Demon's Souls experts, I need your help

#1 Edited by Ares42 (2550 posts) -

Finally got around to booting up Demon's Souls after being converted by Dark Souls PC this summer and enjoying it a lot, but there's an area early in the game that I cannot for the life of me find my way back to. All I remember is that there was 3 barrels (with a red stripe) blocking a stairway, and I decided to let it be as I was afraid the barrels would blow up on me. I've done 1-1, 1-2, 2-1 and been to 2-2 and 3-1. Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

#2 Posted by Sterling (2050 posts) -

That sounds like an area in 1-1, where you are descending some stairs, and you get to a part with a little wooden bridge and there are three explosive barrels on it blocking the way to the next stairs. There are also two dudes with pole weapons on fire, and they will cause the barrels to explode, killing themselves.

#3 Posted by Ares42 (2550 posts) -

Hm, nope not it =/ that one has only 2 barrels. It was a place I arrived at that had the barrels blocking some stairs going upwards.

#4 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Do you have any idea what world/level/whatever it was in?

#5 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

@Ares42: I think you are talking about an area in 2-1 which lets you go up and around some guys who are throwing rocks at you. Also, Barrels don't explode unless you use fire on them.

#6 Posted by Fredchuckdave (5158 posts) -

If you want to get the most out of Demon's Souls then just do worlds 1 through 4 and ignore the fact that 5 even exists. The ending is okay but it's nothing too stellar and you'll feel better about From Software not having experienced the Shawshank-like river of shit that is the Valley of Defilement.

#7 Posted by Ares42 (2550 posts) -

@mordukai:man, I had completely given up and moved on and then today I stumbled over video where someone went up there and it seems you were totally right. Gotta love how you get so into these games you remember every tiny detail like that =D

#8 Posted by whatisdelicious (1194 posts) -

@Ares42: It helps that with Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, you play those same areas over and over and over and over. I can mentally walk from one end of Lordran to the other from memory because I've been over every inch of that place several times.

The easiest way to ruin that game: if they had given you a map.

#9 Posted by mordukai (7125 posts) -

@Fredchuckdave said:

If you want to get the most out of Demon's Souls then just do worlds 1 through 4 and ignore the fact that 5 even exists. The ending is okay but it's nothing too stellar and you'll feel better about From Software not having experienced the Shawshank-like river of shit that is the Valley of Defilement.

You have no idea much this post made me laugh. 5-2 is brutal. I remember this one time that I was in a shitty mood so I kept invading this one guy on 5-2 over and over again. Poor man...

@Ares42: Glad to help. I have to ask though. What made you looking for that one spot in particular?

#10 Edited by Fredchuckdave (5158 posts) -

@mordukai: I'm sure you'd likely agree with me but the distinction is not merely that it's difficult (I actually found it to be the easiest world) but that it's straight up badly designed, every boss is trivial and every regular enemy has poorly designed hitboxes and animation routines. The lone saving grace is that you can skip almost every enemy in 5-1 and 5-2, but it's still just a tedious chug even clearing the entire thing without dying so you can go fight False King and Flamelurker on the next playthrough. If World 5 was difficult and well designed I'd absolutely love it since I still think Boletarian Palace is arguably the best stand alone "level" in any RPG period; though I suppose the Great Cathedral from Vagrant Story is still superior. As Dark Souls doesn't really have "levels" in the Demon's Souls sense I don't think Anor Londo is eligible for this discussion, albeit it's certainly one of the best "zones" in any game.

This guy's last 20 or so videos on his playlist are all him invading and becoming more and more of a fotm douchebag player as he descends into the corrupting evil of Dark Souls multiplayer: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL939A4F517EBD0209

#11 Posted by Ares42 (2550 posts) -

@mordukai: Well, isn't that a major part of what these games are about ? exploring every inch of the dungeon. You never know if there's gonna be some great weapon or armor right around the corner.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.