiclly and even if u start as a knight you cna go buy soul arrow right away if thats your thing. 

To Vanguard well i never tried to run past him i ususally jsut do the soul arrow stuff 

EDIT: Also i dunno whats wrong with ym spoiler tag maybe im doing something wrong ? i just mark the sentence i want spoiler tagged and press the red ! mark?
    Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Akeldama

get a good bow and grind the fuck out of 4-2's first area.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FunExplosions
    @Kazzurak: Nah, I don't think you're particularly stuck. I wrote most of that because I just love talking about this game. And I also would like anyone that reads that to take the advice, should they want it. As far as your spoiler tag goes, sometimes those things just get messed up. The best way to make sure they work is to type your entire post out, then go back and spoiler highlight at the very end. Any editing near the spoiler tag will usually mess the link up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.